Help Please HELP - classic App Store login issue

jkb242

6 posts in this topic

I followed the guide here under tutorials concerning how to fix "unknown error occurred" when logging into the mac app store. By far this is the most detailed and complete guide about this error I have seen. In my case I had to follow the "as a last ditch or extreme case" instructions that involve copying the network interfaces.plist to the desktop, using a text editor to change the fields pertaining to device E0 from false to true. Then saving the file on the desktop then using the root password in terminal set permissions to copy this edited file back to Library/preferences/ system configuration/ that replaces the existing plist file which is wrong, with the edited one then rebooting from terminal mode.

The problem is that the plist file simply reverts back to the former settings where built-in key is set to false. I can't seem to make this work.

Am I suppose to delete the network devices in system preferences then reboot after the edits or what. My Plist file is by default, being set back to false for the built-in value. How can I get beyond this--what am I leaving out. Followed the guide percisely, but the methodology described in the guide should indeed work, right.

Please Help

Thanks

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If the guide says to do that then the guide is wrong. It doesn't matter what you do to Networkinterfaces.plist, upon reboot it reverts to reflect your current configuration, editing it accomplishes nothing.

It would greatly improve your chances of getting help you if you would post a link to the guide. As it is now, for someone to help you, they will have to search for the guide first in order to see what you're talking about. Most people will not do that. You should always make it easy to help you by providing as much information as possible.

I have edited your topic title to better reflect its contents.

Experienced users tend to simply ignore topics with non-descript titles such as "Please Help". Writing in all caps is a no-no as well if you wish to attract someone with experience.

Here is the link--the part I had to take was the one described as the last ditch effort.. iCloud/Facetime/AppStore login errors

Thanks for your reply I do desperately need to get this working and appreciate assistance.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Thanks for your response, where did this come from, the plist file or the boot file? I am stuck using Chimera at the present and unable to have chameleon.boot.plist in my Extra folder. If I do, my system won't boot?? If I use Cameleon Wizard it only allows edits to the com.apple.boot.plist file not the Cameleon file. Maybe I am running some things together here, just a little help would likely get me going in the right direction to fix the log in to the app store.

Thanks

There is no other [whatever].boot.plist file in /Extra?

Chimera is just another version of Chameleon, of which there are several. Chimera is probably the best known.

You must find out which xx.boot.plist your boot loader is using for configuration and then add the EthernetBuiltIn key+string to it.

If you've used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] from TonyMac you should ask for help on their forums, they'll be better equipped to help you. We cannot support their software here on IM, in fact discussing it at all is against the rules.

What make and model wired ethernet hardware do you have and what driver are you using for it?

The two most popular ways to get ethernet registered as "built in" are either by setting EthernetBuiltIn=y in xx.boot.plist, or through DSDT patching.

Some people use something called a "device-properties string", generated using a small tool you run from Terminal called "gfxutil".

The end result of any of these three ways is the same, there is no functional advantage to either one. If you patch it in DSDT you can have your on-board ethernet appear in System Profiler but this is purely cosmetic.

EthernetBuiltIn=y usually just works, but on some motherboards Chameleon (or Chimera) has trouble detecting the correct PCI Root value and will default to a value of 0. This value must be correct in order for EthernetBuiltIn=y (as well as GraphicsEnabler=y) to work. In this case you either can override the auto-detection by adding PCIRootUID=1 to your kernel flags string in xxx.Boot.plist, or nudge it into detecting the correct value by patching your DSDT.

• Like 1

Gringo Vermelho, thanks for the great advice, I will seek out the tools you mentioned. Built-in is definitely false on my Ethernet when running IO registry explorer.

My board is the Gigabyte ep45 ud3P and the built in ethernet is Realtek, not certain about the exact model. This is a very popular board for Hacks I understand it.

I came across a post describing general boot flags for Chimera or Chameleon to and saw one I had not seen previously. A note with the flag also stated this could fix the app store log in issues as well. The flag is the one you mentioned above, PCIRootUID=1. I booted with the USB drive containing Chimera with this flag and was able to log in to the app store. My ultimate goal is to be able to select the boot hard drive after POST then boot to OSX ML or Windows. I do not want to use USB. So, if you can offer assistance to that end, it will not involve ##### or any of the Tonymac utilities, as I want this configuration completely devoid of those tools.

Thanks again so much!!