Installation failed

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

i've a problem with installation of system app (as kext or os x updates). In fact when i try installing the update 10.8.3 (combo) downloaded from official Apple website, it report me the error "Installation failed". The same error if i try installing some kext as sleepenabler or audio. But, IMPORTANT: the update (10.8.3) and the kext have been successfully installed because they work very well!! In fact i'm writing now from a iHack 10.8.3 and i'm listening music!

So why i have that error?

Thanks.

Hi, in which form does the error appear when you install kexts? Mac doesn't have a kext installation tool and if you used an utility for it, it is probably its fault.

I will leave out the combo update for now.

Not only kext...for example if i install Nvidia Cuda appear the error in image that i attached now. Every time i install an app that have to install driver (kext). But if i install a "normal" app, as Twitter or Evernote, this error not appear. Note that Cuda is install now, so i don't know why i get that error..

post-862010-0-62304900-1365897224_thumb.png

You don't need to, the changes are applied immediately.

It seems the main error is:

The operation couldn't be completed. (kextcache error 71.)

After searching a bit, it seems that you have a kext in your /System/Library/Extension folder that is faulty and doesn't allow the kernel cache to be rebuilt properly every time you install new extensions.

Can you try running this script and posting the output? It will rebuild the kernel and system caches and should show you an error message or warning if something is not right.

• Like 1

Can you try running this script and posting the output? It will rebuild the kernel and system caches and should show you an error message or warning if something is not right.

First of all thank you very much for the help you're giving me k3nny! I've run that script and attached the result.

Shell result.rtf

Something is not right with your FakeSMC plugins. I would recommend you to remove them - including the FakeSMC - and install a recent version from kozlek's branch (before rebooting!).

Make sure you delete all plugins (F718x.kext, IT87x.kext, ...). Usually they can be found in FakeSMC.kext/Content/PlugIns/. In this case just delete the whole FakeSMC.kext directory.

Alternatives are: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1643, http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2585.

In case you don't get any missing dependency messages when you run the script, everything should be fine. You're welcome. :)

• Like 1

Make sure you delete all plugins (F718x.kext, IT87x.kext, ...). Usually they can be found in FakeSMC.kext/Content/PlugIns/. In this case just delete the whole FakeSMC.kext directory.

I've delete FakeSMC.kext and install a new versions from that site but no change. However in

FakeSMC.kext/Content/PlugIns

/ i can find only ACPISensors, CPUSensors, GPUSensors, LPCSensors and MotherboardSensors.

What i've do is: 1) moving to trash the "FakeSMC.kext" 2) install the new Package FakeSMC.kext

Please tell me if i'm wrong, thank you again k3nny

:)

Have you checked if your old FakeSMC had a "PlugIns" folder and if it did, what was inside?

You need to make sure that the old plugins are deleted to avoid these error messages. Maybe you additionally got a FakeSMC in your "/Extra/Extensions" folder? If so, delete it.

If you can't find it, attach kexts.txt from your desktop after running this command:

cd ~/Desktop && find /System/Library/Extensions > kexts.txt && echo -e '\n---\n' >> kexts.txt && find /Extra/Extensions >> kexts.txt

It will list all files in /S/L/E and in /E/E.

You can delete the APCISensors plugin by the way. It is only used with a specially adjusted DSDT.

Where did you find MotherboardSensors? I don't think it is part of kozlek's FakeSMC package.

• Like 1

Have you checked if your old FakeSMC had a "PlugIns" folder and if it did, what was inside?

You need to make sure that the old plugins are deleted to avoid these error messages. Maybe you additionally got a FakeSMC in your "/Extra/Extensions" folder? If so, delete it.

If you can't find it, attach kexts.txt from your desktop after running this command:

cd ~/Desktop && find /System/Library/Extensions > kexts.txt && echo -e '\n---\n' >> kexts.txt && find /Extra/Extensions >> kexts.txt

It will list all files in /S/L/E and in /E/E.

You can delete the APCISensors plugin by the way. It is only used with a specially adjusted DSDT.

Where did you find MotherboardSensors? I don't think it is part of kozlek's FakeSMC package.

I think that I've not install new kext from kozlek's because i've seen now that I've my old FakeSMC, so I'm in error. I've attached the kexts.txt.

However i don't have the Extensions folder in Extra.

EDIT: in my old plugins there are

ACPISensors, CPUSensors, GPUSensors, LPCSensors and MotherboardSensors.

kexts.txt

I see, you got some leftovers in different places. You need to delete:

1) /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins/MotherboardSensors.kext

2) /System/Library/Extensions/IntelThermal.kext

3) /System/Library/Extensions/SuperIOFamily.kext

The newer FakeSMC keeps all its plugins in one place so it easier to update/delete.

Afterwards run the script again to rebuild the caches and see if everything is ok after a reboot.

• Like 1

I see, you got some leftovers in different places. You need to delete:

1) /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins/MotherboardSensors.kext

2) /System/Library/Extensions/IntelThermal.kext

3) /System/Library/Extensions/SuperIOFamily.kext

The newer FakeSMC keeps all its plugins in one place so it easier to update/delete.

Afterwards run the script again to rebuild the caches and see if everything is ok after a reboot.

k3nny: YOU ARE THE KING OF HACKINTOSH!! Thank you thank you very much! Finally all works well!! I don't really know how to thank you :)

• Like 1