New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

@mweber: Use the debug version of the driver in order to collect kernel logs. I need at least a full boot sequence with the debug driver. By the way, have you ruled out any hardware issues (bad cable, dust on the connector, etc.)?

Mieze

I have replaced the kext with the debug version, but I don't know where the kernel log is.  I haven't done one of those before.

And yes, all cabling and devices are correct, if I switch the cables into the two ports everything works, but for the other network.

I have replaced the kext with the debug version, but I don't know where the kernel log is.  I haven't done one of those before.

And yes, all cabling and devices are correct, if I switch the cables into the two ports everything works, but for the other network.

Please see post#1 of this thread for instructions how to retrieve kernel logs.

Mieze

@mweber: According to the logs the chip hangs so that the driver keeps resetting it but I still don't know why.

Anybody else with an RTL8111H out there who can confirm the problem or has a perfectly working connection?

Mieze

Yeah -- I thought it was strange because it acts just like the log is showing.  It says it's connect in the SPref > Network and then like 8 seconds later it goes red and starts again.

I've been using this exact same hardware on El Capitan for years and just upgraded to High Sierra last week.   Somehow it seems like it's a problem with the new OS.

I've been using this exact same hardware on El Capitan for years and just upgraded to High Sierra last week.   Somehow it seems like it's a problem with the new OS.

If it started with HS, it might be related to ASPM as newer versions of macOS implement a more aggressive power management policy. Take a look at your BIOS settings and disable "PCH PCIE ASPM Support" (see board manual). Lets see if it helps.

Edit: By the way, do you have sleep/wake working with HS on your machine?

Mieze

It certainly has to do with HS.  Never had any problems before

I just check BIOS and

PCIE ASPM is disabled
PCH PCIE ASPM is disabled
PCH DMI ASPM is disabled

I have never slept this computer in ElCap or HS, it runs 24/7.  So I've never tested it.

I was wondering if it had to do with switching SMBIOS Product Name to iMac17,1.  Somewhere when upgrading to HS I saw that iMax17,1 was the recommended config and I had tons of problems with my Nvidia because of it.  Other than HS upgrade that was the only other major change I made during the upgrade.

I was wondering if it had to do with switching SMBIOS Product Name to iMac17,1.  Somewhere when upgrading to HS I saw that iMax17,1 was the recommended config and I had tons of problems with my Nvidia because of it.  Other than HS upgrade that was the only other major change I made during the upgrade.

Looks like I have to dig deeper. I'm going to have to look at the source code!

Mieze

• Like 2

Hi Mieze, you couldn't make version of the kext with an opportunity to change mac address of the network interface card as here (Realtek RTL8111/RTL8168 driver for OS X with MAC address spoofing), AnV has abandoned development this kext

Hi Mieze, you couldn't make version of the kext with an opportunity to change mac address of the network interface card as here (Realtek RTL8111/RTL8168 driver for OS X with MAC address spoofing), AnV has abandoned development this kext

I see no reason why anybody should need or want something like that because it makes no sense at all. MAC addresses can be changed with ifconfig in Terminal or via a startup script and that's the proper way to handle it. That's why I can't understand why you are asking for this feature?

Mieze

I see no reason why anybody should need or want something like that because it makes no sense at all. MAC addresses can be changed with ifconfig in Terminal or via a startup script and that's the proper way to handle it. That's why I can't understand why you are asking for this feature?

Mieze

Ok I will try a script the driver can and it isn't necessary

The driver now forces ASPM to disabled/enabled according to the configuration parameter setting in its Info.plist. Here is a final test build (for Sierra and High Sierra) which also fixes a few cosmetic issues. Everybody is encouraged to test it. Provided there are no further problem reports, I'm planning to make this build the next official release.

Good luck!

Mieze

RealtekRTL8111.kext-V2.2.2d2.zip

• Like 4

I'm planning to make build the next official release.

Good luck!

Mieze

Please sync code source and commit with this new last version on GitHub  https://github.com/Mieze/RTL8111_driver_for_OS_X/commits/master

Last version release very old time - 2.2.1 from (2016-03-12), what is changelog for new version?

When building from source what using XCode version and SDK?

What is requires support target for versions of OS X?