New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

Don't expect me to publish new code during the next hours. It's already midnight here in Germany and I can't stay up all night. It will take some time to dig deeper...

Mieze

For some reason, I can't connect to the internet using this kext. I have tried 2.0 and 1.2.3 but no success. My ethernet card:

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 10)

Is it because I'm booting up with npci=0x2000? I need this flag however. Is this an amd problem?

Edit: NVM. Got it to work. A combination of using bronya's kernal and replace kext(cache yosemite AMD), I finally got it to work. This will make you not need to boot up with npci=0x2000.

Ok, next try. After comparing Realtek's latest source code with version 8.037.000, which has been the base for my driver during the last 2 years,  I modified the receiver configuration for some family members because this was one of the most important changes they made.

Good luck!

Mieze 

RealtekRTL8111-V2.1.0d1.zip

• Like 6

Installed v2.1.0d1, restarted, (last time I was using Manual configuration in system network prefs) - and still was no real connection.

But when I turned settings back to auto DHCP - it suddenly connected!

And now I'm answering from 10.11.1  :w00t:

Don't know how stable new driver will be, but at least it works!

Thank you Mieze!!!

• Like 1

Can confirm—ethernet seems to be working great!

Edit: I'm not sure if this is normal OS X behavior or not, but I figured it's worth mentioning: When I first added the ethernet interface in System Preferences -> Network, OS X insisted that the ethernet cable was unplugged. This did not change until I hit "apply".

• Like 1

Hi

I'm using 8111E and I've just tried V2.1.0d1 under OSX 10.11.1, but unfortunately I'm getting a strange behaviour with a Maverick machine using a LAN cable. It was working perfectly prior to the upgrade in Yosemite though.

Firstly, the link speed is only 100Mbit/s rather than 1000Mbit/s before. Yet, downloads peak at just around 120KB/s (~1Mbit/s).

Secondly, I can't ping the IP or the machine name of the other machine. I can browse and access its files in Finder though.

I've attached my ethernet card's spec according to System Information.

Does anyone know what might be missing?

Thanks a lot for the help.

post-1322206-0-70170300-1447947866_thumb.png

@Meize, do you have any idea why 8168E works only on cold boot ? restarting messes up the card (on Windows 10 and OS X 10.11.1) with recycling message continuous like connected but no ip, then no cable connected

I'm not a clairvoyant, I need your kernel logs.

Mieze

Actually how is it possible that the Finder can browse/access the other machine's files (although at very slow speeds) but pinging its IP/hostname fails?

Doesn't Finder use the IP/hostname?

Your problem isn't located at the driver level, it's somewhere else in the higher levels of the network stack. By the way, you are using the same chipset as I do for development which makes it quite unlikely that there is a driver problem.

Mieze

hi..

did you go to "system settings" and than to "share" at the machine you want to see? to enable it..

c.frio

I can already see the machine in Finder and access its files. The issue is that I can't ping the machine and the transfers are very slow (~1-2Mbps).

hi..

did you use "network utilities' ?

c.frio

Hi C.Frio

Yes, I did. Here's a screenshot. Note that it refuses to hit 1000Mbps even when I manually set it to 1000Mbps.

I wonder if the number of Receive Errors might be a hint?

post-1322206-0-31955700-1448108218_thumb.png

I've managed to ping the other machine's IP now. I had to change the subnet mask.

However, I'm still getting the slow speed (1-2Mbps) and the link speed still refuses to reach 1000Mbps and is limited to 10Mbps. How do I check if it's indeed the driver level or higher network level that's acting up?

Thanks