New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

Why? Binaries can be found here on IM in the Download section. Placing them on GitHub would require additional work to keep them in sync but if you give me a good reason to do so, I might rethink my decision.

Mieze

FWIW, I had great success when I put a built binary under the "release" section on one of my github projects.  The nice thing is you can specify some notes about the release, and you can assign a git tag or branch that corresponds to it too.  Then just upload the binary there. its easy and nice way to provide the binary, github is providing the disk space for it.  It has been very much appreciated by users.  FWIW.

• 4 weeks later...

I compile and build succeeded in Xcode 9.0  from open source kext RealtekRTL8111 https://github.com/Mieze/RTL8111_driver_for_OS_X 

Not code change, default setting but only I set Mac Development Target and Base SDK for only run on 10.13

@Mieze see, only Xcode display warning: 

Unused function 'rtl8168_set_bios_setting' 

for:  rtl8168_set_bios_setting(struct net_device *dev)

Please testing and feedback raport 

RealtekRTL8111.kext---xcode-9.0.zip

I compile and build succeeded in Xcode 9.0  from open source kext RealtekRTL8111 https://github.com/Mieze/RTL8111_driver_for_OS_X 

Not code change, default setting but only I set Mac Development Target and Base SDK for only run on 10.13

@Mieze see, only Xcode display warning: 

for:  rtl8168_set_bios_setting(struct net_device *dev)

Please testing and feedback raport 

So far, so good, so what?

Mieze

• Like 2

I want to report a problem with the RealtekRTL8111 driver v2.2.1

It seemed to work nicely on my new El Capitan setup, but after much frustration, turned out to be incompatible with the osx nfsd daemon. I use this machine as an NFS server for streaming to various Kodi devices on my LAN ( http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS#NFS_sharing_from_OS_X). Large videos would not start playing, and smaller videos (lower bitrate, and thus less demanding of a fast ethernet connection, I assume) would only work intermittently. Often they would stutter.

I hope this problem can be easily reproduced across various hardware and software versions, but here is my setup: GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard with a RTL 8111C chip. I was in the process of upgrading this machine from osx 10.8.5 to 10.11.6. After troubleshooting potential firewall issues and Apple possibly botching up the nfsd daemon, I eventually went back to the Lnx2Mac RealtekRTL81xx.kext v0.0.90 that I'd used for a long time on Mountain Lion. Everything worked as normal with that old driver.

I want to report a problem with the RealtekRTL8111 driver v2.2.1

It seemed to work nicely on my new El Capitan setup, but after much frustration, turned out to be incompatible with the osx nfsd daemon. I use this machine as an NFS server for streaming to various Kodi devices on my LAN ( http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS#NFS_sharing_from_OS_X). Large videos would not start playing, and smaller videos (lower bitrate, and thus less demanding of a fast ethernet connection, I assume) would only work intermittently. Often they would stutter.

I hope this problem can be easily reproduced across various hardware and software versions, but here is my setup: GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard with a RTL 8111C chip. I was in the process of upgrading this machine from osx 10.8.5 to 10.11.6. After troubleshooting potential firewall issues and Apple possibly botching up the nfsd daemon, I eventually went back to the Lnx2Mac RealtekRTL81xx.kext v0.0.90 that I'd used for a long time on Mountain Lion. Everything worked as normal with that old driver.

I've explained it serval times before that this is a power management issue and that I'm not going to waste my time with 10 years old hardware. Sorry, but it's not worth the effort.

Mieze

I've explained it serval times before that this is a power management issue and that I'm not going to waste my time with 10 years old hardware. Sorry, but it's not worth the effort.

Mieze

OK, sorry to hear you're not developing this driver any longer. Do you know of any workarounds for this issue, such as disabling EEE? If not, can you suggest any older versions of this driver or other branches that may not have the problem? I would like to use something better than the Lnx2Mac kext, it breaks if I set a custom MTU.

OK, sorry to hear you're not developing this driver any longer. Do you know of any workarounds for this issue, such as disabling EEE? If not, can you suggest any older versions of this driver or other branches that may not have the problem? I would like to use something better than the Lnx2Mac kext, it breaks if I set a custom MTU.

Looks like you've got it wrong! I will continue to provide updates but I won't wast my time with outdated hardware which will be recycled in the near future.

By the way, the power management issue is not a driver bug, it's a weakness of OS X because Apple has given up support for those machines a long time ago.

Mieze

I'm going to be using this machine for many years, so your recycle comment is off base. I appreciate your development efforts, but don't see that as justifying you yelling at me and repeating yourself. I think my questions about known workarounds or alternate versions are valid and think you should maybe not bother posting non-answers that could deter others from helping.

I'm going to be using this machine for many years, so your recycle comment is off base. I appreciate your development efforts, but don't see that as justifying you yelling at me and repeating yourself. I think my questions about known workarounds or alternate versions are valid and think you should maybe not bother posting non-answers that could deter others from helping.

