New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

Has anyone got the current driver running stable on Yosemite without network going down occasional on heavy load with multiple files?

The problem is Yosemite itself. Please see: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/205771-appleintele1000ekext-for-108107106105/?p=2089859

The solution is easy too: get back to 10.9.5!

Mieze

• Like 1

Thanks for the Info Mieze. Damn, what is Apple doing lately ... seems they are being overtaken by their own success. I guess I'll stick to Mavericks/Windows 8.1 till they get things sorted out with the network stack in Yosemite.

The WOL issue is probably because I build with SDK 10.6...

Eventually, I'd like to drop SL compatibility...

Note: I use my version on laptops... where WOL is not usually a desired feature.

Yes indeed, I just built it with 10.10 only and WOL is woking :) :)

Has anyone got the current driver running stable on Yosemite without network going down occasional on heavy load with multiple files?

You can try this 10.10 only build but I guarantee for nothing, I just built and installed it from RehabMans source like five minutes ago :D

So far, I had no issues but it is too early to say something about it

meh :)

Still connection issues from time to time... guess we will have to wait for Apple to fix something in Yosemite. 

Until then here is a little workaround for the disconnecting issue: 

Instead of plugging the cable, you can also fire up the console and turn ethernet off and on again by entering the commands:

sudo -s

ifconfig en0 down

ifconfig en0 up

After that it is working again. So at least we don't have to spend too much time under the desk, haha :)

RealtekRTL8111.kext.zip

I would have guessed so as the Intel driver is having the same problems. So the issue seems independent to the driver and network card currently in use. As this problem seems to be affecting real macs, too, it probably will get resolved quickly. Let's hope with 10.10.2.

Ok so I build the RehabMan source version 1.2.3. again for 10.9 and running it in yosemite. So far no connection issues anymore.

kext attached - anyone else can confirm having no more issues now?

As the problem is in Yosemite's network stack it can't be fixed by the driver. Your attached kext won't help.

Mieze

• Like 1

As the problem is in Yosemite's network stack it can't be fixed by the driver.

Mieze

I believe you but strangely I had no reconnection issue here now for 30 minutes...

// yes :) issues are back again. So I deleted my posting to not confuse people.

well, hmm same story here.  just compiled rehabman's version of the driver for target 10.10 and after playing a video with plex  - network hung in about 2 minutes. running 10.10.1.  (never had any problems on Mavericks with either driver)

so 3 different 8111 drivers (mieze, rehabman, slice) all have issues on 10.10.1 for me. however, luckily my (new) ASIX usb3/ethernet is working ok on 10.10.1. 

card details: Realtek 8168/8101E Gigabit Ethernet:

Name: ethernet

Type: Ethernet

Bus: PCI

Slot: Ethernet

Vendor ID: 0x10ec

Device ID: 0x8168

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1458

Subsystem ID: 0xe000

Revision ID: 0x0006

Link Width: x1

BSD name: en0

well ... good news seems to be coming (or here) with 10.10.2. i just installed the 10.10.2 seed and both Rehabman's (1.2.3) version and Slice's version (3.1.3) seem to be stable once again. obviously, i have not done a lot of testing.... but it played a video for about 25 minutes and then I switched drivers. Where as, when on 10.10.1 streaming the same video and in 5-10 minutes it hangs. 

• Like 1

@tluck: Do you know if the 10.2 IONetworkfam has the same kext (version or bytes) then in 10.1.? Maybe we should try to use the newer version if there is any to fix the error until Apple drops the official release. (If it is kext related and not a bug in some framework of course)

Thanks for the upload :) So far it seems to do the trick.

Kept the 10.10. compiled driver, loaded 10.2 IONetwork kext and so far I had no disconnect issues, WOL, VNC working, also up after hibernate/sleep. However, I still have to test streaming and heavy load. Looking good :) :)

Ok, confirmed to be fixed, no issues after several hours :)

As Yosemite shows the same weakness with network drivers provided by Apple, the problem can't be fixed this way but reinstalling the driver might have mitigated the issue because it triggers an update of the internal network configuration files. You might be lucky, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Mieze

As Yosemite shows the same weakness with network drivers provided by Apple, the problem can't be fixed this way but reinstalling the driver might have mitigated the issue because it triggers an update of the internal network configuration files. You might be lucky, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Mieze

I think they are installing networking bits from 10.10.2(DP). It is possible Apple is fixing networking issues in the update...

