New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

image.thumb.png.60aa103c132f25ebda04a21ae682ff1a.png@Fake Questioner

Fake Question

Can you read this, may be i could lend you my old man's eye Glass. (hehehe, I bet,  you don't know what I mean. UNSAFE, ROTFL)

One More Joke,  this is HACKINTOSH, hahahaha, unsafe, get out here, hahahahaha.

Why is it there? I know why, Mieze's Cat, bad cat, she put it there /Library/Extension, while you were asleep.

But, seriously, if you were not the one, who put it there.....

Then, my guess, you used IMAGE install from some site,  install the Big Sur Image, and install OpenCore  loader afterward,

THAT IS Really, Really, Really, "UNSAFE".

If the above "Guess" were correct, then i will withdraw my "FAKE" thing, and i am sorry.

Rebuild the KextCache, may fix this.

If you copy other's EFI, redo the EFI yourself,

here is the link to follow:

https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/

get the EFI starting files, from here

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide

One more thing, about that "Unsafe" thing,

what it means, you need to trust the Kext,

and Allow it to install by confirmation via system setting.

If you trust, this kext, then, it does NOT matter, how it is installed.

Sorry for make fun of you.

Edited by aww
Funny Bone, silly question, and Comment, RTFL, unsafe.

@Mieze Hi! Please, take a look more deep at Medium section because of... it still have problems with detecting 1000/100/10 MBps. The last 2.3.0d7 works perf and then all goes so bad. 

Though 2.4.0d5 has problems with AppStore and other connections.

You have to check not only 1000 MBps but the other speed.

PS. I have 100 MBps connection from my router and 1000 from provider. 

100 and 10 MBps has to be autodetected; but cannot, so have no connection. 1000 MBps is working OOB (2.3.0)

On 12/3/2020 at 10:54 AM, aww said:

image.thumb.png.60aa103c132f25ebda04a21ae682ff1a.png@Fake Questioner

Fake Question

Can you read this, may be i could lend you my old man's eye Glass. (hehehe, I bet,  you don't know what I mean. UNSAFE, ROTFL)

One More Joke,  this is HACKINTOSH, hahahaha, unsafe, get out here, hahahahaha.

Why is it there? I know why, Mieze's Cat, bad cat, she put it there /Library/Extension, while you were asleep.

But, seriously, if you were not the one, who put it there.....

Then, my guess, you used IMAGE install from some site,  install the Big Sur Image, and install OpenCore  loader afterward,

THAT IS Really, Really, Really, "UNSAFE".

If the above "Guess" were correct, then i will withdraw my "FAKE" thing, and i am sorry.

Rebuild the KextCache, may fix this.

If you copy other's EFI, redo the EFI yourself,

here is the link to follow:

https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/

get the EFI starting files, from here

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide

One more thing, about that "Unsafe" thing,

what it means, you need to trust the Kext,

and Allow it to install by confirmation via system setting.

If you trust, this kext, then, it does NOT matter, how it is installed.

Sorry for make fun of you.

@aww

A little learning is a dangerous thing ;

Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring :

There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,

And drinking largely sobers us again.

Edited by plsh2me

@Moorre With regard to medium selection, there is no difference between 2.3.x and 2.4.x. The only difference is jumbo frame support which has been added with 2.4.0d0. Medium selection is a process which occurs before a link is established. If medium selection was the problem, you would never get a link up event but as you are noticing problem accessing the App Store a medium selection issue can be ruled out. Your problem description sounds more like a problem with jumbo frames which only work reliable when ALL devices in your network support them and it looks like your router doesn't. You'll have to disable jumbo frames in order to make it work.

Mieze :cat:

@Mieze Ooooops! You still cannot understand the issue. 2.3.0d7 is the last version which can do automatic medium selection. It means that I can use my Ethernet card OOB even in the installer where I cannot do manual selection of what link speed to use now. 2.3.0d10 and higher still cannot do this selection automatically and OOB selects 1000MBps which unusable with my router that can do only 100MBps. If I select the speed manually in the PrefPane to 100MBps then 2.3.0 is working ok. 2.4.0d5 has the same problem with autoselection but additional it has AppStore problem (maybe other things that users reported before: when unable to open router's WEB interface).

@Moorre I understand your problem very well but it looks like you don't understand that it's not the driver which is responsible for this trouble but your router.

First of all, if users are reporting connection problems, it's their fault not the driver's because they don't know what they are doing. Jumbo frames only work when all devices in the network support them as devices which lack support for jumbo frames will see them as broken frames and so that they get dropped which results in connection problems. If users enable jumbo frames without having checked their devices, the problem is clearly located in front of the computer. Frankly, that's the reason why I refused to add jumbo frame support to the driver for several years because I know what would happen.

Second, in 2.3.0d10 I reworked medium selection because there was a problem with medium selection in earlier versions which limited some gigabit devices to 100 MBit speed. The changes resolved this issue but as a negative side effect auto-connection fails with some broken 100 MBit devices. This problem can be easily avoided with manual medium selection. That's a tradeoff and I think it's the better alternative, in particular as the root of the problem is located in the router advertising support for gigabit connections although it doesn't support them.

Third, manual medium selection with the installer can be done with ifconfig in Terminal. A user posted this solution here is in thread a long time ago.

Edited by Mieze

19 hours ago, Mieze said:

The changes resolved this issue but as a negative side effect auto-connection fails with some broken 100 MBit devices. This problem can be easily avoided with manual medium selection.

This means just a buggy kext, that cannot handle auto speed selection after all changes. Next time let's do all other things to be manual set, like to revert all modern things into old times and to go further on crutches.

19 hours ago, Mieze said:

manual medium selection with the installer can be done with ifconfig in Terminal.

So, let's do the same Terminal operations all the time. 

Like:

sudo search google.com 'RTL81xxx.kext that is working flowless OOB' --answer-to-author=1

Sorry

40 minutes ago, Moorre said:

This means just a buggy kext, that cannot handle auto speed selection after all changes. Next time let's do all other things to be manual set, like to revert all modern things into old times and to go further on crutches.

Tell me something: Why is it so hard to understand that your crappy piece of hardware that you call your router isn't the measure of all things? Is it really so hard to understand that a 100 MBit device which makes the computer believe that it's talking to a gigabit device is broken? And why should I limit real gigabit devices to 100 MBit just because you are too lazy to select the medium manually?

Oh, by the way, looks like you are using your computer for nothing else than installing macOS over and over again because the inconvenience using a Terminal command a hundred times a day hits you so hard.

Finally, the driver is published under the GPL. In case you've got a claim against me, make sure it's covered by the GPL. Everybody is free to modify it according to his or her needs and in case you are not happy with my design decisions you might want to do it yourself or simple use something else.

Edited by Mieze
Fixed typo

1 hour ago, Mieze said:

Oh, by the way, looks like you are using your computer for nothing else than installing macOS over and over again because the inconvenience using a Terminal command a hundred times a day hits you so hard.

Very funny! This machine is runnin' 24/7/365 few reboots a month...

I know that You rewrote the code. But I'm not the first person who got problems with 2.3.0d10 and higher.

If you don't want to fix this bug I'll stay at 2.3.0d7.

Please don't be nervous. And if you know the way how to fix this problem, I'm asking YOU maybe write a workaround about that when you have free time for it.

So SORRY for misunderstanding

• Thanks 1

With regard to the connection problems I checked the code again and discovered that there was a bug in the receivers configuration which may cause packet loss and could be an explanation for failed connections. The receiver's maximum packet size register must be set to a value exactly one byte larger than the required packet size, e.g. for a standard packet with MTU of 1500 bytes and VLAN tag the maximum packet size is 1522 bytes so that the receiver's maximum packet size register has to be initialized with 1523 but in 2.4.0d5 and below it was set to 1522 causing dropped packets in certain circumstances. This problem has been fixed in version 2.4.0.d6 (a release build is attached). Source code will be published later.

Good luck testing!

RealtekRTL8111-V2.4.0d6.zip

RealtekRTL8111-V2.4.0d6.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Previously I complained that the version 2.4.0d5 not working (can not connect to network) on Big Sur. Actually if I select manually it works.

I didn't check other version, may be I'm having the same problem like Moorre.

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 20.17.22.png

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 20.17.55.png

Edited by plsh2me
upload pictures
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello @Mieze  (and happy new year from to everyone) can I ask you to add the key LSMinimumSystemVersion in the kext please? Or is it not applicable in this case? I admit I see it in applications Info.plist

This will help people (myself included) to know which is the minimum macOS version applicable. I can only assume this remains Mojave 10.14 yes? Vielen Dank!

Edited by MacKonsti

@hardcorehenry Thank you for the test result. Well, I revised the code for medium selection comparing it with the corresponding code of the underlying Linux driver and changed a few details. If this doesn't resolve the issue, it's most likely a firmware related problem which needs to be fixed by Realtek (I hopse so!) as this is beyond my possibilities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the new dev kext.:thumbsup_anim:

Tested with Firefox 85.0.2 under 11.2.1

Auto works, although the panel says it's full-duplex only, but I guess when one uses auto, he/she wouldn't mind flow-control or EEE. :lol:

OpenWrt's Luci also works now. (SNAPSHOT, r15673-abe348168b):w00t:

(macOS says Realtek RTL8168E-VL/8111E-VL. GA's site says Realtek 8111F.)

Edited by Henry2010
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 6:34 PM, Mieze said:

Here is version 2.4.0d8 of the driver. those of you having trouble with auto-negotiation with earlier versions might want to try this. Good luck testing!

RealtekRTL8111-V2.4.0d8.zip 139.81 kB · 61 downloads

Still no luck. 

I have to select manually to get connected.

net.png

Hi, i am looking from time to time to this thread - for interest.

My Asus H270 Plus MB uses   REaltek Geräte-ID:    0x8168,   Subsystem-Hersteller-ID:    0x1043,   Subsystem-ID:    0x8677.

I can report that Version 2.22 of Mieze Driver working automatic Full duplex. Never must enable manual.

Now i switched to newest 2.4.0d8 Version - NO PROBS with automatic Full version. Stays automatic with Full Duplex as with Version 2.22.

The only thing i can see in diff to Version 2.2.2, is that some more text (after Fullduplex) was added in the Speed preference (gray, because i let it automatic).... Flowcontrol, energy-efficient-ethernet. With Version 2.22 there was only Fullduplex as tet.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-13 um 08.50.12.jpg

Great Work MIeze!

• Like 1

As the last development release turned out to be the most reliable one and seems to resolve most of the known problems, I decided that it's time for an official release of version 2.4.0 and updated the pre-built binary in the download section. I also added the key LSMinimumSystemVersion to the driver's Info.plist.

Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3