Need help with active partitions and ML boot errors

11 posts in this topic

Hi!

I had a functioning hackintosh dual booting on an MBR drive with ML and Win 7. I had to update to Windows 7 SP1 because Windows 7 RTM is no longer supported. I changed the active partition to my Windows partition (my first mistake) so SP1 could be installed. It installed fine and now I need to boot back into OS X. If I set the OS X partition as active, my computer immediately reboots. If I set Windows as active, it will boot directly into Windows. It seems like I need to reinstall the chameleon boot loader to the OS X partition. My only saving grave is a flash drive with Darwin installed on it. The flash drive gives me 3 options when it boots. Partition 0,1), which looks to be ML but will not boot it. Partition 1,1 which boots Win 7, and Partition 1,2, which does nothing. I've tried every boot flag I know and every one of them ends in either PCI configuration begin, or it panics. To top it off, my dvd drive is broken right now so no boot cds. Can someone please help me? Thanks in advance.

An update on this issue: I installed Chameleon to a USB drive along with the latest version of FakeSMC.kext and it still does not see my Mac Partition. I tried changing the Mac partition to active again, no change. What is going on! banghead.gif I know my partition is intact because I can see it in Windows with the HFS+ drivers.

Frustrated,

wws12

I'll try clover if the other options fail. I'm going to try installing the osx86 mod CD and the ML boot CD to flash drives tomorrow...

Would you be so kind as to link me to the clover forum? I can't seem to find it.

AN update on this issue: I have a flash drive made with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and am trying to boot ML with that. If I boot with "mach_kernel" and -v, it stops at PCI Configuration Begin. If I boot with "mach_kernel" npci=0x2000/3000 and -v it gets past PCI Config Begin, but repeats error "Got boot device = IOService:AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/USE2@1A/AppleUSBEHCI/USB 2.0 FD@1a110000/IOUSBInterface etc etc. It also says "hfs_mountroot failed: 5" and then "cannot mount root errno = 19". After about 15 repeats of this it panics with "panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f8080a1df) No HPETs available. CPU(s) configured incorrectly. The Kernel Extension in backtrace is com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.

Any other boot flags such as maxmem=2048 or cpus=1 immediately panics with ApplePolicyController in backtrace. I know ##### tools arent supported here, but does this look familiar to anyone?

Thanks,

wws12

OK another update. I received my adapter in the mail today and hooked it up. What I get now with the OSX86 mod cd that PookyMacMan modified is an EBIOS read error 0x0bb. I switched the SATA port that the DVD drive was connected to to be the second port. Now I get a reboot after the dots go across on the screen and it says "Loading Operating System". Right now, my system will not boot anything OS X related. Is there anything else I can try? I read about "repairing the MBR bootloader" with the Windows 7 install disc on the web but have hesitated to do that thus far. Should I do that? Thank you all so much for your help and support.

wws12

I would do that, but right now mysystem won't boot anything OS X related. No boot cds, no bootables USB sticks, nothing. Chameleon is apparently "halfway" installed because right before it loads Windows I get a boot0: done message. Either when I installed SP1 or made the WIndows partition active, it screwed up the Windows MBR bootloader something fierce. As always, thank you for your help.