Triple-boot or Quad-boot in the future and Compatibility

3 posts in this topic

I posted my problem on the tonymacx86 forum but it seems that they're not that active so I hope you could help me.

I'll just copy-paste the whole post and just add some stuffs at the end.

[sTART OF THE POST]

Hi! I'm from the Philippines and I'm building a budget build. I'd like to see if these parts are compatible and if you could recommend some alternatives, though I only have a limited choice because we don't have NewEgg here. The most complete store I could find would be this one (the link leads to the complete list of the products sold at that store). BTW, my budget is around PHP 35000 (around 850 USD) and it includes all the parts, not just the CPU.

Also, I would be installing Windows 8 first because I don't have much time in my hands, so I'd like to know if it's possible to install Mac OSX (I'll probably won't have time 'til Christmas Break, in which, 10.9 is most likely out so I'll probably install that, if possible) after installing Win8 because most of the dual-booting vids I saw started with OSX. If I had the time and if my school work requires me to, I'll also install Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

CPU: Intel Core i3 3220 3.3GHz (Dual Core) PHP 4680.00

MB: lga1155 Gigabyte H77M D3H PHP 3790.00

Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite PHP 2050.00

HDD: 1tb WDC Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) 64mb sata dual processor hdd PHP 3770.00

SSD: Plextor M5S Series 128gb sata PHP 4700.00

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws X (Dual) 2x4gb ddr3 1600 CL7 (F3 12800CL7D 8GBXM) PHP 3580.00

PSU: Seasonic (S12II) 520watts PSU 80Plus Bronze PHP 2700.00

Monitor: Asus 23" (VS239H) LED IPS PHP 7990.00

dvdrw int: LG 24x Sata (OEM) PHP 780.00

kmcombo: Logitech (MK220) Wireless Keyboard + Mouse PHP 950.00

TOTAL: PHP 34990.00 (Made it. LOL.)

Tentative:

GPU: Palit GTX 650 Ti Boost 2gb/192bit (OC Ed) PHP 7670.00

My primary concern here is the CPU and the GPU because I'll only be using the integrated GPU, and in 3220, OSX doesn't natively support Intel HD 2500. Are there workarounds here? Or do I need to buy a discrete GPU? (I don't like buying underpowered stuff because I'd like to maximize the lifespan of this PC as much as possible so I chose a 650 Ti if ever I would need to buy a GPU.

Another concern of mine is the SSD which will be the boot drive of both OS. I'm not sure of its format so I'd like to know if I can install OSX to it afterwards.

Last is the motherboard, I'd really like a cheaper alternative but I opted for a Gigabyte board because most said that it's easier to deal with. Does it apply to all Gigabyte boards or only those specific boards? Also, if I could buy a cheaper board and modify some files or something so I could save money. (Although this would be my first time building it but I really would like to save more and do more tinkering that the other way around.)

EDIT:

I forgot about the RAM. Are the RAMs compatible? Or do I need to buy a Corsair kit? Because I see Corsairs all the time in the buyer's guide. Sorry if it's a dumb question, just making sure.

[END OF THE POST]

So that's my problem. To sum it all up, I'll be installing ML, Mint and/or Ubuntu in the future. For now, I'll just start with Windows 8, but I want to make sure that all my parts are compatible for ML, Mint and Ubuntu, so that I won't have compatibility problems in the future. I'm also worried about the order of installation because it seems that Mac OSX should be the first one to be installed and I don't want to go to the trouble of backing up my files and reinstalling Windows 8 when I install the other 3 OS. This would be the most probable order. Windows 8 then Ubuntu (because I'll probably need it for my studies), then OSX then Mint (if I still decided to install it). And I plan to use the same SSD for all of the 3 (or 4) OSes. I saw some forum posts and some had trouble with Windows and OSX when they installed Linus on the same drive so I'm worried about it too.

Don't recommend me buying an i3-3225 as I tried to search for it everywhere but I found nothing.

This is my first time building a hackintosh. Actually, this is my first time building a PC as I'm still a 16 years old boy, going to college this coming June. I'll be taking up an Engineering course so I'd do a lot of programming in Ubuntu, that's why I feel that I need to familiarize myself with it, not only at school but also at home.

I hope you could help me. Thank you in advance.

Post again in the tonymacx86 forum :wink2: maybe server is ........closed :thumbsup_anim: Try again......

Post again in the tonymacx86 forum :wink2: maybe server is ........closed :thumbsup_anim: Try again......

What I meant is that the people there don't reply to posts that much. So I hope you could help me. :D