Yosemite-10.10 previous 10.8 on Dell XPS 410 aka Dimension 9200-Yosemite show 4 drives

kvonlinee

58 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!
I have a old Dell XPS 410, I was run 10.7.5 and with many attempt to run 10.8. I got great news as it works in 10.8.3 for me, I learn form many sources I will give credit to the place I learn.
let begin.
To be continue from
Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

http://www.insanelym.../page__st__1320

my hardware specific
you need to downgrade bios to 1.3
Cpu core2duo 6300 1.8 ghz
Ram 3 Gb : 2x1GB, 2x512 Mb
Graphic card Nvidia PNY 9800 gtx+
hard drive 1TB.
you need MountainLion app fromt he app store 10.8 or 10.8.3
first you create an usb installer like 8 GB at least and follow this guide credit to Still Win Fan
http://www.insanelym...thout-usbvideo/

the same for mountain lion. when you done the usb installer.

then you install extra folder to that usb installer from myhack from Conti

http://myhack.sojugarden.com/guide/

we need to prepare some thing like this for it to able to boot into 10.8 install srceen is put on PciRoot=4 because this guide credit go to oldnapalm

http://olarila.com/f....php?f=28&t=154

used text edit to edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist for the PciRoot=4

used chameleon wizard to create a SMBios and place it in extra folder.

for the ATA drive to be recognize need kext IOATAFamily.kext from

http://www.osx86.net...?do=file&id=319

run myfix from myhack.

it is ready to install now.

after install success get to desktop then run combo update to 10.8.3 the the rest for you to enjoy you hack

I have it running Maverick, this time I found a easy way to tunning to a workable machine,   this time I have the graphics to nvidia GT 610 which have a audio over HDMI with voodoo HDA 2.8.2

i have attack the extra filer from my machine, when you created usb installer, I recommend MyHack, then use my hack to install this extra folder to USB installer, this way will help your tune the machine easy. follow the installation to the end, it may not be finish but it is ok.  boot up with the usb installer again, don't install, go to utility and then Myhack, then install extra folder from download, done and reboot and enjoy the machine.

----------------------------------------------------------

Yosemite         Yosemite

Hot the idea from mpalomba3 about running Yosemite on this Dell recently. I start the work and finally it run of ok.

due to my hack is not release, this time I use the installer from chris1111 I used the OS X Yosemite Chameleon V2.zip at the link

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301138-new-usb-installer-os-x-yosemite-chameleon-r2456-v2/?p=2064388

with some tweak and it can run Yosemite. we can begin now.

1- you need the Yosemite from the App Store, go head download it, have a hard drive to make the installer and the boot drive also ( I recomment it because I found it is easy to get it running. portion the hard into 2 partition, one boot drive with big capacity, one install name USB size like 10 GB.

2-the time you run the OS X Yosemite Chameleon V2.zip, if you down load already it is in the Download folder, open it and run it, when it hit to standard install then you can change to the USB location. let it run some time it will let you know it done. it is not ready to run yet, in the extra-10.10-ps-410.zip has 2 kexts copy and paste it to the USB/Sytem/Library/Extention/   . it will as for replacement, yes then copy the org.chameleon.Boot.plist to the USB/Extra/Extentions, now it is ready to boot install.

3, when done the installation, it will reboot, if you good at terminal then boot the installer again, using the terminal copy and paste 2 kext about in USB/Extra/Extensions/   to {boot drive}/System/Library/Extentions/  and make a new cache or similar thing or

3a, you can use the mac before, plug the drive through usb adapter copy and paste 2 attack kexts that to 

{bootdrive}/System/Library/Extentions/  and  and copy the OS X Yosemite Chameleon V.2 to a foldler in the USB-Yosemite and then use the kext wizard app to Maintaince/---System/Library/Extension----Reapair permissions-rebuild cache,  copy   it is ready. to go by itself.

4 boot to the new install Yosemite, after all registration, add Users, to the desktop, run the OS X Yosemite Chameleon V2 choose the Post install with chameleon,  IntelGB Ethernet, nullcpu, fakesmc and what other you need, when installation is done copy the org.chameleon.Boot.plis from extra-10.10-ps-410.zip to {boot}/Extra/ and it is ready. to go. 

I add to the org.chameleon.Boot.plis boot flag: -v PciRoot=4 Kext-dev-mode=1 dartwake=0

the value 4 of PciRoot because the machine say that, if you found a different and better value then you go for it.

the one kext the AppleIntelPIIXATA  is require one, the other AppleRTC is modify one at the link of http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298536-applertc-patch-cmos-reset/?hl=%2Bapplertc&do=findComment&comment=2080142

about this machine, Dell XPS 410, 3 GB of Ram, cpu E8600 1.86 Ghz, Asus Fanless GT610/

thank you to Marchrius,chris1111 have the way to run on this old machine, a hobby for me.

****         *****update to show 4 drive, **********  

I look on the AppleLPC.kext to load or not, and when I add the string   <string>pci8086,2812</string>   in the AppleLPC.kext, the kext is load and it show 4 drives from port 0 to port 3, this motherboard has 6 Sata drive, other port or drive 4 and 5 I don't know how it go. put the kext AppleLPC.kext in S/L/E and do rebuilt cache, I include the original AppleLPC.Kext also.

about the shutdown and Restart, I got a hard time, after a while I found that use terminal to shutdown it work, so when your system need the shutdown and the power led still on for a long time enter inter terminal, for shut down: 

sudo shutdown -h now

for restart:

sudo shutdown -r nowand enter your extreme secure password. it from http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_properly_shutting_down_your_mac************about the AHCI port*************after I look close, I don't see the data drive on the system profile, and the system still able to boot the installer and boot to the system, turn out it use ATA drive.

so enjoy your hack.

