New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

I have real upload issue, from 600ko/sec on Linux down to 10-30ko/sec on OSX Yosemite, is it a know bug ?

Realtek RTL8168C/8111C PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet:

Name:	ethernet
  Type:	ethernet
  Bus:	PCI
  Vendor ID:	0x10ec
  Device ID:	0x8168
  Subsystem Vendor ID:	0x10ec
  Subsystem ID:	0x8168
  Revision ID:	0x0002
  Link Width:	x1
  BSD name:	en0
  Kext name:	RealtekRTL8111.kext
  Version:	1.2.2

Does this happen with Mavericks too?

If you remember a few posts back I reported a similar issue with the same chipset.

The driver provided by realtek is much faster on the home network.

If you remember a few posts back I reported a similar issue with the same chipset.

The driver provided by realtek is much faster on the home network.

Sorry, but this is complete nonsense unless you are communicating with a broken device which is unable to deliver stable throughput and packet roundtrip time because TCP uses these parameters to adapt to the connection speed. In fact Realtek's driver is much slower but ironically this reduces the influence of these parameters.

Mieze  :cat:

Does this happen with Mavericks too?

Hmm i can't remember, once i find the time i'll try on Mavericks and report back the result :)

EDIT: By using a VPN i get the fullspeed, that's strange

Hi Mieze,

I'm using your driver in one of my Hack-Mini build. Everything work fine with one exception. I cannot send big file out.

If I receive big file from remote, or send small file out, all was fine. But if I send big file out (just copy 10G file to remote for example), it will silently stop working after sending 2G to 4G of data randomly. When I say stop working, I mean no error message, but copy stopped/hangs, no system crash, nothing. From outside I cannot ping ethernet port. Renew DHCP on ethernet port will get self assigned address after long waiting.

I tried get dmesg and system log, but find nothing. Reboot or wake from sleep will bring it back. (BTW, wake-on-lan still work after sleep). I also tried to use "ifconfig en0 down / ifconfig en0 up", and that can also bring it back.

This happened in both 10.10.1 and 10.10.2. Following are the information of ethernet card:

Vendor ID: 0x10ec

Device ID: 0x8168

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x19da

Subsystem ID: 0x0123

Revision ID: 0x0006

Link Width: x1

BSD name: en0

This is a Zotac ITX-H77-A-E motherboad, and I'm using Clover bootloader.

Thanks

Noodle

Hi Mieze,

I'm using your driver in one of my Hack-Mini build. Everything work fine with one exception. I cannot send big file out.

If I receive big file from remote, or send small file out, all was fine. But if I send big file out (just copy 10G file to remote for example), it will silently stop working after sending 2G to 4G of data randomly. When I say stop working, I mean no error message, but copy stopped/hangs, no system crash, nothing. From outside I cannot ping ethernet port. Renew DHCP on ethernet port will get self assigned address after long waiting.

I tried get dmesg and system log, but find nothing. Reboot or wake from sleep will bring it back. (BTW, wake-on-lan still work after sleep). I also tried to use "ifconfig en0 down / ifconfig en0 up", and that can also bring it back.

This happened in both 10.10.1 and 10.10.2. Following are the information of ethernet card:

Unfortunately the only solution I can offer is to go back to Mavericks because this is not a driver issue, it's the network stack that hangs sometimes under Yosemite. The problem is not limited to hackintoshes, even real Macs are affected, no matter if they are connected via Ethernet or Wifi. Although Apple promised a solution for 10.10.2, the reports about lost network connectivity don't stop. The reason why I'm absolutely sure that the driver is innocent, is the fact that it has a built-in watchdog timer that would cause a reset of the chip and log an error message "Tx stalled" in case of a deadlock.

Mieze

Unfortunately the only solution I can offer is to go back to Mavericks because this is not a driver issue, it's the network stack that hangs sometimes under Yosemite. The problem is not limited to hackintoshes, even real Macs are affected, no matter if they are connected via Ethernet or Wifi. Although Apple promised a solution for 10.10.2, the reports about lost network connectivity don't stop. The reason why I'm absolutely sure that the driver is innocent, is the fact that it has a built-in watchdog timer that would cause a reset of the chip and log an error message "Tx stalled" in case of a deadlock.

