Always have trouble updating, so breaking down and asking for advice

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So a bit of background on the problems I have. I've had this build since just after 10.8.1 and was able to get it up and running with little issue. 10.8.2 came out and I waited a few days to scope out any widespread issues and then went for the update and hit problems. I never actually figured out what they were as I was able to update the USB drive I install from and just did a fresh install with no problems. So now that 10.8.3 is out I did the same and waited to see if there were any glaring issues, didn't see mention of any so went ahead and updated. Yet again ran into problems. I was able to boot with "-v -f -x" but nothing else, I couldn't even get -s to work without them. Now I can't boot in with anything.

I've yet to re-install as I figure I'll ask this first and hope I can sort my issues out before I do. So my question is what Setup/Kexts are best for my setup.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunberbolt (using BIOS 1708 patched for Power Management)

CPU: Intel i7-3770s

RAM: Corsair 16GB (4x4GB)

GPU: 2x EVGA GTS250

Sys disk: Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD

The LAN is intel 82579V, Audio is Realtek 892, Wi-Fi chip is a Atheros AR9485 (haven't seen anywhere that's gotten this to work)

I've been using Chameleon for bootloader but wouldn't be opposed to switching to Clover if it would be better. I've been using MacPro5,1 as my system definition as well if that makes a difference.

The specs for my board are here if they're needed.

If anyone could give any help that would be awesome. Any more info needed just let me know.

Thanks.

Yeah, I know :P sorry, I just don't remember what exactly it was. At the moment booting with just -v stalls up around something to do with USB if I remember correct but could be wrong.

It really doesn't get far along at all. I usually just re-install and it seems to install fine with no issues. Just would love to know what's best for my setup so I can update when it's available.

post-500212-0-21655700-1363837311_thumb.jpg

Edited by OMEGA_RAZER

You could be a little more specific when you say "ran into problems". How did you upgraded? Appstore or with combo? Did you tried to re-patch or replace your modified kexts after updating?

• Like 1

Oops thought I mentioned. My bad :( was with the combo update. App Store one just never did anything the one time I tried on my old system so just go with combo updates now. As far as I know I don't have any patched kext that would need to be replaced after an update although that could be me missing one again... As far as I know the only kexts I used were the basic fakesmc, intel e1000 and the one for my sound...

I'm not able to boot with that anymore :( I also already had all the kexts in /S/L/E *shrugs* I'm going to try to "update" to 10.8.2 from my install USB tonight and see if I can at least get it booting again then reinstall and add as few kexts as possible and see if I can update.

Don't use any beasts. Is there a best place to get FakeSMC, there's two versions I've heard of, which is best? With the patched BIOS I don't need Null. Should I still put in the DSDT=no if I don't have one or no difference?

Thanks again for all the help.