Hi, Mieze!

I have notebook with RTL8139\8101E, but i can't get working it on mac os.

i have tried a lot of kexts. AppleRTL8169.kext fails device probe and do nothing. R1000SL.kext recognizes card, but it says "cable not connected" in system settings.

Your kext runs (after adding devid to Info.plist), it recognizes cable and gets DHCP settings, but when i try to ping google dns or primary gateway it fails and says, that connection timeout. This network card works well on windows.

Here is kernel log from debug version of your last build.

ethernet.txt

Just realised that copying files from my mac to my android tablet over FTP is very slow using this driver. I barely get 1 MB/s. Its a bit faster copying from the tablet to the mac.

Using the driver from realtek's site, I get around 7 MB/s

Hi, Mieze!

I have notebook with RTL8139\8101E, but i can't get working it on mac os.

i have tried a lot of kexts. AppleRTL8169.kext fails device probe and do nothing. R1000SL.kext recognizes card, but it says "cable not connected" in system settings.

Your kext runs (after adding devid to Info.plist), it recognizes cable and gets DHCP settings, but when i try to ping google dns or primary gateway it fails and says, that connection timeout. This network card works well on windows.

Here is kernel log from debug version of your last build.

The driver doesn't support RTL8139\8101E NIC. You are definitely using the wrong driver.

Mieze

Just realised that copying files from my mac to my android tablet over FTP is very slow using this driver. I barely get 1 MB/s. Its a bit faster copying from the tablet to the mac.

An Android tablet with an ethernet port? I'm not sure if this is really a driver issue? Badly configured devices sometimes have problems with TSO. You might try to disable it in the driver's Info.plist.

Mieze

• Like 1

The driver doesn't support RTL8139\8101E NIC. You are definitely using the wrong driver.

Mieze

An Android tablet with an ethernet port? I'm not sure if this is really a driver issue? Badly configured devices sometimes have problems with TSO. You might try to disable it in the driver's Info.plist.

Mieze

No, android tablet connected via wifi to home network with Mac OS set as FTP server.

Mac -> Android = slow

Android -> Mac = fast 

Using Realtek's driver, I get faster speed in both directions!! interrupt mitigation maybe? 

Can you post the link to the driver? I can only get to a page of outdated drivers.

Although my installed kext is working, it also seems to be pretty slow when trying to stream videos via network. 

Can you post the link to the driver? I can only get to a page of outdated drivers.

Although my installed kext is working, it also seems to be pretty slow when trying to stream videos via network. 

I'm using the driver from here:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Old but working very well for me.

• Like 1

Yea, something us definitely wrong. I used LAN Speed Test and found that writing to and from PCs I would get approx 85 MB/s writing and 90 Mbs/sec reading.

From Mac to PC it was 3 Mbs/sec writing, but still 90 Mbs/sec reading.

I am used both the original IONetworking kext and the one I download from here which I assume is the one from 10.10.2

Yea, something us definitely wrong. I used LAN Speed Test and found that writing to and from PCs I would get approx 85 MB/s writing and 90 Mbs/sec reading.

From Mac to PC it was 3 Mbs/sec writing, but still 90 Mbs/sec reading.

I am used both the original IONetworking kext and the one I download from here which I assume is the one from 10.10.2

You might try my version: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Realtek-Network

When experiencing performance issues, there are a few facts you should know:

1. When there is a performance asymmetry between write and read speed (read is much faster than write), this is usually a problem with TSO. You might want to disable TSO on the Mac or fix the configuration of the station on the other end (increase the TCP buffer size or the number of RSS queues). Another reason for TSO related problems could be packet loss or high latency values (in particular when using Wifi).
  2. With gigabit connections the interrupt mitigate value might also be a reason for performance problems. Try to set it to 24401 (=0x5f51) and see if it helps.
  3. Try to disable EEE as compatibility issues between the NIC and the switch might degrade network performance too.

Mieze

• Like 1