PowerMac G5 modding casemodding PowerMac G5 mATX microATX NAS

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...

Who is it??? Google Goggles cant even recognize it - and I know I've seen that album art before but cant place it - you're KILLING ME!!!

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

The album is "Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night"

Soooo......you want to move the tray how far to the left?  :)

Almost all the way, about 4cm and there is a 4,4cm space in between. Why, is there a problem you have encountered already ?

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 641 posts

No

The album is "Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night"

Almost all the way, about 4cm and there is a 4,4cm space in between. Why, is there a problem you have encountered already ?

No, just wondering if you might need a custom tray with the ATX standoff positions moved 4cm left so you can stick in a custom PCB. Obviously then the PCI cards will not line up (as they'll then be 4cm off!). Anyway, email me if you want to play with this and I'll see what I can do on a no profit (for fun) basis.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I'm actually not going to use the PCI and PCI-e slots, as this will be a NAS build with onboard GPU. If anything, I'll get an IBM M1015 controller and just remove the bracket, since it's not needed anyway.

I'll email you about this :)

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Today the custom tray Minihack did for me arrived, thank you so many times for it, you are the best !

And I immediately installed it and the new placement was like expected without any nasty suprises:

gb2Xrc1.jpg
Original tray

Ch8aVO9.jpg
New awesome customised tray

This allowed me to install the rear 92mm fans and leaves room for a connector PCB I'll be trying to make.
But I'm also going to need to make a shroud for the bottom fan to guide the air through the heatsink, as it is probably not being forced enough right now.

At the moment I'm trying to underclock my Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 as far as I can. By default it runs at the following:
3.0GHz = 333FSB * 9x multiplier @ 1.5v (I believe)

Now it's running at the following:
1.6GHz = 266FSB * 6x multiplier @ 1.2v

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 641 posts

Really pleased I could help......

Looking good!

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks ! I haven't done anything in the mean time, it's been very hot here in Belgium, or atleast for Belgian standards. All I know is that underclocking my CPU is not going to happen probably, so this isn't going to run 24/7 just yet :)

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Done !

Or atleast the storage system is:

gslx07t.jpg

R16MYZp.jpg

Damn I'm so proud of myself I finished this as close to my wishes as possible. I didn't expect this to come out this good but I'm effing happy.

Now I'll need to buy hard drives I guess... And maybe a low power motherboard and CPU while I'm throwing cash at it.

v3nom

v3nom

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Good job! The space between the slides will give you an excellent airflow! Are you installing fans?

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Just the two Noctua 92mm's in the back in the original shroud. I'm hoping it will be enough and normally it should be. With the G2020 I should be safe as I've seen people run that chip without a heatsink (really).

I'm just about done configuring/planning the NAS hardware:
- Intel Pentium G2020
- ASRock B75 Pro3-M (8 SATA ports and all-black)
- Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 2x 4GB DDR3 RAM

I've sent a support request to Scythe for a socket 1155-1156 conversion bracket so I might be able to still use the heatsink.

Now comes the more difficult part: the PCB for the rear panel ports.

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 641 posts

Well done on the hot swap implementation - came out really well!

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Today, on a Saturday, I received a package with two of the six 2TB disks that will go into the NAS, along with 9 SATA cables (some spares).

After some twiddling with a few shims, it looks like this:

V7J5LYi.jpg

The problem I have now is I'll need about 20 screws and and 24 nuts for it to fit, because I only found 8 that will work.

rfjvdb

rfjvdb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi Phunczz, I really like your approach. :thumbsup_anim:  Keeping the case as original as possible is also my goal for my Hackintosh.

I'm interested to see how your gonna make your PCB with the original connector locations. Can't wait to see your next posts.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thank you ! I'll be getting a clipped PCB from a PowerMac logic board soon thanks to MiniHack from The Laser Hive, then I'll decide what I'll do. Depending on how clean I can make it, I'm going to keep the clipped PCB or make a PCB from scratch altough for me that's new territory. The problem isn't the PCB but the ports: they need to be the exact right size, orientation (FireWire) and mount height.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
MiniHack is probably Santa Claus, he got me this:

JLJWJRL.jpg

The clipped PCB, held with the original motherboard standoffs. I plan to use them to shroud that part of the case.

zIrmFu1.jpg

Oh yeah ! I didn't know Apple designed a G5 without a modem port but it doesn't matter as it wouldn't be used anyway. I'm going to think about what I'm going to do with that port, maybe try a second RJ-45 if it would fit.

nickjf20

nickjf20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

So you're soldering directly and can live with 2 USB2 ports?

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm going to solder cables or possibly ports to the clipped PCB. This is going to be a NAS, it doesn't require much USB devices. I also want to keep the external looks as original as possible and I can always mount a few extra USB ports in one of the four expansion slots.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

I totally agree with you.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
My new NAS hardware has arrived !

qDg5YIU.jpg
  • Asrock B75 Pro3-M
  • 4x Western Digital WD20EZRX (2TB each)
  • Intel Pentium G2020
  • 2x 4GB DDR3 VLP memory
  • Arctic MX-4
  • Scythe kit to mount the Mugen 2 Rev. A on Socket 115x
  • Startech USB header to 2x USB
This is for the ZFS-based NAS I'm going to run, which is memory-intense and uses very little CPU. I'm currently copying my media to different drives so I can use the two WD20EARS (also 2TB each) I have in my computer, to put them into a RAID-Z2 volume, which is the equivalent of RAID-6.

And this is how it currently looks:

xLBXISA.jpg

The two WD20EARS will be installed on the bottom. The top slide is free for an SSD, the top connector is also connected to the only native SATA-600 port on the motherboard.

8cv5ehI.jpg

Worked from the first start ! Wasn't sure about the CPU mount, felt a lot more fragile then the Socket 775 and 1150 I have experience with.
All four new hard drives are working (not stress-tested) and optimized the UEFI to leave more resources and RAM for important stuff (32MB for GPU is enough).

I'll be focussing on the ZFS-software I'll be using, I'm still dounting between FreeNAS and NAS4Free, I have experience with the former so it's probably going to be that one. That is where the "USB header to USB port" thingie is for: both those OS'es can install on a USB stick since the OS is loaded into RAM when booted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This makes another milestone for my build as it is now going be used for something. The only two things I have left to do is to make the rear connectors into something "real" and then the mod will be finished. But I'm already contemplating the next project which will be a lot more hand-work and built-from-scratch, although I'll be needing some professional help on that one.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
The two drives added:

Dtr0Xyq.jpg

And all is working as expected:

B0io928.jpg

All I need to do is find a suitable NAS OS. FreeNAS isn't a candidate as it doesn't support 4K drives, although it says it does, it is probably going to be NAS4Free or ZFSguru.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PowerMac, G5, modding, casemodding, PowerMac G5, mATX, microATX, NAS

Topic Stats Last Post Info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy