kalyway install problem

rsmack

10 posts in this topic

hi…. i thought for a while i would need a powerpc or leopard mac to resolve quicken update problems when my powerbook g4 died. i found insanelymac just before i solved the quicken problem. so now i am just stubborn about getting snow leopard to run on my old acer 5100, amd cpu. i downloaded Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd_iso and burned it on a dvd using mac Disk Utility on my macbook pro.

it boots from the acer dvd drive. stops at a screen showing the dvd and offering "press any key", "enter -v, or enter ?". i chose -v. it hangs and repeats "still waiting for root device."

prior messages are

from path: "UUID"

waiting on <dict ID= "0"><key>IOProviderClass</key>string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid</string></dict>

waiting for boot volume with UUID 8046003D3-83E9-36B8-AB8E-11501D1805D6

……………………………..

i have read everything i can find about waiting for boot device. would appreciate any help

thanks, roger

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Moved to the correct forum

thanks for the suggestion. hd is ide. i'd like to maintain the hd for xp and install leo on a usb hd or usb memory stick, if possible, so i cn have a dual boot machine. also, my bios is so old it has no reference to the options recommended. i might just disconnect the hd and try again.

The important point is that your Acer 5100 specs is:

1. The Soutbridge chipset: ATI SB600.......you need a SB600 driver kext for HDD / DVDRW access

2. Realtek ALC883 / ALC888 audio chipset/codec

3. Marvell 88E8056 chipset for Ethernet/LAN

4. ATI Radeon™ X1200 graphics onboard

5. AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor or AMD Athlon™ 64 processor or AMD Sempron processor - use a patched kernel

If you are happy to stick with Snow Leopard so that you can run the kernel in 32bit mode, while still able to run 64 bit apps, then you have a better chance of finding the correct kext......

I recommend that you initially install OS X Leopard using a AMD compatible Install DVD distro such as:

LawlessPPC-10.5.4-Phenom-AMD

iATKOS 4a AMD

Leo4Allv4.1 AMD

iPC 10.5.6

iDeneb V1.4 10.5.6 etc.

to set up two OS X volumes on your USB HDD and then install Leopard on one of the volumes to figure out exactly what you need to do boot and run OS X Leopard on your system......and then use Leopard to help you install OS X Snow Leopard on your second HDD volume, and so on.........see this AMD Retail Snow Leopard install guide..........you will also need patched kernels for installing OS X Lion and Mountain Lion on AMD.....

• Like 2

well.......... the acer site info doesn't quite match what cpuid shows. i got ideneb. does the same as kalyway at the very start. shows a screen with the f8 option for a millisecond and the goes on to the press any key to begin. i haven't yet been able to choose any options for either distro. both hang waiting for root device.

What boot flags have you used with the Kalyway installer?

Press F8 and type -v modbinkernel or -v sleepkernel

I forgot to mention also that if you have a IDE HDD and IDE DVDRW, then the DVDRW should be set as Master and the HDD asSlave via 80-wire IDE cable.

Edited by verdant