Possible LGA775 motherboard?

19 posts in this topic

Can anyone confirm that any of the LGA775 motherboards on newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600007879&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA%20775) Work OOTB or without much hacking for installing 10.6.8?

Question 2: I have a Pentium D E2200 sitting unused in my basement. Is this processor confirmed to work with OS X?

Thank you.

1) they will need special/edited kexts/dsdt patches for onboard audio, network, sleep etc., like all compatible boards that are not UEFI-based Gigabyte boards (UEFI Gigabyte boards also need tweaks, don't get me wrong, but they tend to be easier to set up, and most of them will achieve basic functionality without dsdt patching);

2) With 32-bit compatible versions of OSX, yes. This include all but Mountain Lion. With Mountain Lion, you'll need the 10.8.x amd_kernel (don't let the name mislead you: it does work with Intel CPUs) for your Pentium D to work.

All the best!

Incorrect. The Pentium D E2200 is Core microarchitecture with SSSE3 and EM64T, he won't need a patched kernel.

saz: google/forum-search the on-board sound and lan on each board to find which are most compatible. Try to get a board with Analog Devices or Realtek ALC audio, avoid everything else.

Avoid the ASRock board that has ICH5, it's too old (100 Mbit ethernet and AGP graphics!).

Note that neither GMA 3100 nor X4500 on-board video will work in OS X. Get at least a G92 based Geforce card.

Out of those boards I'd go for the MSI or the Gigabyte (not that I'd ever buy any of those boards but this is your topic) but I can't see what model on-board audio the Gigabyte board has. Possibly the ASRock G31M-GS could work too.

Note that I'm talking about sound and ethernet, OS X will run on all of those boards, even the ICH5 board.

Realtek 8111 LAN will work with a third party driver, IIRC there are three drivers to choose from for it at the moment, one of them currently in development with its own thread right here on IM. Note that there are several models of the 8111, it looks like some have better driver support than others.

ALC662 audio is supported via VoodooHDA or patched AppleHDA though some users seem to have difficulties with it on Mountain Lion.

Personally I'd try to find something a little more recent with at least ICH9/10 and P45/P43/P35 chipset (in that order). Most of the socket 775 boards in the Asus P5Q and Gigabyte EP45 series are great for running OS X. Even Gigabyte themselves knew this, it was discovered that they had added OS X specific code to some of their boards in later BIOS revisions.

My Asus P5Q-E can boot and install Mountain Lion with only fakesmc.kext and the Chameleon boot loader.

• Like 1

lol don't fret, only someone who has upgraded PCs for an office or a school remembers that there were Core Microarchitecture Pentium Ds.

'

i never cared for them. iwent from old 478 to core duo.. i skipped pentum D n cousins celeron

Gringo's CPU timeline

TMS9900 (1982 I think)

Zilog Z80

MOS 6510

Motorola 68000

Pentium II 350 (1998)

Pentium 3 600

Pentium 3 1400 (I still have all the parts for this PC in a box somewhere)

Pentium 4 630 (i skipped 478)

Pentium 4 651 (first Hackintosh)

Core 2 Duo E8500

Later this year maybe, a Core i5 3570k.

Although not in the list, but a good option too. ASRock G41M-GS3 works good with retail SL. The on-board VGA is not supported, but G210 card I have, works. Audio is working with VoodooHDA. LAN works with official Realtek drivers. And it has much cheaper DDR3 RAM and up to 8GB supported. Only basic DSDT edits are needed. Though there I'm getting "PCI configuration..." error (npci=0x2000 solves that).

Thank you! I have found some of those on ebay... Probably going to buy one :) My friend got a PowerMac G4 for free, so he said he'd give me the case for free and i'm going to mod it to fit standard m-atx form factor

• 2 weeks later...

I ca tell of one 775 board that works very well with Snow Leo and that is the Asus P5E3 Deluxe or Asus P5E3 WiFi AP. i was able to install the updates avaiblable and iAtkos and all the needed drivers on disc, even the wifi works.

you can find thme on ebay but. they are tad pricey.

• 8 months later...

Incorrect. The Pentium D E2200 is Core microarchitecture with SSSE3 and EM64T, he won't need a patched kernel.saz:

Wrong. The Pentium D only supports SSE3 and emulated EM64T, so a patched kernel must be used for Lion and Mountain Lion. The cores are 2x0 instead of 2x2 (Intel Core 2 Duo family) and do not support true 64 bit architecture (EM64T is emulated stuff). To install SL I had to use a legacy bootloader. Otherwise I would run into the 0xdeadbeef error (ati.c, line 1024). But it may work for you.

What do you mean EM64T is emulated...?? There is no such thing. Where did you get that from?

Click the link. That particular model Pentium D is an Allendale Core Microarchitecture CPU with EM64T and SSSE3, therefore it will work with the vanilla kernel.

The Pentium Ds that won't work are older model Netburst/Prescott/Presler architecture like the Pentium 4.