10.8.4 Betas Builds

artur_pt

195 posts in this topic

the P5K one, with a Fermi GTX460 2GB (updated from the 8800GT)

Also tried the latest beta build, still freezes. :(

Really strange, I will try the drivers from DP3, should replacing the kext *OpenGL not be enough? Going to try, will let you guys know if it fixes the crashes.

Thanks for your suggestion. :)

I've installed the new 12E36 build and no freezes until now, my experience with 10.8.3 was terrible, i had 4-5 freezes per hour so i could not do anything. ( I'm using it for 3 hours with audition, photoshop, basic desktop navigation, web and some idle time) i have a tuned AGPM kext to use 2 performance levels on my GTX 550ti

• Like 1

Yeah, 12E36 is better than 10.8.3 here, but it will eventually freeze... So far, I tried 10.8.0 (=10.8.1, same kexts), DP3, 10.8.2, 10.8.1 nvidia kexts, 10.8.2 nvidia kexts, 10.8.3, and every build of 10.8.4, and the only one that gave me ZERO freeze in a week is DP3 kexts.

I think DP3 had multiple builds, I'm not sure which build I'm using right know. I have yet to try DP4 kexts also, but at this point I doubt it will change much. Even DP3 ones are about the same performances as the 10.8.4 ones from what I can see.

I kept using APGM from 10.8.3 though... this works fine with DP3 kexts.

Yeah, 12E36 is better than 10.8.3 here, but it will eventually freeze... So far, I tried 10.8.0 (=10.8.1, same kexts), DP3, 10.8.2, 10.8.1 nvidia kexts, 10.8.2 nvidia kexts, 10.8.3, and every build of 10.8.4, and the only one that gave me ZERO freeze in a week is DP3 kexts.

I think DP3 had multiple builds, I'm not sure which build I'm using right know. I have yet to try DP4 kexts also, but at this point I doubt it will change much. Even DP3 ones are about the same performances as the 10.8.4 ones from what I can see.

I kept using APGM from 10.8.3 though... this works fine with DP3 kexts.

Finally took your advise cyclonefr.

I extracted the following files from OS X ML 10.8 DP3:

- /System/Library/Extensions/NV* & GeForce* kexts

- /System/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework

- /System/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

- /System/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework

Run the following commands:

sudo rm -r /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}
sudo cp -R dp3_nv /
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}
sudo perl -p -i.old -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x87\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x06\x8b\x87\x20\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x02/\x31\xc0\xff\xc0\x89\x06\xff\xc0\xff\xc0\x89\x02\x90\x90\x90\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); } ' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

Run Kext Utility and rebooted.

GPU Driver should now be 8.0.23 295.30.00a16 and OpenGL/QE should work. :)

All other kexts/frameworks are from 10.8.3, also no problem here.

@cyclonefr: are you running/testing my patch? I'm still tweaking. :)

No freezes, but still need to test it more.

yes @beta992, i'm using your tweaked AGPM, along with DP3 kexts,frameworks and it works perfectly. I think it's not perfect though : Launchpad never lags anymore but sometimes I noticed a few lag in Safari displaying HTML 5 effects (but if I launch Launchpad before, then no lag when displaying that effect after that). It's still much better than without your AGPM and almost perfect.

EDIT : have in mind that WebGL is broken with DP3 kexts and will spam the console with NVDA errors. This is probably because the DP3 kexts aren't complete, but as long as I don't get the random freezes, I'm fine without WebGL to be honest !

• Like 1

yes @beta992, i'm using your tweaked AGPM, along with DP3 kexts,frameworks and it works perfectly. I think it's not perfect though : Launchpad never lags anymore but sometimes I noticed a few lag in Safari displaying HTML 5 effects (but if I launch Launchpad before, then no lag when displaying that effect after that). It's still much better than without your AGPM and almost perfect.

EDIT : have in mind that WebGL is broken with DP3 kexts and will spam the console with NVDA errors. This is probably because the DP3 kexts aren't complete, but as long as I don't get the random freezes, I'm fine without WebGL to be honest !

I hope that the 10.8.4 final version fixes all these issues. :(

Although it seems to be a problem with v300 series nVidia drivers. DP3 is version 295.30.00a16.

Maybe there is a bug inside de openCL framework that triggers 'something'. Anyway, only Apple/NV seems to be able to resolve this issue.

So far testing this version (DP3), hope this solve the freezes. :)

10.8.0 and 10.8.2 (Apple drivers) are 295.XX too. I don't think 10.8.4 final will fix our issues, simply because GF104/107 or whatever Fermi that is we are using, isn't officially supported by Apple. Only Fermi chip that Apple supports isn't the same and thus most likely why we have issues. We are actually lucky that DP3 drivers seem to work !

10.8.0 and 10.8.2 (Apple drivers) are 295.XX too. I don't think 10.8.4 final will fix our issues, simply because GF104/107 or whatever Fermi that is we are using, isn't officially supported by Apple. Only Fermi chip that Apple supports isn't the same and thus most likely why we have issues. We are actually lucky that DP3 drivers seem to work !

Well, the strange thing is that 'real' Mac's with a Fermi-videocard also having these issues.

Are you sure about the 295.XX?

I haven't fully tested the DP3 drivers, but it seems to be working (good) indeed. :)

@beta992 : yes, real mac that are running these unofficial NON supported Fermi cards have this bug. Real Mac (or hackint0shes) running the Fermi Quadro don't have this error at all. Why ? Not because it's an official card, but because it's not the same Fermi chip as the one we are using. Thus, OSX drivers are tested to work with these, but not ours.

