Cant get the boot loader to load!

19 posts in this topic

Greetings InsanelyMac Community!

I installed Mountain Lion on my HD. After that i installed Chameleon boot loader ( the newest one on their offical website ) when i restarted the computer i got the boot loader working. So i installed Windows 7 on the other partition ( since i had 2 partitions on my HD. Was going to dual boot windows and mac ) Once i installed windows. The boot loader wont show up. So i cant switch between Windows and Mac. I have to use the installation CD Boot loader to be able to switch. can any one please tell me what the problem is!? Thank you!

Greetings InsanelyMac Community!

I installed Mountain Lion on my HD. After that i installed Chameleon boot loader ( the newest one on their offical website ) when i restarted the computer i got the boot loader working. So i installed Windows 7 on the other partition ( since i had 2 partitions on my HD. Was going to dual boot windows and mac ) Once i installed windows. The boot loader wont show up. So i cant switch between Windows and Mac. I have to use the installation CD Boot loader to be able to switch. can any one please tell me what the problem is!? Thank you!

Re-install the Chameleon boot loader.

I've tryed that 4 times now mate!

Anything else you might have in mind!?

Try using Chameleon Wizard to force install boot0md boot record.

I'll try give me 3 minutes! thanks

Nothing happend by pressing SPACE.

I tryed Chameleon Wizard. No results.

Does chameleon actually show something? Like some lines what looks like Boot: Done or something like that?

Well. I start the computer. The BIOS logo comes up. And after that it's black and it's 3 lines of text ( cant see what it says since it's to fast ) and then the screen is grey and then it boots OS X

Maybe try set the windows partition active. Go into system recovery with windows boot cd and open command prompt.

Diskpart.exe

list disk

select disk 0 (You're Hard Drive)

list partition (You probably see 3 partitions)

select partition (Followed by the number of where System Reserved is, if you don't see names then the partition is around 200mb)

active

exit

OS x

Oh -- that's a completely different thing entirely. You are getting the boot loader just fine, because without it you would not be able to boot OS X (that is the definitely of the boot loader -- software which loads your OS).

Sounds like you're booting into a text mode only Chameleon boot loader.

Do you not have an /Extra/Themes/Default directory?

Maybe try set the windows partition active. Go into system recovery with windows boot cd and open command prompt.

Diskpart.exe

list disk

select disk 0 (You're Hard Drive)

list partition (You probably see 3 partitions)

select partition (Followed by the number of where System Reserved is, if you don't see names then the partition is around 200mb)

active

exit

That didn't work :(

Oh -- that's a completely different thing entirely. You are getting the boot loader just fine, because without it you would not be able to boot OS X (that is the definitely of the boot loader -- software which loads your OS).

Sounds like you're booting into a text mode only Chameleon boot loader.

Do you not have an /Extra/Themes/Default directory?

yes i do!

Isn't that if you want to compile chameleon boot loader?

You can boot into OSX which indicates a boolloader is working.

Download and open Chameleon Wizard and look at the contents of the org.Chameleon.boot.plist located in the Extra folder. It sounds as if you have "Quiet Boot" selected in the boot.plist file, make sure that feature is not selected and you have a 'TimeOut' of at least 3 sec selected. That should allow you time to pause during boot such that you can select another OS to boot.

• Like 1

You can boot into OSX which indicates a boolloader is working.

Download and open Chameleon Wizard and look at the contents of the org.Chameleon.boot.plist located in the Extra folder. It sounds as if you have "Quiet Boot" selected in the boot.plist file, make sure that feature is not selected and you have a 'TimeOut' of at least 3 sec selected. That should allow you time to pause during boot such that you can select another OS to boot.

I do have quiet boot enabled! maybe thats the problem! i'll TEST!

Thank you so much everdone. I did have quit boot on ! And now i got the boot loader! THANK YOU SO MUCH. Have a great day!