• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

djulink

djulink

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Yes, but you can see the area at the top of the IO is cramped in as a result....but it is pretty good as only some audio ports look to be blocked and they are not used anyway.

The method would work really well with a board that has low profile IO. Could nicely finish it off using similar method to how I do my mATX kits. Suspend a trim plate off the 2 x 92mm fan carrier with a couple of 10mm standoffs to give a three quarters border to an IO shield. Could trim the raw surround of the case with a bit of edge trim (like on fan blow holes) and it'd tidy it up a bit more too.

In fact, I've changed the motherboard not long ago (had a Gigabyte 880 mATX when I put up the mod) ; on this AsRock z77 model, the PCI-E 3 port was very close to the CPU socket.
So to be able to use the PowerMac G5 genuine PCI slot for the TITAN and the PCI-E 3 port (and not a PCI-E 2 with my Grail GPU), I had to un-glue the G5 original stands-off, relocate them higher ; that's why there is so much space below, when you look to the I/O cut.
The aquamac solution would have been the perfect one, but I'm not skilled enough to work metal like that ; I tought instead, using long and thin plastic sticks to dress-up the I/O nasty cuts.
Indeed, I'm not using the audio plugin since I'm enjoying the sound capability of HDMI connection and Nvidia High Def driver.

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 638 posts

The aquamac solution would have been the perfect one, but I'm not skilled enough to work metal like that ; I tought instead, using long and thin plastic sticks to dress-up the I/O nasty cuts.

This kind of stuff works well to hide edges......
http://www.kustompcs.../info_2408.html

nickjf20

nickjf20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Minihack, have you had a look at Kustom's G5 mesh?

Is it almost identical?

http://www.kustompcs.../info_1330.html

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 638 posts

Minihack, have you had a look at Kustom's G5 mesh?

Is it almost identical?

http://www.kustompcs.../info_1330.html

It is close but not identical I think. Probably it is as close as any other off the shelf sources though. For reference, G5 mesh is 5.8mm one direction, 6.25mm in the other (i.e. visually the horizontal distance looks v. similar to the vertical but isn't - typical Apple) and it looks like the mesh at KPC has a larger difference in the dimensions. It also seems to be permanently out of stock, but an enquiry to Graeme might solve that.

djulink

djulink

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

This kind of stuff works well to hide edges......
http://www.kustompcs.../info_2408.html

That would be about it, but I'm looking for something a bit more "pretty" : transparent, maybe...

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 638 posts
This grey stuff would be nice....if only it did not have a pattern on it. Bit too deep though perhaps.

Can't find any transparent stuff, but maybe you could find some small bore plastic tubing and then cut it along the length.

djulink

djulink

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

This grey stuff would be nice....if only it did not have a pattern on it. Bit too deep though perhaps.

Can't find any transparent stuff, but maybe you could find some small bore plastic tubing and then cut it along the length.

Can't get to the link you provided ; seems blacklisted in France... :huh:

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
What you're are blacklisted is sold on ebay.co.uk :

GREY PLASTIC EDGE TRIM 1.0mm TO 3.0mm GRIP RANGE

Posted Image

djulink

djulink

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Ok, thanks Baudouin ; I feel much better with the "holy grail" idea you had ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy