Locked Mouse with USB and -x (safe mode)

squeeky

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know exactly what safe mode disables? Without -x (safe mode) the machines hangs at the infamous vram line (both with the integrated intel extreme card and the AGP radeon 9600) if I start with -x then I start see the logon screen.

It sees my keyboard (asks me to identify it, just like it does on my mac for an unknown keyboard) but my mouse keeps locked desperately.

I tried both with a logitech and a cheap (genius) mouse, both USB. I also tried with a PS2 adapter. Nothing did it. I suspect that of the many .kext disabled by safe mode one is for USB support?

My Mobo is an intel 865G (It's a Shuttle: 3.0GHZ PIV with HyperThreading, Shuttle model SB61v2 AFAIK). The only external hardware is a radeon 9600 XT 256mb. The bios shows it's at 16 mb but that doesn't seem to affect it. I can see the PC is not locked because the input cursor in the logon screen still blinks.

Has anyone got it working with -x and an USBmouse? Any ideas?

I tried the platform=ACPI|X86PC. It just adds a lot of output to the log, but the result is the same.. no mouse.

Damn, I am soooo close.

Typing this on my trusty iBook which seems to run tiger just as fine as it always did :-)

Hm.. I can't change the title of the post.. some bug in safari. But who cares.

I went one step closer. I booted as a single user (-s at boot)

and disabled all radeon extensions:

- cd /System/Library/

- then created a folder: mkdir Extensions.removed

- cd Extensions

- mv ATIRadeon* ../Extensions.removed

Once this was done I could boot directly without any additional command. Funny thing is now it doesn't show the login screen anymore! It boots right onto the desktop. I can see it all moving (dock coming up at start). If I plug my keyboard in and out I see the message showing and going away (the one that asks you to click continue to identify keyboard).

BUT BUT.... I still can't get any of my mice working. I suspect there's somethhing wrong wiht my USB controller. Any idea of what this could be? I tried changing to USB 1.0 in Bio and such things but no way.

How frustrating. I would so much love to be able to test my own OSX universal binaries on my PC..

Victory!

By luck I had a PS2 adapter for my mouse and an addtional PS2 Keyboard!

Just add to the boot command line: platform=X86PC

(your ps2 devices must be connected before you boot).

I am now running 10.4 Tiger on my PC natively , YAY :-)

It is very unstable though in my situation. The Dock keeps crashing a lot. But I can use safari and browser the web and launch iPhoto.

Interestingly enough, even though it must be using Vesa 2.0 mode, exposé is very fast. I am using the Radeon 9600 (for which I removed the drivers).

Still "blogging" my osx86 experiences here.

Just to to say that I tried remove my Radeon again and using my integrated chip (intel 865g, also know as intel extreme). It locks on boot as it did with the radeon. So I guess I'll keep myradeon without the .kext. It works fine and is a much better device anyway.

Exposé is amazingly fast! I can open twenty windows with Textedit and they all move very smoothly. Much smoother than the radeon 9200 in my iBook which seems to slow down as soon as there are many windows. I guess that even with a vesa driver this makes all the difference between 256mb and 32mb gfx cards.

For some reason I cannot enter the "International" preferences. When I do this everything seems to crash.. including the dock that keeps relaunching. Don't know why this is. All other preferences seem to work. I disabled Sofware update and enabled dock magnification. Everything is well.

Safari seems to crash very often due to something related with OpenGL. Obviously without the driver this is understandable. I have been able to run java applets and they are very fast. Quite nice.

OS on x86 really rocks! Oh, yeah it's not very stable on my unsupported machine but it feels good to know my next laptop will be a fast one.

One thing that impressed me was Spotlight. On my iBook the Hd (60gb) is very slow: 4200 rpm and little cache, so I was a bit dissapointed with SpotLight's performance (couldn't live without it however). On the PC HD I used (a 20 GB hitachi, not even a SATA) it really is immediate! Just like the WWDC demo showed.

If you want the USB mouse to work you need to find a setting in your BIOS which will say something like "Support USB keyboard/mouse via..." and change it from 'BIOS' to 'OS'. Or if there's a DOS support option for USB, try disabling that.

Had me puzzled for a few hours too :)

If we had a working graphics driver this thing would be ace.

Thanks a lot cloudane!!

I just found an option in my bios that said *Enable USB Keyboard*. I disabled this and now both my mouse and keyboard work on plain USB in OSX.

So, to get the mouse working, disable keyboard support :-)

I guess enabling this option enabled some kind of legacy keyboard emulation for dos programs or such things.

The only downside is that now I can't use my keyboard in the boot manager (lilo) .. so I can't tell it to boot on OSX :-( I can change the boot priority in the bios though. Or maybe I'll just stick back to my ps2 adapter. :P