windows 7 question

18 posts in this topic

right now i have one 500gb hd for my osx install, I found a guy on craigslist with a 160gb sata hd for $25, thats pretty good deal i think. Since i just want to use windows for games and nothing else.

if i got that hd for windows 7 is it simple to install with usb drive?

Thanks for any info, im new to this kinda thing.

Not sure if I understand you correctly....installing Windows on an SSD is no different from installing Windows on a conventional HDD.

Don't worry about sector alignment, it's not an issue with Windows 7. Just install like you normally would.

If you want to install from a flash drive use this: http://www.microsoft...usbdvd_dwnTool/

Hi, here is how i did :

Boot OSX

Mount your DVD/iso and copy all files into your usb flashdrive (Make sure it's formated to fat32)

Shutdown

Unplug your OSX hdd to avoid any future probleme

Boot with your usb flashdrive, install windows and voila

Shutdown

Plug you osx hdd and set your osx HDD as 1st boot, clover or chamelon will see your Windows partition :)

You can't just copy a bunch of files to a flash drive and expect it to work, it won't be bootable unless you write a boot sector to it.

If you could do that, there would be no reason for Microsoft to make a free tool specifically for installing Windows from a flash drive.

cuz i dont have pc to do that on

For your viewing pleasure, I have compiled three wiseass replies:

What's that in your signature then?

Bully for you. You don't know anyone who has a PC?

You're in California, all your friends have Macs. None of them are dual booting Windows?

You can't just copy a bunch of files to a flash drive and expect it to work, it won't be bootable unless you write a boot sector to it.

If you could do that, there would be no reason for Microsoft to make a free tool specifically for installing Windows from a flash drive.

You are wrong, you can :) i did it everytime i needed to install windows 7 and 8 :)

First Install windows 7 first on a blank harddrive with no partitions.Then create a 2nd partition on that drive.Install OS X on that second partition.Chameleon will automatically prompt you to select one OS during booting.

And simply copying the windows 7 installer files on the USB drive will not make it bootable.For that you need to create bootsector on your USB.Otherwise your BIOS won't detect it.You can create windows 7 usb using a app "rufus".It's very small and it's good for making bootable USB

You are wrong, you can :) i did it everytime i needed to install windows 7 and 8 :)

Gringo is correct here. The tool to make the USB drive bootable is there for a reason. You probably at one point had the drive already set to be bootable and just never changed the boot sector on it. I am a computer technician and have been working on them for 28 years. I know for a fact that you can't just copy files over to make it bootable.

Just use this. None other tool available currently comes even close to the functionality of this marvel!

And is there a Mac version? I believe he is looking for a tool that he can use from OSX. He does not have Windoze installed and is trying to accomplish that.

And to get Windows running under vbox or fusion is really a problem?

Especially that one wants to INSTALL Windows anyway?

If I want to install Mac I need Mac to create MB USB key - not really a big issue with VM solutions available these days.

Some people make too much deal with simple issues

If you have an ISO, why don't you just burn that to DVD and install from DVD. Just disconnect your OSX drive first, then reconnect it after you get Windoze installed. Your OSX bootloader should detect it and give you the option to boot one or the other. If your only option is to boot from USB to install Windoze and you don't have access to a Windoze machine to create the bootable USB, install Windoze in a VM and create it from there. The problem I found trying to find a Mac program that creates a bootable USB is that it will only boot on a REAL Mac since it is EFI boot.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

right now i have one 500gb hd for my osx install, I found a guy on craigslist with a 160gb sata hd for $25, thats pretty good deal i think. Since i just want to use windows for games and nothing else.

if i got that hd for windows 7 is it simple to install with usb drive?

Thanks for any info, im new to this kinda thing.

If by USB you mean to connect the new disk to USB and install Windows, no you cannot do that. Unlike Apple, Microsoft doesn's allow to install Windows in a USB hard disk. Even if you install them with the disk connected internally and then connect it to USB, it won't boot. I have tried that. If you mean using a USB flash instead of a DVD-ROM, then yes, you can! download the Windows7-USB-DVD-tool which reads a Windows 7 ISO and let you either burn it on DVD disk or write it on a USB flash drive. This USB flash drive can then be used to install Windows 7 in a netbook, for instance, that lacks a DVD-RW drive. I'm not sure, but in MacOS you could use Disk Utility to restore an ISO on a USB flash drive, but the best approach is doing it in Windows using the above tool.

I'm not sure, but in MacOS you could use Disk Utility to restore an ISO on a USB flash drive, but the best approach is doing it in Windows using the above tool.

You cannot use Disk Utility to restore an ISO on a USB flash drive because the boot loader is different on a USB flash than on DVD or CD. You need to use the Windows tool to make it bootable.