How to get Intel 7 Series USB 3.0 fully working - Step by Step guide

giacomoleopardo

101 posts in this topic

Read 1st post and thought it is simple. But when looked at my Lenovo W530 QM77 dsdt... oh its much more complicated in case of names and content of methods

Added replaced XHC1 method, but stuck at EHCI1 edits... don't know how and where to find and replace-paste code from 1st post

Hope someone may help with it...

w530-usb-3.0.zip

Read 1st post and thought it is simple. But when looked at my Lenovo W530 QM77 dsdt... oh its much more complicated in case of names and content of methods

Added replaced XHC1 method, but stuck at EHCI1 edits... don't know how and where to find and replace-paste code from 1st post

Hope someone may help with it...

w530-usb-3.0.zip

Hi joshhh, please post a virgin dsdt.aml (extract it with aida64 in windows or from ubuntu live cd, or booting in OSX with DSDT=Null flag in chameleon/chimera).

Guys,

Great work on this, especially to Mieze who is doing so much to improve hack community these days. Please keep up the good work. On my UP5 system this enables USB2.0 backwards compatibility. However i have a front panel hub connected that still behaves in the old way, which is to say, no usb 2.0 devices seem to register (led devices don't even light up). Is this expected behavior? is there anything that can be done to enable USB 2.0 passthrough to the hub ports?

Please let me know if you need me to post any config files, dsdt, etc.

Thanks,

g\

Genzai, the more info you post, the more easy is to understand (or guess) what the problem could be. Furthermore, please post a virgin dsdt and if you have one already, post what patch did you apply. On my boards, I've tested usb3.0 ports via internal header and they work as expected.

Okay, after a good deal more testing in OS X and Windows i discovered the firmware on my hub was corrupted or something. USB 2.0 was not working in windows either and it was showing an error in the device manager. I regressed the firmware a version and then re-flashed to the latest and now everything seems to be working smashingly. USB 2.0 and 3.0 works on all ports and on the hub too. Seems like USB is working better than ever. Every once in a while i find a device that wants to negotiate itself at USB 2.0 even though it supports USB 3.0, but pending more testing of devices this is great! thanks so much for documenting this.

g\

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

giacomoleopardo, on 01 May 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

Genzai, the more info you post, the more easy is to understand (or guess) what the problem could be. Furthermore, please post a virgin dsdt and if you have one already, post what patch did you apply. On my boards, I've tested usb3.0 ports via internal header and they work as expected.

Hello, man. I used your DSDT patch it made USB 3.0 ports reading USB 2.0 devices, but the issues is it broken the sleep and wake, any idea?

My MB is GA-Z77-D3H-MVP similar to yours. I`m booting with Clover UEFI with no USB Injection or clock-id settings in my config.plist. Using this patch you found sleep turns out to be reboot.

My clean DSDT attached below.dsdt_A.zip

Hello, man. I used your DSDT patch it made USB 3.0 ports reading USB 2.0 devices, but the issues is it broken the sleep and wake, any idea?

My MB is GA-Z77-D3H-MVP similar to yours. I`m booting with Clover UEFI with no USB Injection or clock-id settings in my config.plist. Using this patch you found sleep turns out to be reboot.

My clean DSDT attached below.attachicon.gifdsdt_A.zip

It's a Clover issue, not a problem of the patch. My system used to wakeup with Clover r1022 but after I updated to r1914 trying to wake up from sleep results in a reboot too. The log files indicates that the KP is related to FakeSMC.kext but I haven't found time to track down the cause of the problem. A quick test with a bootloader of the Chameleon family didn't show any problem. Sleep and wakeup seem to work as expected with this configuration.

Mieze

• 1 month later...

I have a Gigabyte Z77-UD3H rev 1.1 with no DSDT and GenericUSBXHCI.  Sleep works, wake works, USB 3.0 seem to work without any problems and now work with 2.0 devices as well.

Earlier I was using 10.7.5 and the stock Apple drivers for the Intel USB 3.0 and could only use USB 3.0 devices in the USB 3.0 ports.

Thanks!

Edit:  hmmm..experiencing freezes and lockups.  troubleshooting.

• 3 months later...

I tried to do this for my HP laptop but got 201 errors in first step. I have no previous DSDT and I made the virgin DSDT with DSDT editor. Should this work with qm77 chipset?

I don't know much about laptops, sorry. Maybe you'll find better support on laptop section. Furthermore, I know Rehabman has somewhere in his repo a lot of dsdt patches for laptop pcs. Check it out, it could be very helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I used GenericUSBXHCI.kext and I can't get the computer to sleep (all the other conditions are there), cuz if there is any USB (storage devices especially) it prevent the computer from sleep and when it just wakes it turns off.

Is there any relation w/ the kext? Should I use the DSDT patch instead? I have Intel 7 Series Controller and 2 USB3.0 and 1 USB2.0 (connected to the same controller)

Hi, 

I used GenericUSBXHCI.kext and I can't get the computer to sleep (all the other conditions are there), cuz if there is any USB (storage devices especially) it prevent the computer from sleep and when it just wakes it turns off.

Is there any relation w/ the kext? Should I use the DSDT patch instead? I have Intel 7 Series Controller and 2 USB3.0 and 1 USB2.0 (connected to the same controller)

Yes, try the patch as it makes GenericUSBXHCI.kext obsolete.

Mieze

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • On Gigabyte I had some issues. Basically every device is properly recognized, but with both methods they're disconnected after wake from sleep. This happens in every usb port: 2.0 and 3.0 as well. Furthermore GenericUSBXHCI.kext method seems to compromise my apple usb keyboard hub until I unplug the device connected and remounted after sleep (hdd or flash drive). That doesn't happen when applying DSDT patch. So in this case DSDT patch has my +1. I can't really say why it happens, maybe something in Gigabyte Uefi Bios has to be set in another way, or maybe some other dsdt string to be changed...really don't know.

Hey guys, perhaps someone would help me keep my sanity.

First, has anyone managed to fix this issue?

If not, which patch is giacomoleopardo talking about, all those coded fixes? If so, has anyone complied that into a patch that can be used in MaciASL?

My problem is exactly that, sleep, wake, no USB.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP, and right now running with XHCI Mode: Enabled, XHCI Hand-off: Enabled, EHCI Hand-off: Enabled.

Thanks in advance.

This patch is only for 7 series main boards. There seems to be something similar for 8 series main boards but it is not that important and I haven't found the time to dig deeper into Apple's Haswell DSDTs.

Mieze

• Like 1

This patch is only for 7 series main boards. There seems to be something similar for 8 series main boards but it is not that important and I haven't found the time to dig deeper into Apple's Haswell DSDTs.

Mieze

Thanks Mieze.

I guess I'll just have to keep looking for it. =)