New Driver for Realtek RTL8111

Mieze
1,592 posts in this topic

Finally, I can connect to and from Win7 and connect FROM WinXP to my hackintosh. I still can't quite connect from my hackintosh TO WinXP but that is okay! Everything else working great.

Was using Lnx2Mac v.9 until now.

Thanks!

Finally, I can connect to and from Win7 and connect FROM WinXP to my hackintosh. I still can't quite connect from my hackintosh TO WinXP but that is okay! Everything else working great.

Try to disable the QoS Packet Scheduler for the network interface on the XP machine because it seems to cause trouble with Apple's implementation of the SMB protocol stack.

Mieze

Hello - I experienced some trouble with the driver today in Mavericks 10.9.

I am transferring a file to a Mackbook PRO from my Hackintosh using the RTL 8111 chipset on Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard.

I attempted to transfer a 15.6G file from the Hackintosh to the Macbook using the Finder on the Hackintosh. The transfer aborted itself after about 9MB transferred and I lost all network access even though the Ethernet device still showed active and ifconfig still showed configuration.

I even attempted to ping another local node by IP and I was unable to do so. 

After a reboot I decided to grab the file using finder on the macbook and the transfer appears to be successful...

Any ideas or information I can try to produce? I will attempt it again and see if I get the same failure.

Thanks,

~Staypuft

Hello - I experienced some trouble with the driver today in Mavericks 10.9.

I am transferring a file to a Mackbook PRO from my Hackintosh using the RTL 8111 chipset on Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard.

I attempted to transfer a 15.6G file from the Hackintosh to the Macbook using the Finder on the Hackintosh. The transfer aborted itself after about 9MB transferred and I lost all network access even though the Ethernet device still showed active and ifconfig still showed configuration.

I even attempted to ping another local node by IP and I was unable to do so. 

After a reboot I decided to grab the file using finder on the macbook and the transfer appears to be successful...

Any ideas or information I can try to produce? I will attempt it again and see if I get the same failure.

Please post your kernel logs!

Have you verified that the file on the MacBook is intact? In case that it is intact this would mean that the transfer completed successfully anyway which would rule out a driver issue.

Mieze

Edited by Mieze

I have a strange issue with SMB2 in mavericks. I cannot login using Android (any file manager with SMB).

The android file manager says username or password not found or invalid. 

OS X console displays the following repeatedly:

digest-service[68]: label: default
digest-service[68]: dbname: od:/Local/Default
digest-service[68]: mkey_file: /var/db/krb5kdc/m-key
digest-service[68]: acl_file: /var/db/krb5kdc/kadmind.acl
digest-service[68]: digest-request: uid=0
digest-service[68]: digest-request: netr probe 0
digest-service[68]: digest-request: init request
digest-service[68]: digest-request: init return domain: BUILTIN server: HURTS-MAC-PRO indomain was: <NULL>

mac-to-hack transfers are working perfectly though!!

I'm sorry, but this is clearly not a driver issue making it the wrong thread to ask for support.

Mieze

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently preparing version 1.1.3 which will include a slight optimization of packet transmission so that CPU load will be reduced. Low end systems like those with an Atom or a Core 2 duo might also see a speed bump.

Over the Christmas holidays I plan to update the code base to Realtek's latest linux sources (8.0.37) which will add support for a few more family members of their gigabit NICs and hopefully eliminate some of the known issues. I'm also planing to add support for TCP/IPv6 Segmentation Offload in the near future.

While studying their source code I discovered a significant change with regard to the RTL8111DP. Therefore I would like to know if there is anybody with access to a board with this NIC who is willing to run some tests under Mountain Lion and/or Mavericks with version 1.1.2 and a new beta of version 1.1.3 which I'll post here in this thread soon?

