Acer 7750G - Ati Radeon HD 6650M Color Depth

Basaaa

18 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

My Hackbook is almost perfect now. One thing that actually will make me go back to Windows however, is the wrong color depth. As I do alot of graphical work, I just can't accept those weird gradient colors. I use the DSDT and Ipomoea personality from http://www.insanelym...s-enabler-dsdt/ . I also tried injecting the EDID (that I extracted in a windows boot) via the Clover bootloader, and I tried the Aty_init kext. However I cannot get my LVDS display to display the corect colors. Colors look perfectly fine on HDMI and VGA though. Also I have full QE/CI with this setup. Also I downloaded the trial of SwitchResX, and forced it to go into billion of colors, however there is no change. When I change it to thousands of colors, it does change, but it's even worse.

This is kind of what I get, maybe a little less extreme:

NXILUcO.png

The exact model of my laptop is Acer Aspire 7750G-2634G64Mnkk with the 6650M 1GB in it.

I would really appreciate any help from you guys, as I have now looked for days and days, and it's extremely frustrating that everything works except those colors. Working on Photoshop with those colors is just not gonna work.

Thank you in advance!

Bas

EDIT: Added the DSDT and Ati6000Controller.kext

7750G DSDT+Kext.zip

Yes, I do. I attached it together with the Ati6000Controller.kext in the first post.

:( Your dsdt contains your rom info so it takes lots of time for my hack to analyze your dsdt.

What's the device id of your card?

In 'About this Mac' under Graphics is sais Device ID 0x6741.

Could you maybe explain me what exactly you are trying? I feel so dumb when you try to fix it and I have no idea what ur doing :). Maybe I could learn from it :)

Entire graphics info:

AMD Radeon HD 6650M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6650M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCIe Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6741

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176,

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.3180

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1600 x 900

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

In 'About this Mac' under Graphics is sais Device ID 0x6741.

Could you maybe explain me what exactly you are trying? I feel so dumb when you try to fix it and I have no idea what ur doing :). Maybe I could learn from it :)

Entire graphics info:

AMD Radeon HD 6650M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6650M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCIe Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6741

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176,

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.3180

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1600 x 900

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Add the following code inside your DSDT - Device(GFX) 's Method(_DSM)

Actually, Device(GFX) is not accurate. It should be your graphic card. Maybe PEG or something else etc.

"@0,display-link-component-bits",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x06, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

How exactly would I put that in the DSDT?

You need to find your graphic card with the help of IOREG.

Or upload your original dsdt. WITHOUT ANY MODIFICATIONS

I don't have an 'original' dsdt, as I got this from that thread. Attached is my IOreg, could you see where to put it? That file is HUGE.

Thank you for your help :)

you don't need to save as txt. Just re-run ioreg and hit File->save. Thats just enough. Do not add and suffix.

Okay, I found the place, added, renamed the name of the card to 6650m2 so I could see if it was loading, it's loaded but I still have the same colors.

Did you try editing the framebuffer info by yourself? It could be possible that you haven't got the exact same card as Trucker MK and require some adjustments.

Here are some topics about it:

- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/273937-guide-getting-xfx-hd6850-connectors-to-work/

- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/252061-mobility-radeon-hd-4650full-resolution-with-qe-ci-working-on-internal-lvds-screen/

- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/249642-editing-custom-personalities-for-ati-radeon-hd45xxx/

Basically you need to run the two different vbios decoders on your vbios dump and adjust the framebuffer according to the decoder's output.

I cannot promise that it works well in the end, though.

Well, I already contacted Trucker MK, who created the personality for his card, and he has the exact same problem, and has not succeeded yet in fixing it. So I don't think that's the problem?

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Thank you for your reply.

I see. Well, the least you can do is to check if Sense-, Transmitter-, and Encoder-IDs of his custom framebuffer match with the output you get from the decoder tools. These three are the main source of problems, I believe.

Okay, will do.

I just noticed, and I really don't like this, that I only have OpenGL support till 2.1. I'm a game programmer, and I have to use OpenGL 3.1, please tell me there is a way to fix that? :S

On a Windows installation I have full support till 4.1.

Okay, will do.

I just noticed, and I really don't like this, that I only have OpenGL support till 2.1. I'm a game programmer, and I have to use OpenGL 3.1, please tell me there is a way to fix that? :S

On a Windows installation I have full support till 4.1.

By far, not possible.

• 2 months later...

I have the same exact issue with my AMD 7970M in both Mountain Lion and Mavericks and have not been able to solve it. I also tried swapping a friend's nVidia 680M in there and even though it pretty much worked OOB, I had the same color banding/depth issue. I have experimented a lot with modifying the framebuffer (Buri in ATI7000Controller.kext) to no luck. The following is the original connector and the modified one that is working fine but has the same color depth issue with my 7970M card:

Original:  02000000400000002905010010050505

Modified: 02000000000100002905010010000505