Extra for XPS 410.zip

post-814455-0-91714800-1400130900_thumb.jpg

post-814455-0-00828300-1400259868_thumb.jpg

post-814455-0-82605900-1415007158_thumb.png

extra-10.10-ps-410.zip

show-4-drives-Yosemite.zip

post-814455-0-83467600-1415081938_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am using u.n.i.b.e.a.s.t where should I put the Ioatafamily.kext on the installer flash drive? Also once I put it on a flash drive wherever it needs to go do I need to repair permissions on the flash drive or can i just boot it up ?

For all those who don't yet know our position about tonymac, and your [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] software, your Forun, Tolls, links, thank you for reading  http://www.insanelym...ort-tonymacx86/   

p.s : pls read the forum rules  !!! 

InsanelyMac doesn't support tonymac's tools.   

Attempted 10.8 with my hack. I also put in the Generic Extra Folder and the IOATAFAMILY.Kext. For some reason when ever I add the IOATAFAMILY.Kext there is a Kernel Panic. When I try MYHACK without the IOATAFAMILY.KEXT it does not boot, it hangs on Bluetooth. When I boot with u.n.i.b.e.a.s.t it boots but there are no drives shown. And when I add the IOATAFAMILY.Kext to u.n.i.b.e.a.s.t it kernel panics. What do I do?

Attempted 10.8 with my hack. I also put in the Generic Extra Folder and the IOATAFAMILY.Kext. For some reason when ever I add the IOATAFAMILY.Kext there is a Kernel Panic. When I try MYHACK without the IOATAFAMILY.KEXT it does not boot, it hangs on Bluetooth. When I boot with u.n.i.b.e.a.s.t it boots but there are no drives shown. And when I add the IOATAFAMILY.Kext to u.n.i.b.e.a.s.t it kernel panics. What do I do?

boot with -f -v -x

And should I boot with or without the IOATAFAMILY.kext? Also what does the -f flag do? just wondering?

And should I use myhack or u.n.i.b.e.a.s.t.?

Sorry but I have one more question..... should I install the generic extra folder from my hack and if yes should I put the IOATAFAMILY.kext in s/l/e or /extra/extensions?

Thanks for helping me by the way! :)

Ok, I tried booting with -x -v -f and without the IOATAFAMILY.Kext and it booted with no drives shown. I tried booting with -x -v -f and with the IOATAFAMILY.Kext and it kernel panicked. Also when I go into my bios for a second it said that my drive is controlled by the rain bios and that another bios (could not read because it disappeared so quickly) is not installed. So could it be that my drive is raid signed? It is the one that came with the pc from dell. Also could the problem be that I upgraded my CPU from a dual core to a quad core? Or could it be that I upgraded my PC from 2 GB's of ram to 6GB's of ram? I only think so because in the Kernel panic is said CPU(s) 4 and I was wondering if that had anything to do with the KP or if it was just listing my cpu specs

you need downgrade the bios version with the link above first.

you need to turn the raid setting in bios OFF.

with my hack generic Extra folder, you would need to add IOATAFamilly.kext, and AppleAHCIport.kext and you need to run myfix in myhack.app to put those kext together.

you need downgrade the bios version with the link above first.

you need to turn the raid setting in bios OFF.

with my hack generic Extra folder, you would need to add IOATAFamilly.kext, and AppleAHCIport.kext and you need to run myfix in myhack.app to put those kext together.

I will try that as soon as I get home. I already down graded the BIOS. Did the my hack. Added the extra folder and added the ioatafamily.kext. I just forgot the appleahciport.kext so I will add that. Thanks

Did the directions step by step. I did everything that it said and I still get a Kernel Panic On IOATAFAMILY.Kext. I am not sure if I used the right appleahciport.kext because I could not find one that had not been modified. I ran myhack, installed generic extra folder, and booted with PciRoot=4. I have my bios set to Raid Autodetect / ATA. When I set it to raid the installer hangs on Bluetooth. I was not sure what to do with chameleon wizard so I skipped that part. What can I do? There are a lot of people on this fourm who have succeeded with this exact same pc so I can't understand why mine wont work :(

I saw that you said to set raid setting to off. I do not see an option to do that, did you mean to set it to the setting that I did (Raid Autodetect/ ATA)?

I think you have the raid on, because that you can have the the problem where it can't get the drive later. what is the graphics card you have? it is seem like the problem with the graphics kext. you add these kext to Extra folder and make sure you have the Nullcpupowermanegemnet.kext and fakeSMC.kext

you may want to run on the terminal

ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI\ " | grep UID

to get correct value of the PciRoot=?  I learn that it is differ value depend on the motherboard and graphic card.

Extra.zip

For the install I am using the card that is included originally with the XPS 410. I can't find the model written on the card and I somehow corrupted my windows partition so I can not check in device manager. I believe its an Nvidia 7000 LE or something like that. After the install I plan to upgrade it with a Geforce GT430 which I am currently using in one of  my other PC's. Also with myhack I can not boot the installer at all. The only way I can boot the installer is with u.n.i.b.e.a.s.t which I now know is not supported here. I will check for my PciRoot= now my other question, what should I do with the smbios do I need to create one? Also shoudl I have the bios set to raid or Autodetect? I did some research and learned that Raid is AHCI. @kvonlinee

Ran. Myhack, installed generic extra folder, added all the Kexts from your extra folder, set bios to raid Autodetect / at a, and booted with the flags -x -v and -f and it hangs here post-1036050-13882560615531_thumb.jpg

post-1036050-13882567538483_thumb.jpgpost-1036050-13882568549929_thumb.jpgpost-1036050-13882568999962_thumb.jpg

Those are my bios settings, where the drive is plugged in, and the type of drive. The drive says serial ata.