Mieze

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean when I lost connection on Ethernet, I should see some error message like "Tx stalled" in system.log?

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean when I lost connection on Ethernet, I should see some error message like "Tx stalled" in system.log?

Correct! In case of a transmitter deadlock there would be a "Ethernet [RealtekRTL8111]: Tx stalled? Resetting chipset." message in /var/log/system.log.

Mieze

Correct! In case of a transmitter deadlock there would be a "Ethernet [RealtekRTL8111]: Tx stalled? Resetting chipset." message in /var/log/system.log.

Mieze

I checked system.log, and didn't find "Tx stalled", only "Tx timeout". Probably I missed? I will check again.

Thanks for your reply

Noodle

I checked system.log, and didn't find "Tx stalled", only "Tx timeout". Probably I missed? I will check again.

When there is no "Tx stalled" message the driver is working fine. The problem is located somewhere else.

Mieze

Ok, here is the next development release of the driver. I added some code to disable ASPM for the NIC and fixed a few cosmetic issues.

Good luck!

Mieze

Hi Mieze

I have no ethernet after sleep, it sits at Self-assigning IP... I have an ASUS P8Z77-v lk running 10.10. I placed the kext in EFI>Clover>kexts>10.10

Cheers

Hi Mieze

I have no ethernet after sleep, it sits at Self-assigning IP... I have an ASUS P8Z77-v lk running 10.10. I placed the kext in EFI>Clover>kexts>10.10

Cheers

Send me your kernel logs which should include at least one wakeup from sleep.

Mieze

Hi,

Sorry, how do I send a kernel log?

Cheers

I will not go into this topic over and over again. RTFM or use Goggle in order to find out how to retrieve kernel logs.

Mieze

• Like 2

Excuse me for asking. I have googled it and cannot find a answer.

Sometimes I really feel like a nanny. Apart from the fact that it has been mentioned serval time in this thread, you can find the answer in the troubleshooting section of post #1 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287161-new-driver-for-realtek-rtl8111/?p=1898032) and in the Readme file of the binary package.

Mieze

Sometimes I really feel like a nanny. Apart from the fact that it has been mentioned serval time in this thread, you can find the answer in the troubleshooting section of post #1 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287161-new-driver-for-realtek-rtl8111/?p=1898032) and in the Readme file of the binary package.

Mieze

Hi Mieze 

Thankyou. Hope this is the file you need "system.log" https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4X_mhTD40dMSm1Bam10V2FSbFU/view?usp=sharing

Kind regards

Cameron

Hi Mieze 

Thankyou. Hope this is the file you need "system.log" https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4X_mhTD40dMSm1Bam10V2FSbFU/view?usp=sharing

Kind regards

Cameron

According to your log file you are using the lnx2mac driver, not mine:

Feb 11 18:21:21 localhost kernel[0]: [RealtekRTL81xx:init] RealtekRTL81xx.kext v0.0.90 (c)2010-2011 by Lnx2Mac (lnx2mac@gmail.com)
Feb 11 18:21:21 localhost kernel[0]: [RealtekRTL81xx:init] _logLevel is now 132 (0x0084)
Feb 11 18:21:21 localhost kernel[0]: [RealtekRTL81xx:init] Using updated PHY config method
Feb 11 18:21:21 localhost kernel[0]: [RealtekRTL81xx:init] init completed

Mieze

According to your log file you are using the lnx2mac driver, not mine:

Feb 11 18:21:21 localhost kernel[0]: [RealtekRTL81xx:init] RealtekRTL81xx.kext v0.0.90 (c)2010-2011 by Lnx2Mac (lnx2mac@gmail.com)
Feb 11 18:21:21 localhost kernel[0]: [RealtekRTL81xx:init] _logLevel is now 132 (0x0084)
Feb 11 18:21:21 localhost kernel[0]: [RealtekRTL81xx:init] Using updated PHY config method
Feb 11 18:21:21 localhost kernel[0]: [RealtekRTL81xx:init] init completed

Mieze

Lnx2mac isn't in S/L/E...

Regards

Cameron