• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I've never heard of anything like this happening before, but my computer starting freezing on shutdown. What's weird is that it completely leaves the os before it happens. The white apple screen disappears and the displays turn off. Normally this is about a split second before it would shut off completely, but instead it just sits there, still running. When I turn it back on, everything is fine and it doesn't give me any "you shut down your computer because of a problem" messages or anything like that. It only happens occasionally. I don't think it happens with windows or Ubuntu but I don't use them enough.

What gives? This is really strange.

Edit: I'm using gigabytes uefi beta and clover bootloader BTW.

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Interests:OSx86, Cooking, Gadgets.
10.8.3?

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

10.8.3?

Sorry, yes I'm on 10.8.3.

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
I have the same problem, screen does not wake up from sleep also. In 10.8.3 Apple changed something in the SMC kexts/?, did not have those problems before.
This is the only information i have found so far, no fix for it as far as i know, sorry.

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Just to confirm, this is after it has completely left the operating system. I'm actually surprised I'm not the only one having this problem.

Are you also using uefi and clover?

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
After the OS has shut down, the system will just idle, yes.
UEFI boot and Clover, will test Chameleon/Legacy one of the days.

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I'd be willing to bet chameleon won't have this issue. Integrating the os with the uefi like clover does adds another host of problems I feel like. I also haven't updated clover since upgrading to 10.8.3 because it's probably going to be a PITA with my fusion drive. So maybe that would help too.

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
I'll bet Chameleon will have this issue, i would like a Big Mac, what do you say?
My Clover is up to date, so updating it will not make a change.

As i said before, in my opinion, it is because of the changes Apple made.

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

I'll bet Chameleon will have this issue, i would like a Big Mac, what do you say?
My Clover is up to date, so updating it will not make a change.

As i said before, in my opinion, it is because of the changes Apple made.

OK, good to know that you're still having they issue with the latest clover. I agree that it's definitely the changes apple made. I was just thinking that since clover is a true uefi bootloader that some instruction the os is giving is accidentally finding it's way to uefi. Where as chameleon is booted as a legacy os and isn't as integrated with the uefi.
So I guess I should have said "I speculate" as I'm not actually willing to make a bet. I'm not going to pretend I actually understand how most of this works.

I actually still have chameleon installed but it doesn't point to the right hard drive for some reason... I just have to figure that out and then I'll test it and let you know my results.

How often is it happening for you? For new it's probably like every 3-4 shut downs.

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
I really wanted that Big Mac you know :P

It happens on every shutdown for me, i have to wait till OS X shuts down, and keep the power button pressed after that.
Tap F12 when booting, you should be able to select your other HDD, which hopefully has Chameleon installed, be sure to enable legacy boot in bios. Don't know anything about your setup, so just guessing.

It's 3am here, so i really have to go to bed, will boot chameleon tomorrow, but as far as i can remember, with 10.8.3, it will not differ from clover. Ah well, we'll see tomorrow.
Hope i helped out a bit.

Good night.

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
I might be mistaken, but isn't it fixable via DSDT patch? I've seen Shutdown patch included with DSDT editor.

dmazar

dmazar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 256 posts

I might be mistaken, but isn't it fixable via DSDT patch? I've seen Shutdown patch included with DSDT editor.

Yes, that patch should be tried. http://www.projectos...p?showtopic=904

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I don't have a dsdt. I deleted it when I updated to uefi. Should I just re extract it and make that patch?

iFIRE

iFIRE

InsanelyMacaholic

• Moderators
  • 3,547 posts
yes

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Will do. I'll try that when I get home, thanks.

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Forgive me, I haven't done too much DSDT editing, but I'm not sure how to make the change. It did some research (I already did prior to posting, but for some reason didn't find anything). There was a few other people with the same issue and it appears this is the same fix. The fix mentioned is this:

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
{
	 If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05)) {}
	 Else
	 {
		 ... original codes...
	 }
}

Here is that section in my unmodified DSDT:

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
{
	 Store (Zero, P80D)
	 P8XH (Zero, Arg0)
	 PTS (Arg0)
	 If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))
	 {
		 If (LAnd (DTSE, LGreater (TCNT, One)))
		 {
			 TRAP (TRTD, 0x1E)
		 }
	 }

Just to clarify, all I need to do is replace 0x03 with 0x05 right? Leave everything else alone?

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

... Just to clarify, all I need to do is replace 0x03 with 0x05 right? Leave everything else alone?

Hi, you need to place all of your code in _PTS into the place of "... original code ...", from "Store (Zero, P80D)" to the last "}" in your code block above.

I got the same problem apparently. It happens in approximately 1 out of 10 times and I need to shut down manually after ML's phony shutdown. I also noticed that the Num LED will flash if I press any keyboard button in this state.

This shutdown patch did not solve the issue for me. As far as I understand it is aimed for PCs that cannot shutdown properly at all.

EDIT:
I'm actually glad you opened this thread. Hopefully this problem will be solved somewhen.

Edited by k3nny, 24 April 2013 - 09:54 AM.

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Edit: sorry, misread your post

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Just to narrow this down a bit, what kexts are you using? I'm using pxhcd, a patched 10.8.2 applehda + hdaenabler, lnx2mac's Ethernet kext, and ncpm. Also kozlek's fakesmc

JahStories

JahStories

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Interests:Everything that got a screen on it, skateboarding, reggae music, PowerPcs, Amigas and retrogamin...
i have this problem too! isn't too bad but is always a bug...
don't you think i't would be great a pinned post with all the known issues of every os release and update, it could save us a lot of time!!
as far as i understood there are two "big" problems in 10.8.3 for almost everyone:
No backlit after sleep
No power off on shutdown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy