Some newbie questions

marcus121

11 posts in this topic

Hello, I have some questions to ask which i could not find anywhere.

How can i add custom kernel to installation DVD, so i could select it on installation or if theres any other way to do that i would appreciate if you could enlighten me :D

I installed iAtkos v7 beacuse iAtkos S3 v2 wasnt able to recognize my HDD in Disk utillity, i heard that there are other distros, but i could find a lot information about them, so if youre willing to write something about it, i would appreciate it, and thats number 2.

Thank you very much in advance :)

You can add a custom kernel by just placing it into the root of you're drive. If you maybe download a legacy kernel it will probably be called legacy_kernel . You can do this on 2 ways.

1. Rename it to mach_kernel and it will be loaded automatically. 2. You can type as a boot flag: kernel=legacy_kernel . When you booted up in the os change or add these lines:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

If you add those lines you don't have to type it in again on the bootloader.

About the distros i don´t know because i never used one.

• Like 1

People mode some different kernels i see you have a AMD processor, so you need an AMD kernel. What is maybe called amd_kernel. If you installed the system it isnt too late. I assume you are now booting in to the system. So you probably need an app called ShowAllFiles. That app lets you see all the files and then you can delete the old kernel and install the new one. I have one AMD system and i downloaded a kernel too and it was called mach_kernel so i needed to do the ShowAllFiles way. If you download a kernel thats called amd_kernel or legacy_kernel just to the way above with adding those lines. If you cant boot into windows i will explain it to you how to do it that way.

Oh i was researching before i started posting, and i have dual boot now working perfect, its just that i couldnt find that kernel info.

So, if i got you right: i put new downloaded kernel into installation dvd root, and when i was installing iatkos v7 i could choose whether i want voodoo 9.5.0 or 9.7.0, so, the new kernel would be listed there?

iFIRE, these are just some general questions, when i'll have specific questions about AMD i'll post there, thank you :)

Well my English isnt so good. I think i can explain it better then read it.

1. Put the downloaded kernel into the CD

2. Install the things you want.

3. If i got you right i would boot back into windows download Paragon HFS for windows. (So you can read/write hfs)

4. Copy the downloaded kernel what you had into your dvd into the Mac drive/partition.

5. Then you can boot into your mac

• Like 1

You can try it of course but i dont know if you can. Actually it seems quite logic. I'm going to install Lion this weekend on my AMD pc with quite a similair processor so please post back if you succesfully install it.