Video Decode Acceleration on Fermi/... GPUs ?

iLeopod

13 posts in this topic

Video Decode Acceleration is not working for me an many others with Nvidia GPUS. I wonder if its possible to get it working with some binpatching.

Things I noticed so far:

• AppleVAFramework request an higher/other GPU Power state
    AVF error: AVAHDGPURendererVP2VP3BoostVP3: AGPMSetBoost code = 0 returned 0xe00002c2 (ig)

this error can be hidden by using MacPro 3,1 SMBIOS (completley disables AGPM/VDA)or adding BoostPState to AGPM info.plistbut this is causing safri to crash often

• when using VDADecodeCheck
    AVF info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen6

intel quick sync enables AirPlay Mirroring but VDA is not possible together with a dedicated GPU for me (with HD4000 this is may different)

• when disabling iGPU in bios and using iMac12,2 SMBIOS and unloading all INTELHD kexts and efi/dsdt info
    AVF info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen6

is still present.

The question is what enables VDA: device-id, subsystem-id, GPU name, Architectureand can we patch it like OpenCL?

interesting ... no sure if it was also working with 10.7.4 for me.

The file we should look at are:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleVA.framework/Versions/A/AppleVA

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceVADriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceVADriver

i had a look with otool but no idea where to start.

So skilled Devs in Reverse Engineering are welcome.

I needed to use imac 12,1 smbios with powerstates in the graphics power management kext to be able to have vda in 10.7.4 , in 10.7.5, something changed and since then i could not get it to work again... it would be noce if someone could point us in the right direction...

I've searched for nvidia vendor-ids in files used (ActivityMonitor) by quick time related to VDA:

assuming byte-flipped 10de --> de10

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Versions/A/AppleGVA

FFCBDE10F381
FAF4DE10F00C
33DDDE10E4DF
0F0000DE100000
8118DE1081E2

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceVADriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceVADriver

C0E2DE10E907

/System/Library/Frameworks/VideoDecodeAcceleration.framework/Versions/A/VideoDecodeAcceleration

none

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on this?

21-04-13 19:34:57,669 VDCAssistant[720]: AVF encoder error: fail to create accelerator instance 
21-04-13 19:52:43,390 VDCAssistant[444]: AVF encoder error: fail to create accelerator instance 
21-04-13 19:57:42,421 VDCAssistant[385]: AVF encoder error: fail to create accelerator instance

• 2 weeks later...

@ theconnactic it looks for me that the intel ivy dose the decoding. With intel sandy bridge i have the problem that it will only enable air play mirroring. But at the other hand slow down the system performance.

It works with my Atom netbook, so i think the discrete card also does the decode. Only my HD 5450 refused to support it.