AMD APU mountain lion support

312 posts in this topic

Just to know, maybe i'll need this...

Is my busratio=19?? I did the calc like this: 2400 / 133 = 18,04511

EDIT:

i'll try Jerome!

EDIT2:

Jerome,

I dont have this option (Network Boot Controller Rom) on my BIOS, what i have is:

ADVANCED TAB>

Legacy USB Support = Enabled

UEFI Boot Support = Enabled

AHCI Mode Control = Manual

>> Set AHCI Mode = Enabled

USB S3 Wake-up Disabled

/**********************/

BOOT TAB > 

Touch Pad Mouse = Enabled

Internal LAN = Enabled

PXE OPRON = Enabled

Thanks for the help!

Ok ... try to delete some of your EFI files in clover root folder

In the "" drivers64UEFI "" folder you need 3 files

FSInject-64.efi

OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi

VboxHfs-64.efi

Try this ...

<key>GraphicsInjector</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>PatchVBios</key>
        <string>No</string>

Now i'm using a pendrive (2gb), just to try boot cloover... but everything i got is a blackscreen with a underline on the top left.

Methods used to creat the USB with clover:

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2571

and

http://hackintoshmumbai.blogspot.com.br/2013/04/install-clover-on-usb-flash-drive-from.html

obs: no mac here, just windows...

With this two methods from the links i posted, i can't boot clover... I don't know if it is something i'm doing wrong or if my hardware doesn't support this...

If someone knows what to do, please, let me know!

With this two methods from the links i posted, i can't boot clover... I don't know if it is something i'm doing wrong or if my hardware doesn't support this...

If someone knows what to do, please, let me know!

Hello there

I suspect Clover doesn't support the integrated GPU featured within some of these APU's. I have an A-10 5800k with an IGP HD 7660D ( also have an aptio board ) and I too got the dreaded black screen. I got clover to boot by switching to another GPU, so I'm sure the issue is with the integrated GPU or specific config.plist options that I'm not aware of. If you're up for it, Chameleon is another option if you're just trying to get things running.

Hello there

I suspect Clover doesn't support the integrated GPU featured within some of these APU's. I have an A-10 5800k with an IGP HD 7660D ( also have an aptio board ) and I too got the dreaded black screen. I got clover to boot by switching to another GPU, so I'm sure the issue is with the integrated GPU or specific config.plist options that I'm not aware of. If you're up for it, Chameleon is another option if you're just trying to get things running.

Overclocked Tardis,

In pg 9, the user 'pmmc' posted a tutorial, saying que got ML working on his APU, and he used clover to boot... Thats is why i'm trying to boot with clover... and i believe Anv's Kernel works only with clover bootloader... 

EDIT:

This is the method i'm using to create the USB with clover:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283190-bdutilityexe-make-cloverchameleon-bootflash-with-macosx-distr/

• Like 1

Overclocked Tardis,

In pg 9, the user 'pmmc' posted a tutorial, saying que got ML working on his APU, and he used clover to boot... Thats is why i'm trying to boot with clover... and i believe Anv's Kernel works only with clover bootloader... 

EDIT:

This is the method i'm using to create the USB with clover:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283190-bdutilityexe-make-cloverchameleon-bootflash-with-macosx-distr/

Yup, the pmmc guide is what encouraged me to try Lion/Mountain Lion on this new rig. However, check out his system specs, his GPU configuration is very different than yours:

2.6 GHz AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD 7520G + 7670M Dual Graphics.

Clover supports the 7670M and thus he was presented with the pretty clover boot screen.

I've successfully gotten 10.8.3 to boot and install with just chameleon on my APU (while using the integrated GPU) using Bronya's kernels.

• Like 1

I've successfully gotten 10.8.3 to boot and install with just chameleon on my APU (while using the integrated GPU) using Bronya's kernels.

Wich flags did you use??

EDIT:

Man, i boot with the USB (pressing the number 3), the screen i got is something like this:

11042012029.jpg

What is this?? Clover 32 bits?

If I press the number 2, i go to Chameleon! Will try the Kernel you mentioned!!!

OBS: This pic isn't from my pc!

• 4 weeks later...

I think this would be a whole lot nicer if there was someway to get the graphics to work.

personally, i think its kinda a waste to go through this whole process and then have these issues:

1. Many integrated laptop wifi cards (especially HP and other budget friendly computers) are not supported, so a separate adapter is needed.

2. On mine, only 1 of 3 USB ports work

3. The sound (when i can get it to work) is very squeaky and choppy

4. No compatible graphics (QE/CI). this pretty much means that anything that require the graphics (sites like youtube and others) dont work or are extremely choppy

5. The hackintosh os constantly freezes.

6. Lack of good, compatible battery monitor for when you may not be plugged in.

I personally would love to own a mac, but being in college, i simply can not afford to buy any of the macs. I admit, apple has done a nice job protecting their software, and because of that, by attempting to make a hackintosh on AMD, it pretty much renders the os useless as it makes it difficult to use many of the apps, and in a world of java, flash, d3d, opengl etc, many of what we take for granted on the pc just plain dont work. 

don't get me wrong, i think the AMD hackintosh (or just hackintosh project in general) is a great idea to try bringing osx to those who cant afford almost 1 grand for a computer, or for those who want to try one out more than what you can do in a store. I'm not too savy in the workings of the mac os like i want to be, but i think this project just needs a good break by a great programmer. Someone who can somehow get mac osx to accept the functionality and resources of an AMD processor.

i also think microsoft needs to take a play from apple and create a way for mac to run on pc,since apple has it so windows runs on mac. If Apple can run microsoft, then why isnt apple letting microsoft run apple (other than the almighty greenback)...

Laptops are always difficult and will always be, since you have to work with what you've got, as opposite to custom desktops, where you can chose parts based on compatibility. APU notebooks, particularly, are hard because 1) AMD CPU; 2) unsupported integrated graphics and 3) locked BIOS which prevents you to turn the integrated card off and use the discrete one, which  could lead to better results. So it's worthy only for fun, for educational purposes and to advanced hackers for the challenge of getting to work, never for a Mac replacement. 

If you cannot afford even a refurbished MacBook white, i recommend you to sell your current AMD laptop and get one with Intel inside and a supported ATI mobility GPU if possible.

All the best!

• Like 2

@theconnactic I have pondered selling my laptop, but i paid almost $600 for this laptop with the AMD GPU and where i live, laptops dont really sell used. I do have a crappier HP G62-225nr (intel processor) but that one has graphics ( intel gma 4500m) and wifi (rtl8191se) issues. i had that one hackintoshed for awhile but i couldnt get the battery monitor to work,  nor could i get graphics to work and wifi was intermittent using a usb dongle. I've been looking around town to see if anyone is selling a used mac since i am getting a decent refund from school, but not enough to afford a macbook air (i kinda want a mac that can do ml). Even if i do get a mac, i might use having a mac to try and help out this project though....

Good luck! Don't overlook the possibilities of good old MacBook whites/blacks (Core2Duo with 32-bit EFI) with good old Snow Leopard: they usually sell cheap and Snow Leopard is still acceptable unless you need last-gen software. In fact, there's some old MacBooks that shipped with the nVidia ION (9400m) so they can even run Mountain Lion/Mavericks with workarounds. And hey!, it's a real Mac!

All the best!

• 2 months later...

Got a working Atheros 9285 Wifi module ... one step further on the HP pavilion G6 hackintosh laptop ( amd )

• Like 1

Is it possible the graphics included with the APUs get support in the future?

Also, Is it possible to somehow "mod" the amd open source drivers for Linux to run on OSX...

You can't port Linux graphics drivers to OS X

The biggest reason is quite simple: Linux drivers are made for X11 while OS X drivers are made for Quartz. They are completely incompatible to the point where if you want to use software that has X11 code in it you must download and install XQuartz.

Plus, the Linux kernel is significantly different mach. What procedures the drivers call for Linux are definitely not the same as OS X.

The biggest reason is quite simple: Linux drivers are made for X11 while OS X drivers are made for Quartz. They are completely incompatible to the point where if you want to use software that has X11 code in it you must download and install XQuartz.

Plus, the Linux kernel is significantly different mach. What procedures the drivers call for Linux are definitely not the same as OS X.

You can port the IOFramebuffer but the IOAccelerator is hard...

Ahhhhh I see now..... so unless Apple chooses to support APUs, the graphics will never work.

Another idea: For those getting a black screen when trying to boot clover (Like me!), i think i may have found the cause. I was reading through the Clover documentation, i found this:

ATI/AMD

This is a special conversation. I have GA AMD Radeon HD6670 and VFX HD5570 so I tested these technologies in the cases of 5xxx and 6xxx.

You may set nothing (GI = No) and enter desktop with a common ATIRadeonFramebuffer. It works including OpenGL, you may even test with OpenGL Extension Viewer but this is not very good way to go. If you call DVDPlayer it will crash.

If you set GI = Yes you will enter black screen or see empty desktop because all info appears to be on second invisible desktop.

You need ATIConnector patch. Original topic by bcc9.

As example for ATI HD6670 is my config

<key>Graphics</key>

<dict>

<key>GraphicsInjector</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>FBName</key>

<string>Ipomoea</string>

<key>LoadVBios</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>VideoPorts</key>

<string>3</string>

</dict>

And then I do connectors patch for the "Ipomoea" framebuffer.

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>

<dict>

<key>KernelCpu</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>ATIConnectorsController</key>

<string>6000</string>

<key>ATIConnectorsData</key>

<string>000400000403000000010000120401050008000004020000000100001102040310000000100000000001000000000002</string>

<key>ATIConnectorsPatch</key>

<string>040000000403000000010000100001061000000010000000000100000000000100080000040200000001000012040403</string>

For Mobile Radeon there in necessity to do

<key>LoadVBios</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Yes, this is a key difference to launch mobility.

EDID

In some case you need to inject EDID string. Or may be you just know the better EDID then provided by manufacture.

<key>InjectEDID</key>

<string>Yes</string>

In this case EDID string obtained by BIOS will be accesible by OSX that is not always true.

If your monitor is non-DDC at all then you may inject some artificial EDID

<key>CustomEDID</key>

<data>AP///////wAyDADfAAAAAAASAQOAIRV4CunVmVlTjigmUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB3iGgcFCEHzAgIFYAS88QAAAY3iGgcFCEHzAgIFYAS88QAAAAAAAA/gBXNjU3RwAxNTRXUDEKAAAA/gAjMz1IZYSq/wIBCiAgAJo=</data>

AAPL,DualLink

For some older cards you should set DualLink=0 or 1. For example ATI HD1600. There must be =0 else you will see four screens.

<key>DualLink</key>

<string>1</string>

I'm not sure if this is the cause, as I am inexperienced, but if anyone with more experience could care to comment...

Ahhhhh I see now..... so unless Apple chooses to support APUs, the graphics will never work.

Another idea: For those getting a black screen when trying to boot clover (Like me!), i think i may have found the cause. I was reading through the Clover documentation, i found this:

I'm not sure if this is the cause, as I am inexperienced, but if anyone with more experience could care to comment...

Yes it is possible.

You need to patch the framebuffer.

I had to do the same for my Asus EAH6450 (for the 3 ports to work.

• Like 1

Can't I just set GI=No and then boot or is GI necessary fit boot ?

If so, how can I do this? I created the clover USB with the bootdiskutility in windows but it doesn't give an option.

Turn of GraphicsInjector, boot and dump video card rom.

Use radeon_bios_decode and dump the framebuffer connectors.

Next read clover instructions under dev corner - bootloaders - clover and follow method for patching ati framebuffer.

Wait, so how do you turn off GraphicsInjector?

Boot clover.

Go into options.

Graphics submenu I believe.

Uncheck inject

Boot

2nd option is to edit config.plist