Mieze

• Like 3

i have Realtek RTL8111/8168B and its using the vanilla AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext located in IONetworkFamily.kext.  i recently noticed that itunes wont see my airport express and apple tv unless i have the wifi turned on.  would this kext fix for wired?  also if i install it in S/L/E do i have to remove IONetworkFamily.kext? sorry if this is old news to ppl but i already got a kp trying some of the older realtek kexts in E/E, so just want to dbl check before i do anything.

while researching this forum the problem seems to be bonjour??  but then i dont understand why does all work fine with the wifi?  btw i don't see promisc when i do ifconfig for either interface eth0 (wired) and eth1 (wireless)

i have Realtek RTL8111/8168B and its using the vanilla AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext located in IONetworkFamily.kext.  i recently noticed that itunes wont see my airport express and apple tv unless i have the wifi turned on.  would this kext fix for wired?  also if i install it in S/L/E do i have to remove IONetworkFamily.kext? sorry if this is old news to ppl but i already got a kp trying some of the older realtek kexts in E/E, so just want to dbl check before i do anything.

while researching this forum the problem seems to be bonjour??  but then i dont understand why does all work fine with the wifi?  btw i don't see promisc when i do ifconfig for either interface eth0 (wired) and eth1 (wireless)

Remove only AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from IONetworkFamily.kext because the rest of the kext is vital for my driver. Next install the driver in /S/L/E as described earlier in this thread. Bonjour works fine with the driver.

Mieze

I'm currently preparing version 1.1.3

While studying their source code I discovered a significant change with regard to the RTL8111DP. Therefore I would like to know if there is anybody with access to a board with this NIC who is willing to run some tests under Mountain Lion and/or Mavericks with version 1.1.2 and a new beta of version 1.1.3 which I'll post here in this thread soon?

Hi!

Please tell me, support RTL8411BA planned?

This chipset consists of a Realtek Gigabit NIC, with Card Reader Controller:

http://www.realtek.com/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=3&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=321

This adapter is installed on my laptop Acer V5-572G.

lspci:

04:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 14)

Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:0798]

bootlog:

Ethernet [RealtekRTL8111]: Warning: PCIe ASPM enabled.

Ethernet [RealtekRTL8111]: EEE support enabled.

Ethernet [RealtekRTL8111]: TCP/IPv4 segmentation offload enabled.

Ethernet [RealtekRTL8111]: TCP/IPv6 checksum offload enabled.

Ethernet [RealtekRTL8111]: Using interrupt mitigate value 0xcf68.

unknown chip version (5c800000)

Ethernet [RealtekRTL8111]: RTL8168B/8111B: (Chipset 0) at 0xffffff810048e000, 8:9e: 1:b6:ed:6e

When using the current driver v1.1.2, the adapter can not get IP adress...

If you need more logs, it is ready to provide them.

Also agree to participate in the beta testing v1.1.3.

Version 1.1.3 is based on Realtek's linux driver version 8.035.00 which doesn't provide support for the RTL8411. I'm planning to integrate Realtek's latest sources (version 8.037.00 with support for the RTL8411) over the Christmas holidays.

Mieze

• Like 2

I've managed to finish version 1.1.3 of the driver. The attached archive contains the source code. Here is the list of changes:

• Thanks to an improved transmit queue handling I was able to optimize packet transmission slightly. While high end systems will only show a small drop of CPU load under heavy load  (< 5%), you might also see a significant speed bump on low end machines (Atom, Core 2 duo).
  • The RTL8111E-VL (other family members might be affected too ) seems to be prone to lose transmitter interrupts. Although this is not a problem under load it might eventually result in false positives when trying to detect transmitter deadlocks. In order to avoid unnecessary chip resets I modified the deadlock detection logic to cope with this situation.
As I will make the attached code the official version 1.1.3 next week, provided that nobody finds any serious bugs in it, everybody is encouraged to test it.

Mieze

PS: In order to make testing a little bit easier I decided to attach a binary of the 1.1.3 release candidate too.

RealtekRTL8111-V1.1.3-RC1.zip

RealtekRTL8111.kext.zip

• Like 5

Remove only AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from IONetworkFamily.kext because the rest of the kext is vital for my driver. Next install the driver in /S/L/E as described earlier in this thread. Bonjour works fine with the driver.

Mieze

I sent the 8169 kext to the trash, updated bootcache, removed ethernet, restarted, installed version 1.1.2 using a kext installer that i've always used, toggling s/l/e instead of /e/e, reboot, go to add interface and there are three new options - pppoe, vpn, and '6 to 4'.  Am I getting close here?  Still not seeing my router.

edit - kext not supported on SL will re-read thread to see if any alternative, going to try this on Mavericks next week

I sent the 8169 kext to the trash, updated bootcache, removed ethernet, restarted, installed version 1.1.2 using a kext installer that i've always used, toggling s/l/e instead of /e/e, reboot, go to add interface and there are three new options - pppoe, vpn, and '6 to 4'.  Am I getting close here?  Still not seeing my router.

