Activity Monitor/System Memory doesn’t recognize the whole amount of RAM

Emagical

6 posts in this topic

Hi there, please help me to understand what is going wrong with my machine.

What I have:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard

i7-960 3.2GHz 8MB LGA1366 CPU

GIGABYTE GV-R6870C-1GD video,

Kingston SSD 120GB HyperX SATA3 6G SH100S3/120G system HD

40GB RAM (Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB memory sticks (KHX16C9/8) x4; 4GB memory sticks (KHX1600C9D3/4G) x2)

OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Bootloader

Previously I had 32GB of RAM that worked fine (Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB memory sticks (KHX16C9/8) x2; 4GB memory sticks (KHX1600C9D3/4G) x4).

Because I constantly use Kontakt’s sound library under Logic I needed to upgrade my RAM to 40 GB. This amount of RAM memory would be enough for me. So, I bought two 8GB sticks and now I have 40 GB RAM inside my machine.

The System Profiler shows the 40GB is recognized (see the picture). But when I open Activity Monitor (System Memory page) to see what's going on, I find that the pie graph only shows 32GB (see the picture).

What’s wrong?

What do I need to do to get Snow Leo to recognize the whole amount (40GB) of RAM, not to ‘see’ 32GB only?

Dear professionals, how do I solve my problem?

I tried swapping memory sticks into different slots, but it didn’t help.

post-1165731-0-77351900-1368275610_thumb.jpgpost-1165731-0-50651900-1368275609_thumb.jpg

Install the latest version of Chameleon.

See commit 2203: http://forge.voodoop...ce/commit/2203/

Hopefully that fixes this bug for good.

Thank you very much for your reply, I appreciate it.

I had a look at the link you gave me and I understood that without further advice I won't be able to fix the problem - it's quite complicated for me.

Would you mind giving a step-by-step explanation of how I need to install latest Chameleon?

My manual install guide:

http://forum.voodoop...x.php/topic,649

You must register to download.

There are automated installers around as well, if installing manually seems intimidating to you you can look for those.

The bootloader itself comprises of 3 files. Make sure you know exactly where on your drives and partitions those were installed so that you properly replace the old version when upgrading.