Yes, I'm sure about 295.XX, just take a look at 10.8.2 delta update PKG for example. These freezes rarely but they do.

• Like 1

I am having a sort of experiment here i am using the old ways that I used at Lion OSX, running CUDA-test, the one with the triangles being drawn. I am using it together with the 310.20.00a08 drivers from 10.8.4, I am now at the 3rd day without any freeze, maybe our problem is in the AGPM..? what do you think?

if I gotten no freeze using the above for a week, i will try reverting back the official 10.8.3 driver, run CUDA-test and see what happen.

If all goes well i will try to modify my AGPM in such a way it behave like it was running a CUDA-test (by controlling power of the gpu to a certain level, that's the idea)

I am having a sort of experiment here i am using the old ways that I used at Lion OSX, running CUDA-test, the one with the triangles being drawn. I am using it together with the 310.20.00a08 drivers from 10.8.4, I am now at the 3rd day without any freeze, maybe our problem is in the AGPM..? what do you think?

if I gotten no freeze using the above for a week, i will try reverting back the official 10.8.3 driver, run CUDA-test and see what happen.

If all goes well i will try to modify my AGPM in such a way it behave like it was running a CUDA-test (by controlling power of the gpu to a certain level, that's the idea)

There are no problems with AGPM. Users tried to edit this kext before, so that the GPU was always be in a higher (or lower) state to prevent freezes. But it didn't fix anything. The reason you don't get a crash is because your GPU is busy (rendering with CUDA-test), for some reason this prevents the openGL crash from being happening. My theory is that the openGL driver (as used in the latest drivers) can't handle task switching when closing and opening new tasks (aka windows). When running something in the background (CUDA-test) it will keep running an openGL(?) task, that will not terminate a running process that is needed for the nVidia-GPU. Or something like that.. :P

Also see the comment from cyclonefr.

• Like 2

I extracted the 8 kext files related to nvidia from 10.8.2 (no big problems with freezing) and installed them after the combo update to 10.8.3, repaired permissions, the system would not boot anymore.

What do i have to replace from 10.8.2 to 10.8.3 for the system to work ?

Kexts and the two frameworks also ?

i need 10.8.3 to be able to use photostream and the latest iphoto (the latest update is iphoto 9.1 for 10.8.2)

EDIT : i see now there is another NV kexts, NVSMU, is that kext also needed for the replacement ?

... My theory is that the openGL driver (as used in the latest drivers) can't handle task switching when closing and opening new tasks (aka windows). When running something in the background (CUDA-test) it will keep running an openGL(?) task, that will not terminate a running process that is needed for the nVidia-GPU. Or something like that.. :P

Also see the comment from cyclonefr.

I think you are right. In fact, I've been looking into nouveau (an opensource linux driver for Nvidia GPUs) and it seems that channels are related to processes inside GPU and we do get channel exceptions, don't we? :)

Can anyone with a GTX 465, 470, 480 or 480M confirm that he/she doesn't get any freezes? According to this list, they use the same chip as the officially supported Quadro 4000. If those cards indeed don't freeze, then there are some differences between the GF100 and our GF114 chips regarding how the driver handles channels. Perhaps we could ask nouveau developers then, and, if it's just something small, it should be possible to disassemble the driver and try to make it behave "the GF114 way".

• Like 2

I think you are right. In fact, I've been looking into nouveau (an opensource linux driver for Nvidia GPUs) and it seems that channels are related to processes inside GPU and we do get channel exceptions, don't we? :)

Can anyone with a GTX 465, 470, 480 or 480M confirm that he/she doesn't get any freezes? According to this list, they use the same chip as the officially supported Quadro 4000. If those cards indeed don't freeze, then there are some differences between the GF100 and our GF114 chips regarding how the driver handles channels. Perhaps we could ask nouveau developers then, and, if it's just something small, it should be possible to disassemble the driver and try to make it behave "the GF114 way".

I also had problems with Arch Linux running the Nouveau drivers when waking the system up from sleep, take a guess.. openGL channel error. I think you've right, the issue is something when the driver needs to control 'channels'.

I don't think someone can modified the drivers, since they are closed source. The only one who can help us are nVidia.

Or there should be a possibility to flash a ROM on the nVidia GPU so that it's act like a Quadro 4000.

I don't think someone can modified the drivers, since they are closed source. The only one who can help us are nVidia.

I know, that's why i said disassemble it and modify it in assembler. If it's just some minor changes, it should be possible. We would need someone who is good with assembler, though...

Or there should be a possibility to flash a ROM on the nVidia GPU so that it's act like a Quadro 4000.

If you mean modifying the ROM to act like a Quadro 4000, than that should be possible, but again, it's closed source - assembler (and this time it's not going to be x86 assembler) skills required. However, if you mean flashing ROM from Quadro 4000 to some different GPU, then good luck with that. You'll probably just end up with a bricked GPU...

Don't flash a quadro 4000 rom on GF104/107, you will brick... That's not the solution ! Of course Quadro 4000 works fine on real Mac, try to google the issue, and you won't find it :D So yeah any GF114 should work. Try to google the GF114 cards, and you will prolly have a hard time finding people complaining.

Also, proof that AGPM isnt the solution for our freezes : MacPro3,1 can uses some of these cards fine, and AGPM isn't even loaded on real MacPro3,1....