What is your thoughts about MySpace?

Apple Freak

Do you mySpace?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Good or Bad?

• Yes, it rocks!!
    • No, it sucks!!

26 posts in this topic

I have my own server farm. I don't need someone else's.

employer's, universities, authorities, etc., like it because people are stupid enough to post pics/videos of themselves doing illegal things. it's the best confession they can get.

personally, i think myspace is a waste of bandwidth. set up your own site, and make it something useful, not how drunk you got over the weekend!

i have one, just so i can comment my friends and be commented. i have a minimalist profile, and one scroll gets you to the bottom. no weird graphics. i have some friends who are layout whores and i rant about them in my one and only blog entry. i dont use it to show me off, i use it to comment and see photos of my out-of-town friends.

• 2 weeks later...
employer's, universities, authorities, etc., like it because people are stupid enough to post pics/videos of themselves doing illegal things. it's the best confession they can get.

personally, i think myspace is a waste of bandwidth. set up your own site, and make it something useful, not how drunk you got over the weekend!

So true lol...my classmates post pictures of themselves smoking pot and f***ing around...

MySpace really is the cesspool of the internet.

Its OKAY. Its good to keep in touch with friends who have moved and what not. But i think its retarded when people put all their info up. Its kidnap/rape waiting to happen. I also hate the dumb 14 year old girls who whore themselves to everyone on the planet through their crappy 120$ digital camera pictures.

Being a student web designer/developer I hate myspace. Why? Because of the way it's coded and aesthetics... seriously. It may sound kind of a geeky reason, but it's true. I can {censored} a website better than that one. I could build something better in Ruby on Rails in a week. It's the biggest disgrace on the internet.

I will admit, I had a myspace account. I had it so I could stalk hott girls. It's a great place to get laid. I am not the best with interacting with women, and myspace makes it a lot easier.

I recently deleted my account for egotistical reasons. I thought I was too cool and sophisticated for myspace. Some may say it's the other way around, but I'll let them say what they want.

Now don't get me wrong... I think social networks are great (such as TagWorld), but MySpace is a crapola. I guess people use MySpace for the same reason they use Internet Explorer; because they are uneducated, uninformed, don't know any better, and everyone else uses it.

• 2 weeks later...

Since MySpace has been bought out by News Corp, I've put the big black line through it.

I consider that "social networking" should be beyond the fingers of a big media giant who already owns a third of the media in the US and half of it in Australia.

If talking to somebody in the street can't be owned, I don't think meeting people in a group in a virtual space should be owned either. It's like Microsoft owning the rights to a conversation you have on MSN Messenger, or AT&T owning the rights to a conversation you have on the phone.

Oh, and I certainly agree it's full of self-obsessed knob jobs and annoying little girls, like the previous posters have mentioned. I'm all for its lack of pricetag and its convenience though.

There is very little that can be considered social about "social networking". IMHO the draw of these sites is not the possibility of "keeping in touch with lost friends" (if they really were your friends you would keep in touch regardless of whether places such as myspace existed, and you'd do it in person - that is sociable). Sitting on your own in your room perusing what are essentially classified listings for people who appeal to you is about as anti-social as one can get.

No, it's about voyeurism. It plays right into the dumbed down reality TV culture that is so pervasive in modern society. People like myspace because it enables them to watch the acquantencies that would otherwise have passed them by - and do so without them neccessarily being aware. Not only that but one can then examine their own circle of "friends".

The ability to post photos/videos is just an extension of this - half the myspace community are probably grown men letching over girls they wish they had the guts to ask out in high school - if you've seen One Hour Photo then you can understand the idea here.

In the end myspace is just another symptom, on the web, of the growing big brother generation who would rather waste their time gawking at the banal exploits of a group of morons, than risk over exercising their intellect on something that just might be worth a damn

I really like it, Im not a myspace addict, but I like it

and I really get mad when the 12 year old girl who gets raped by some 20 year old guy blames myspace on it, its her fault for dressing like a {censored} and talking to some guy who she doesnt know, its the parents fault too for not monitering there kids

i think some of the main problems have to do with people not being smart with what they post on the internet. the whole design also sucks, pretty much any other service blows it away in that area. i don't completely oppose the idea of these types of sites, but i don't think it has anything to do with "keeping in touch with friends". if you want to do that, use the phone, email, and im services. better yet go visit when possible. i think the blogging aspect is what they should be used for. personally i have a live spaces and a wallop account (new, i wanted to try it and liked it). on neither do will you find pics of me in a really short skirt tying to put myself out (i'm a guy, so that also explains it...), pics of me doing something illegal, and information that will tell people where i live and such. you just have to be smart wherever you are on the net...

There are reasons why I don't have an account. None of which have to do with safety though. I just feel it's one thing I don't need to waste my time on, and there's better more productive things on the internet. I guess it would be kinda cool but at the same time, my couple really close friends don't have accounts so I'm really not missing out on much.

Also, I didn't vote in the poll simply because I don't dislike it or like it. It's jsut something that's been a real big hit that I don't really care about. I'm just kinda nuetral to it.

• 2 years later...