Another project in progress for me since last week is this one.
At the moment it feels like I may have bitten off too much.
I've done a few Cubes already, the last couple used the original CUbe heatsink to cool them and worked well.
This time I wanted to go for something different and I took it on because I already had the parts for it here.
Bits being re-used from other builds are:
Zotac Z77 wifi board
Old Cube bits.
I'll admit this is a bit of a silly power crazed build. Having done a Cube with an i5 2500K I wanted to up the Geekbench scores and see whether the unused H80 I had could be used in a Cube.
Of course, it couldn't be fully enclosed, so the first thing to happen was this:
No laser cutting here, just good old dremeling - this case eats dremel disks!!!
The discolouring is as this particular old case originally had my old Mini in a Cube inside it that my wife has had for a number of years. It was re-sprayed white at one stage and after being knocked about by me it now needs stripping and painting again.
This great big hole is for the radiator to expel heat out the back of the Cube - the plan being that from the front view the Cube looks pretty much normal.
The same Cube case had a cut down casing and was used on its side, so I cut that case up too:
Here you see it and the removed front plate of the Cube sitting in it as a trial.
After this, I did a dummy fit up with an old ITX board inside the Cube cage:
Shown here is a Noctua 120 PWM fan (for quiet cooling) mounted onto the radiator of the H80 and held by the original hard drive cage.
As a first fit I was happy that this would be a good place for rad mounting and with a bit of luck just the one 120 fan might do the job if I can get a good air flow in from top and bottom of the Cube. If I am not so lucky I can put another 120 fan on the outside at the back of the Cube and make it removeable.
So, as the drive cage is normally front mounted and I want to move it to the back (and Apple did not make these things symetrical) I needed to do some mod.s to the cage and the inner can.
Basically, the Cube switch is usually over the motherboard side but is a squeeze there. So I ended up spinning the Cube and re-cutting the inner cage.
So first job was cutting another hole for the touch switch and making some fixings for it -using my favourite thing of the moment rivet nuts.
Needed to do the same thing to the can:
The hole was cut using a hole saw and turned out better than I had hoped (one slip costs a lot of time!).
I went on to cut the tubes from the H80 - as there was no way it would fit with the long pipes - and drained the fluid.
More to come as I get time.....