• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

alienbiker99

alienbiker99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

A few years back I used to run 10.4 with Jas boot discs and the like. Upgraded to 10.5 for a little while before restoring windows and giving the computer to my parents. I got bored the other day and set out to install 10.6.8 as vanilla as possible. I thought I'd share my working system for anybody who might still have one laying around,etc.
Dell Dimension 4700
3.0Ghz P4 HyperThreading
Intel ICH6
SATA boot drive, PATA DVD drive and data hd.
NVIDIA 6600 PCI-e

Attached File  DELL 4700 PERFECT EXTRA.zip   8.11MB   63 downloads

S/L/E (needed for PS2 kexts, appleac97, IOATA-contains appleintellPIIXata and IOATABlockstorage, appleintel8255x PUT inside of IONetworking family)
*Replacing with usb keyboard and mouse in a few days and should be able to delete PS2 kexts.

E/E
ACPISensors, AHCIPortinjector, ATAPortinjector, FakeSMC,Sleepenabler
devices-properties string is only used to get app store working even after ethernetbuiltin=yes, dsdt edit, and ioreg confirming builtin.
**WARNING: DSDT is using NVIDIA 6600 edits, nvcap needs to be changed for your card. Used DSDTSE**

- Anyways onto installing, using any tutorial found on this forum, I created a snow leopard usb boot drive.
- Installed (ps2 keyboard working in install, mouse didn't but used keyboard shortcuts to do entire install process), rebooted with USB boot drive, installed 10.6.8 combo update, installed chameleon and moved files to respective places.
- Currently I have the kernel, (test 8 is the name i used to differentiate from test7 but I cant remember where its from) in the root of the drive
- Booted off the install hd, run system update, update including security update, make sure edited kexts are still in S/L/E (if using S/L/E).
-Had to delete AppleEFIRuntime.kext from S/L/E and then kextutility otherwise I get a kernel panic
- Reboot and should be completely updated and fully working system.

Attached File  DELL 4700 PERFECT EXTRA.zip   8.11MB   63 downloads

**Looking to get all 5 hd audio ports working, or at least being able to remap black output to the green output**

** If anyone has anything to add optimize this system further (dsdt fixes, removing kexts for more vanilla etc), I will definitely try it out**
SOURCES:
A BIG THANKS TO THESE LINKS.
Starting point - http://blog.katharsys.com/?p=819
Kernel im almost positive im using - http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=1675
Latest chameleon - http://www.insanelym...aller-binaries/
others I cant remember off the top of my head, I can find them if anyones interested.

neptoon

neptoon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thank you, it works for me.  Upgraded from Leopard to Snow.  The audio port still not working, at least the green output.

alienbiker99

alienbiker99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

You're welcome, glad it worked. Have audio out through the black port and only one set of speakers for the computer so its alright for me as it sits. 

Whosondephone

Whosondephone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Audio Technology. Computers. Music. Cars.

Thank you so much.  I would not have summoned the guts to pull this off without your post.  I was able to edit the DSDT for my video card.  works like a charm!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dimension 4700install, working, security update 2013-001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy