Is it possible to get PC sound cards work with AppleHDA.kext?

shiecldk

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

To be honest, I'm not really familiar with the HDA part of Hackintosh.

I've tried to search if anyone ever got any pcie sound cards work with OSX. But the answer is no.

My question is that can't we patch AppleHDA.kext to get ASUS Xonar, Creative SB, or other PC sound cards work?

I've seen some guys got some none Realtek sound chipsets, such as VIA VT2021, work with AppleHDA.kext.

Doesn't that means we can patch AppleHDA.kext to fit with any sound chipsets?

These are the posts that made VT2021 work with AppleHDA.kext:

http://www.insanelym...a-vt2020vt2021/

http://www.insanelym...work-on-mic-in/

http://www.insanelym...be-alternative/

If I'm not wrong, aren't these the only parts that I will have to patch in order to get Mountain Lion's AppleHDA work with a sound chipset?

1.Platforms.xml.zlib in AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources

2.layoutXX.xml.zlib in AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources

3.Info.plist in AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext

4.Binary patch in AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

5.Some DSDT injections patch

• Like 1

Hi!

Soundblasters will work with the KX Driver by Eugene Gavrilov. But only the output, unfortunately. I have a Live! 5.1 - the sound will be loud and crisp, good for games, and will be recognized as a Creative card, meaning no stuttering with some picky games.

I also use a M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Works just fine, both inputs and outputs (no input control, meaning all signal will enter with maxed gain) with Envy24 drivers. I use it with Logic 9.1.8 without a single glitch.

No MIDI in/out for both of the above cards, unfortunately, despite both being MIDI capable - such a pity, the development for both KX and Envy24 was abandoned (perhaps because of the abundance of cheap USB solutions, pushing legacy PCI hardware further in the obsolescence).

All the best!

• Like 1

I have M-Audio Audiophile 2496. it depends on the installed memory. because i have 32 gig i must add. himemory_mode=2 in boot plist for it to work.also depends what kext you use for sleep to work.

I use no kexts and no special flags: it works pretty out of the box under 10.6.x-10.8.x with Envy24 drivers, at lest for me. But then again my machine have a quarter of the RAM as yours. Sleep works flawlessly, including auto sleep, with no kext at all. I use both cards at the same time, plus native audio (ALC 887) and HDMI audio (Intel HD 4000), switching seamlessly between then (or using them at the same time, sometimes each one routed to a different app, or using the inputs of one and the outputs of the other for the same DAW) with no glitch or performance loss - this used to be a pain it the OS with Windows 7.

All the best!

Been looking in the states for months...

Hi!

Soundblasters will work with the KX Driver by Eugene Gavrilov. But only the output, unfortunately. I have a Live! 5.1 - the sound will be loud and crisp, good for games, and will be recognized as a Creative card, meaning no stuttering with some picky games.

I also use a M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Works just fine, both inputs and outputs (no input control, meaning all signal will enter with maxed gain) with Envy24 drivers. I use it with Logic 9.1.8 without a single glitch.

No MIDI in/out for both of the above cards, unfortunately, despite both being MIDI capable - such a pity, the development for both KX and Envy24 was abandoned (perhaps because of the abundance of cheap USB solutions, pushing legacy PCI hardware further in the obsolescence).

All the best!

Does the

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 work

with the drivers from there site in ML?

Just to clarify, nobody said it yet - the official M-Audio drivers for Mac are for PowerPC architecture only, the reason for that being that the Delta and Audiophile are PCI cards.

Because Intel Macs don't have PCI slots, M-Audio never wrote an Intel architecture driver for Mac.

That's why we have to use the Envy24 drivers from here: http://www.audio-evo...on.com/drivers/ - one of the few available drivers written specifically for Hackintosh use.

I had a 2496 for a while and it worked fine in Snow Leopard in 64-bit kernel and drivers mode, within the limitations mentioned on the site.

I don't know if the Envy24 driver will work on Mountain Lion, but the source code for it is available for download now, so someone should be able to make it work if it doesn't.

Another thing that nobody said; the Kx Project driver will not work with X-Fi and X-Fi based cards.

I've seen some guys got some none Realtek sound chipsets, such as VIA VT2021, work with AppleHDA.kext.

Doesn't that means we can patch AppleHDA.kext to fit with any sound chipsets?

No. AppleHDA.kext can only work with "Intel HD Audio" spec codecs.

• Like 2

I had a 2496 for a while and it worked fine in Snow Leopard in 64-bit kernel and drivers mode, with the limitations mentioned on the site.

I don't know if the Envy24 driver will work on Mountain Lion, but the source code for it is available for download now, so someone should be able to make it work if it doesn't.

Again, the same Envy24 drivers that worked in 10.6.x will work just fine under 10.8.x. I'm at this very moment doing a Logic session using it on my main machine (10.8.3). Of course, i have to use the 64-bit version. Same for KX drivers, no problem at all with Mountain Lion.

Screen Shot 2013-05-06 at 12.37.40 AM.png

All the best!

Does the

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 work

with the drivers from there site in ML?

No. i use this one: Envy24PCIAudioDriver.kext.zip

I'm very appreciative of your replies. :)

According to 3.14r2's link, I found an useful information in here: http://legacy.tonyma...php?f=16&t=5229

It was reported that Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Series should work with VoodooHDA, although they still had some issues.

X-Fi Titanium Series use the chipset CA20K2, same as what Gigabyte X79 G1.Assassin 2 used.

Another card, Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Series use the chipset CA0132, same as the ones used in Gigabyte Z77 G1.Sniper 3, G1.Sniper M3 and ASRock X79 MBs.

Also, I found CA0132's codec data in here: http://forums.gentoo...12-start-0.html

(Press Command+F to find "Intel Codec")

Are the above two chipsets compliant with Intel HD Audio spec codecs, so that they would be possible to use AppleHDA? (They've been all builtin in Intel's MB.)

And does VoodooHDA only work with Intel HD Audio spec codecs too?

one of the reasons i bought the sabertooth x79 motherboard was becouse it has one PCI slot so i could use the M-Audio 2496

And if you need more the AsRock x79 Extreme 6 has 2 PCI slots and is fully supported under Mac OS X.

• Like 1