Anyways, as the title says, I'm getting a new toy - specifically the Acer Aspire V3-771G-9456
For the unacquainted, this steal of a deal features the following:
CPU: Core i7-3632QM @ 2.2Ghz (turbo @ 3.2)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M
RAM: 6 GB DDR3 SDRAM (upgradable to 16GB)
Screen: HD+ 1600x900 / 17.3''
Storage: 750GB HDD (optional 2nd HDD/SDD bay included!)
Misc: Gigabit Ethernet, BT 4.0 HS, USB3.0, Memory Card Reader (Pretty Standard)
First off, what I want to end up with is an acceptable 10.7 or 10.8 machine.
So somethings that'll be difficult (I assume):
HM77 Express Chipset
Third-gen Core i7
Dolby Digital sound option (not really an issue if standard sound works)
Full graphics capability
And pardon me in advance if this sounds like a guide. I'm more or less passively asking for tips and tricks. This is how I'm planning for it to go down:
- Install a rough vanilla 10.6.3 base with working LAN drivers.
- Update to 10.6.8 for App Store
- Download and install 10.7 to a DVD
- Install 10.7 vanilla OVER 10.6.8
- Update to 10.7.4 (current?)
- Install Nvidia's Fermi drivers (I believe my card's a fermi-based?) / figure out what's not working.
- Install multiple Kext packages, rewrite the bootlist for needed flags and pointers
- (possibly fork out $ for 10.8)
So of course there's bound to be issues, but I hope to do some self-help for that. I plan on learning DSDT editing, as well as creating drivers for my own system.
If you have anything to add, programs to recommend, or any advice to give in general, please feel free to post!