New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 7:30 AM, mlodociany said:

OpenCore here, i've tested also beta builds of this kext. I manage to boot into MacOS by creating full system USB installer. However still no ethernet connection with those kexts, MAC address 00:00:00:00....

same issue on OpenCore for me too.  When I plug in ethernet cable, the status lights light up for about 5 seconds and then turn off, and come back a few seconds later. In System Preferences, it fluctuates between saying that there's a cable connected but no DHCP assigned, and disconnected.  Probably just going to swap out for an Intel card. 

I would like to know if/when the RTL8125AG driver is released. Thank you. I have the ASRock Phantom Gaming 9 and my gigabit connection is working, but it would be nice to experience 2.5 gigabit transfers to and from the server through the 10 gigabit switch. Thanks for all the hard work! @Mieze

21 hours ago, rocky_mtn said:

I would like to know if/when the RTL8125AG driver is released. Thank you. I have the ASRock Phantom Gaming 9 and my gigabit connection is working, but it would be nice to experience 2.5 gigabit transfers to and from the server through the 10 gigabit switch. Thanks for all the hard work!

It can't be released before it's ready and I haven't even started the project yet because this morning I had my last exam in university for the winter semester.

Mieze :cat:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2020 at 8:49 PM, rocky_mtn said:

I would like to know if/when the RTL8125AG driver is released. Thank you. I have the ASRock Phantom Gaming 9 and my gigabit connection is working, but it would be nice to experience 2.5 gigabit transfers to and from the server through the 10 gigabit switch. Thanks for all the hard work! @Mieze

I just wanted to let you know that I'm already working on the driver. It's name is LucyRTL8125Ethernet. As I'm still in an early stage of development (about 50% of the code is written), I don't think a first version will be released before the end of the month.

• Like 1

I already pushed the source code to GitHub and will open up a new topic here in the LAN & Wireless section of the IM forum soon. Attached to this post you'll also find a prebuilt binary. I haven't got any kernel panics while testing but be prepared to recover your system in case there is a problem. That's the reason why it's best to load a driver manually with "kextload" in Terminal during early stages of development instead of a proper installation in /L/E or injection by Clover.

Jumbo frame support is implemented and working but I disabled TSO. Do not expect everything to work perfectly, in particular performance might be lousy in early versions of a network driver. :yes:

In case you run into a KP, it's best to clean system caches after that as many KPs are caused by linker problems which are quite frequent when you change the code without changing version numbers.

Good luck testing!

LucyRTL8125Ethernet-V1.0.0d1.zip

Edited by Mieze
  • Like 1

What does this mean? There should be at least kernel log messages? I also had trouble getting it to work for the first time, had to replug the cable several times and had to select the medium manually but now the attached version 1.0.0d3 is working perfectly on my primary work machine so that i decided to use it for productive work.

LucyRTL8125Ethernet-V1.0.0d3.zip

Edited by Mieze
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is version 2.3.0d10 of RealtekRTL8111.kext in which I reworked medium selection in order to resolve problems with getting gigabit speed and connection stability reported by a few users in the past. In case you have been affected, you might want to try this one.

I attached a prebuilt binary which has been tested on Catalina and Mojave.

Good luck testing!

RealtekRTL8111-V2.3.0d10.zip

Edited by Mieze
Exchanged binary
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Mieze said:

Here is version 2.3.0d10 of RealtekRTL8111.kext in which I reworked medium selection in order to resolve problems with getting gigabit speed and connection stability reported by a few users in the past. In case you have been affected, you might want to try this one.

Good luck testing!

RealtekRTL8111-V2.3.0d10.zip

Thanks very much.

When I use V2.2.2 or V2.3.0d5, the ethernet would goes down after I transfered about 10G files. I have to reconnect the cable to make the ethernet work again. 

it's great that I can have a new version to have a try. 

@Henry2010 It also works when injected by Clover, I personally verified this on my test machine, but as I used latest Xcode version to build, the binary only works on Catalina. For Mojave you need to build from source. I will also provide a prebuilt binary for Mojave ASAP.

Mieze

Provided you use an appropriate version of Xcode and select the deployment target according to your macOS version, there should be nothing which prevents it from working with High Sierra or even Sierra.

41 minutes ago, Mieze said:

Provided you use an appropriate version of Xcode and select the deployment target according to your macOS version, there should be nothing which prevents it from working with High Sierra or even Sierra.

Target deployment changed to 10.13(built with such remarks)

dd.png.3a150bec7901ef1036a6bca669867011.png

Target deployment 10.14 no remarks both builds end up like this:

df.png.ebe298299d43a71a1d7cb74554b735f7.png

Re-plugging doesn't help. 2.3.0d7 built from source with target deployment 10.14 works perfect.

Edited by hardcorehenry

I didn't mention it explicitly but it's been posted in this thread several times before. When you build for an older macOS version, you have to use a version of Xcode which was published for this OS version, select the matching deployment target and the correct SDK, e.g for Mojave Xcode 10, deployment target 10.14, and macOS 10.14 SDK! If you fail to do so, you'll get a link error at runtime and the driver won't load.

Mieze

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mieze said:

@Henry2010 It also works when injected by Clover, I personally verified this on my test machine, but as I used latest Xcode version to build, the binary only works on Catalina. For Mojave you need to build from source. I will also provide a prebuilt binary for Mojave ASAP.

Mieze

Thanks. I'll wait for the official release then.

Tested 2.3.0d10 just to see if everything's still working fine on my system. And yes, it does. :D So far, no issues.

I'm currently on Catalina, using OC, but I see no reason why this wouldn't work just as well with Clover.

I never had any issues with build 2.2.2 and I don't foresee any issues with 2.3.0 either, no matter if it's a development build or "release build".

So it's all good on my side.

Thank you very much for the update! :) 

• Like 1

Hello friends, when I am doing some internet download and I leave my hackintosh without touching it, it automatically goes into a sleep state and restarts, throwing the following error. attached photo. this occurs only when there are active downloads. Thank you very much in advance. If you can help me with the solution to this problem, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

image.png

error log.jpg

Some specs might help. :) Please, update your signature with hardware information so we know what are we talking about. Also, if I'm reading this correctly, you're using version 2.3.0d7 of this kext. See above. There's 2.3.0d10. See if it still occurs with that one.

And, if you can, I would also try the previous stable version 2.2.2 just for comparison. See if there's any difference. And what are you using to download? The browser itself? Safari/Chrome? Or some other app?

Also, just to confirm, is your sleep/wake working properly if there's no download in progress?

Edited by arsradu