Are you looking for help or are you looking for a fight? I just told you what I told anybody who asked this kind of question and you'll probably understand that I get tired answering the same old questions over and over again when the answer could have been googled easily.

Personally I don't care what you are doing with this machine and I don't prevent anybody from doing anything. I just wanted to make clear that I won't spend my time with outdated hardware because I consider it to be a waste of (my spare) time.

Mieze

• Like 1

Hello Meize, I am from India.  I had just installed sierra on my HP Laptop.  I5 6200 U, 250 GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3, Intel HD 520 and Nvdia 940 M.  Most of the hard ware works.  However, the ethernet is not working. Tried your drivers.  But still no success.  Installed the kext in S/L/E.  But while booting, it does not recognize.  Any ideas how to fix? 

In Windows System Information it shows as Realtek Gigabit PCI E.   Thanks.

Hello Meize, I am from India.  I had just installed sierra on my HP Laptop.  I5 6200 U, 250 GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3, Intel HD 520 and Nvdia 940 M.  Most of the hard ware works.  However, the ethernet is not working. Tried your drivers.  But still no success.  Installed the kext in S/L/E.  But while booting, it does not recognize.  Any ideas how to fix? 

In Windows System Information it shows as Realtek Gigabit PCI E.   Thanks.

Please send me your kernel logs which include a full boot sequence. For instructions please refer to post#1 of this thread.

Mieze

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Mieze, when the driver will be updated if you know, I have problems with upload stream, the download stream is OK, but upload is bad in High Sierra, previously in Sierra the upload stream is OK, my ethernet is RTL8111B linking at Gigabit connection,  I have 300/300 Mb FTTH in Spain of Movistar. Thanks.

Hello Mieze, when the driver will be updated if you know, I have problems with upload stream, the download stream is OK, but upload is bad in High Sierra, previously in Sierra the upload stream is OK, my ethernet is RTL8111B linking at Gigabit connection,  I have 300/300 Mb FTTH in Spain of Movistar. Thanks.

Which mainboard/CPU do you have?

Mieze

• Like 1

Ok, I did solved it, for anyone that have the previous problem, you must change from automatically auto-negotiation link in Ethernet to 1000 BaseT  in my case that I have 300/300 Mb.  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

I Hope I helped you.  :thumbsup_anim:

Which mainboard/CPU do you have?

Mieze

Thanks for your attention Mieze.  :D  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Meize,

I have Realtek 8168E card and 10.13.1 mac.

From AIDA64:

Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (PHY: Realtek RTL8111)  PCI
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_10031025&REV_0E

My hardware is:

Motherboard: Acer M4640g
CPU: i7-6700 (Slylake)
Graphic: HD530
LAN: RTL8168
Audio: ACL662

When I try to install your kext I got kernel panic after attempt to initialize card.

I have no logs (kernel log is empty about any reatek/ethernet card)

Your kext have compatibility with high sierra?

post-440028-0-39791500-1513600433_thumb.jpg

Hi Meize,

I have Realtek 8168E card and 10.13.1 mac.

From AIDA64:

Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (PHY: Realtek RTL8111)  PCI
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_10031025&REV_0E

My hardware is:

Motherboard: Acer M4640g
CPU: i7-6700 (Slylake)
Graphic: HD530
LAN: RTL8168
Audio: ACL662

When I try to install your kext I got kernel panic after attempt to initialize card.

I have no logs (kernel log is empty about any reatek/ethernet card)

Your kext have compatibility with high sierra?

There is no compatibility issue with High Sierra. In case you've got a kernel panic on initialization, please fix your system. You might either have messed up system caches or a DSDT problem which prevents the driver from accessing the hardware properly.

Mieze

In case you've got a kernel panic on initialization, please fix your system. You might either have messed up system caches or a DSDT problem which prevents the driver from accessing the hardware properly.

I have clear system (made from original "High Sierra Installer.app" from AppStore) with clover. 

Can you help me?

Clover: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nLBxAQ10KmvbrCibp8E6PeC2h4DDxLbN

ioreg: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NaAQPNAIQpM1EIx047lUViOnjUg_vdPw

darwin dump (attemp with another realtek kext, already fully removed): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j5KeHjSjD7nGNBZG7Csw3Nr7Ay77a2Zj

• 4 weeks later...

I have a High Sierra install with the latest patch, 10.13.2 (17C205).  I cannot get my RTL8111H working (ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac).  I have the driver installed correct (I think) and it's the latest version:

✗ kextstat | grep Real
   63    0 0xffffff7f81a45000 0x67000    0x67000    com.insanelymac.RealtekRTL8111 (2.2.1) FDD47F63-B851-312E-AC10-047DCBD6708F <18 12 5 4 3 1>

The IOReg Dump, which shows the controller on RP12/PXSX and everything shows in System Preferences > Network.  I just cannot get a DHCP and if I set a static IP I cannot send or receive.    I'm not sure what is going on.

Any ideas?