New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

Just wondering if you have any plan to support rtl8101e in future? The official one is quite buggy....

Sorry, no, because the RTL8101e is a Fast Ethernet NIC which is not supported by the underlying linux driver.

Mieze

RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S/8168/8111/8101E

jumbo frames

- http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/dev/re/if_re.c?view=markup

Sorry, no, there will be no support for jumbo frames unless Realtek makes better hardware. As the transmitter doesn't support checksum calculation for jumbo frames it makes no sense to add support for jumbo frames because checksum calculation would have to be done by the CPU.

Mieze

Sorry, no, there will be no support for jumbo frames unless Realtek makes better hardware. As the transmitter doesn't support checksum calculation for jumbo frames it makes no sense to add support for jumbo frames because checksum calculation would have to be done by the CPU.

Mieze

Even when the system as CPU cycles to spare? would it improve network performance on high performance systems?

Thanks,

g\

Even when the system as CPU cycles to spare? would it improve network performance on high performance systems?

Thanks,

g\

Checksum calculation by the CPU causes cache churning, which seriously degrades system performance. You should keep in mind that when the NIC is sending at full speed more than 100MB/sec would get loaded into the CPU cache preempting other entries which results in a slowdown of all running processes. As the packets are outbound the data won't be used again.

By the way, the network throughput gain with jumbo frames is minimal, only a few percent which makes it a bad deal taking all the disadvantages into account.

Mieze

• Like 1

Hi Mieze, do you plan to support the Realtek 8105E ? The official driver support only 10Mbps , when i switch to 100 i loose the connection, the windows and linux driver are working perfectly

No, because this is a FE NIC which isn't supported by the underlying linux driver. Sorry!

Mieze

I need U help.

I have installed Ln2x.Realtek RTL81xx kext in IONetworkingFamily.kext in Extra

I don't have a worked wifi module..

So, I delete then and install this insanelymac.realtek 8111. kext... 

My network LAN is work, as before, but wifi not work!.

In system settings I try to use Network assistant, but I can add new connection only with Ethernet .. and "other", and point WIFI is not active...

Ethernet with LAN work's good, but I need wifi too! HELP ME!

Lenovo B570e, i3, Realtek RTL8168/8111, Wifi work under windows!

Hello pro7,

your post doesn't make clear if wifi worked before you installed my driver?

Mieze

No. Wifi not work before and not work with U driver!

(Wifi work without U driver (something else) on Mac ox 10.8... but.... )

No. Wifi not work before and not work with U driver!

(Wifi work without U driver (something else) on Mac ox 10.8... but.... )

This driver, RealtekRTL8111.kext, is not for WiFi. It is for Ethernet.

• Like 1

So, how can I enable wifi on my hackintosh? 

Help, guys!

No one can say without knowing what WiFi hardware is in your computer. And this is not the appropriate thread to ask.

• Like 1

Hi,

I now tried a lot of different things but currently only the Ethernet adapter gets recognized by the system but getting an IP via DHCP is not possible and also setting it by myself doesn't get me to the network.

Thanks

Ian

Hi,

I now tried a lot of different things but currently only the Ethernet adapter gets recognized by the system but getting an IP via DHCP is not possible and also setting it by myself doesn't get me to the network.

Thanks

Ian

Please send me your kernel logs as a starting point to search for errors.

Mieze

Just updated to Mavericks 1.9.1 and the driver seems to work perfectly well still.

One question, should I not get 1000 Mbit/s with a gigabit network?

Yes, you should but sometimes auto negotiation fails or some component (switch, cable, etc.) prevents 1000 MBit/s connections to be established. Try to set connection speed manually.

Mieze