Having issue with HDD

6 posts in this topic

Original issue sort of fixed, well, it's evolving, I'll have to see if it remains after a couple reboots.

I have a HDD in my machine that was working when I first installed, but at some point shortly there after it stopped mounting. In y previous install of SL, when I had SL on the Raptor I am using for backups, and Windows was on the SSD I am currently installed on, the drive was seen in Windows no problem, In Disk Utility the HDD is there, but it won't let me do anything with it. I thought it may be how it's formatted or something, but there is another disk that's formatted the same and it works fine.

My drives are as follows ...

OS Drive - Intel SSD - disk1 (in my last session this was disk0)

-- 209.7MB - disk1s1

--239.71GB - disk1s2 - journaled HFS+ - mount point - /

Storage Drive I - Seagate HDD - disk0 (was disk1)

--1TB - disk0s1 - MBR (Master Boot Record) - USFD_NTFS - mount point - /Volumes/Storage

Storage Drive II - Seagate HDD - disk3 (was disk4)

--209.7MB - disk3s1

--1.5TB - disk3s2 - GPT - /Volumes/Storage II

Backup Drive - Western Digital Raptor - disk2 (was disk3)

--209.7MB - disk2s1

--149.7GB - disk2s2 - journaled HFS+ - mount point - /Volumes/Raptor

Problem Drive - Western Digital - disk4 (was disk2)

--1TB - disk2s1 MBR (Master Boot Record), but doesn't report file system, which should be NTFS.

No mount point :(

So as you can see last time I was booted up all the disk were assigned to different disk#'s, is this bad? I would have thought this was a consistent thing. Any ideas why disk4 won't mount now, but can be seen?

Thank you,

John

So as you can see last time I was booted up all the disk were assigned to different disk#'s, is this bad?
No, though that can mean that disks order in BIOS has changed from the last boot. This can happen either if you changed the boot disk option in BIOS (for instance setting OS X disk to be the boot disk or setting Windows disk to be the boot volume will change disk naming in OS X) or if any of the disks present was not recognised by BIOS.

Any ideas why disk4 won't mount now, but can be seen?
Either it has a damaged file system (for instance a PC was reset unexpectedly) or the disk itself is not OK. Try running disk check in Windows (My computer>Right click on the disk label>Properties>Tools tab>Error checking>Check now button).

Unfortunately I don't have Windows running anymore :( can I run it from Parallels?

• 3 weeks later...

You should still be able to check the smart status of the disk in osx. Disk utility is usually the last to realize a drive is failing. Try smart utility.

I think it sees the drive, but all it tells me is that it passed, not any help getting into it. And it's telling me that my other storage drive is failing :( Reallocated Bad Sectors or something.