Screen Shaking On External Monitor

4 posts in this topic

I've got this weird screen shaking using my external monitor, but not on my laptop's screen. When I position my mouse on the right side of my external monitor, I get this weird shaking effect on the screen. My specs are:

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a42

Revision ID: 0x0007

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1366 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: On

Mirror Status: Mirroring

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

SMS19A100:

Resolution: 1366 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: HMAC501998

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: On

Mirror Status: Master Mirror

Online: Yes

I am using Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and the laptop is a Gigabyte q1105m using VGA output to a Samsung SyncMaster sa100 monitor. I am using an Intel GMA 4500 FB2A42 kext, as it's the actual graphics card inside the laptop, even though System Report lists it incorrectly. Is there something I can modify to stop the shaking? Here is a link to how the screen shakes when the mouse in in a specific position:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpLpgKbpGUU

First things first (only for the sake of ruling things out):

1) Try a different cable. It rarely happens to be the issue, but it DOES happen.

2) Try a different monitor. Same as above.

3) Just to be absolutely clear, this ONLY happens when the mouse is on the right hand side?

Yes, only when the mouse is positioned on the right side, in a certain area of the screen. I have triple boot, Win7, Lion, Mountain Lion, but it only does it in OSX. I have tried different resolutions, and refresh rates, but same thing. I will have to borrow someone's monitor and cable to test what you have suggested, as I don't own any extras.