Before when I would click add interface the only option would be the airport and another simply called 'ethernet', which when I picked would dhcp automatically and have me up and running.

Please post your kernel logs and a IOReg dump.

Mieze

Just tried RehabMan's modded kext on my 10.6.8 laptop and works like a charm.  Yaay bonjour!  AirParrot is now useable for video in low quality mode and I can stop using my wireless nic for airplay!  haven't tested wol as I dont have sleep enabled in my dsdt right now, but may go back to that for clamshell mode.

Thanks Mieze and Rehabman for your efforts!

@Mieze

I've been using 1.1.3 for a day. I haven't encountered any big issue for me so far.

Speed test with RT-N66U SMB:

1.1.2:

bDQ11cf.png

1.1.3:

bHYk5Vp.png

I've noticed there is a SMB connection issue under OS X since I bought RT-N66U three months ago.

I'm using TomatoUSB 1.28 by shibby. Sometimes my computer does not connect to RT-N66U's SMB:

KpzH4lN.png    U0ORKa4.png

I can always see my RT-N66U's SMB volume under Windows, so I'm not sure if this is the driver's problem or OSX's fault.

@Mieze

I've been using 1.1.3 for a day. I don't see any no big issue for me so far.

Speed test with RT-N66U SMB:

1.1.2:

1.1.3:

I've noticed there is a SMB connection issue under OS X since I bought RT-N66U three months ago.

I'm using TomatoUSB 1.28 by shibby. Sometimes my computer does not connect to RT-N66U's SMB:

I can always see my RT-N66U's SMB volume under Windows, so I'm not sure if this is the driver's problem or OSX's fault.

Thanks for the test! In fact it's not a driver issue, it's a problem of OS X's SMB implementation which seems to be fundamentally flawed. I ran a lot of tests with SMB last summer and can confirm that some configurations deliver extremely bad performance, an unstable connection or refuse to connect at all not only with my driver but also with Apple's Broadcom driver on a 2011 iMac or Mac mini. One user also reported that Mavericks SMB implementation seems to work only with OS X and Windows peers.

Mieze

• Like 1

anyone seeing any problems with a random dropped connection after constant network load? i.e. initial timemachine backup

seems under high load it'll randomly lose network connection, pulling the cable and plugging it in again seems to reconnect but all local shares time out and need to be reconnected

used a few versions of the drivers here as well as lnx2mac's drivers and all seem to have the same problem

network consist of a realtek 8111f on a p8h77-i motherboard running 10.8.4 into a 16port netgear prosafe switch and the server is running 10.9server to host timemachine

seems to only happen to my machine in particular so it's not the server which is at fault

any ideas?

anyone seeing any problems with a random dropped connection after constant network load? i.e. initial timemachine backup

seems under high load it'll randomly lose network connection, pulling the cable and plugging it in again seems to reconnect but all local shares time out and need to be reconnected

used a few versions of the drivers here as well as lnx2mac's drivers and all seem to have the same problem

network consist of a realtek 8111f on a p8h77-i motherboard running 10.8.4 into a 16port netgear prosafe switch and the server is running 10.9server to host timemachine

seems to only happen to my machine in particular so it's not the server which is at fault

any ideas?

I'm suspecting Netgear ProSafe is the problem. I have seen this before and it was also with Netgear switch. Try different switch if possible.

any ideas?

As it happens with both drivers I would suspect a hardware issue too. Please send me you kernel logs so that I can take a took at it. Maybe there is something interesting in it.

Mieze

Hi,

I'm unable to get WoL working and am not sure where to start debugging.

I have a Asus p8z68-m pro motherboard with the latest bios. I have Power On by PCI and Power On by PCI-E Enabled in the bios. I have Realtek PXE OPROM disabled (and it doesn't make a difference if I enable it as well, except that there is a 3sec delay at boot).

I have "Wake on Ethernet access" checked in Energy Saver and am using the latest version of your driver 1.1.3.

I put my hackintosh to sleep from the menu item and then tried sending a WoL packet using the wol and etherwake tools from my Openwrt router. I know I specified the right mac address, but the system does not respond at all. It continues to sleep until I press the power button or press a key on my usb keyboard.

Can you advise on whether I'm missing something or where I can start troubleshooting? I guess one way would be to check if this works on another OS but Windows isn't an option. I can try a usb linux distro or something, I suppose.

Thanks,

/vv