Working ATI cards with AMD and Mountain Lion/Lion 64-bit

18 posts in this topic

Post here your ATI working card. Only cards that remain usable, with minor to no glitches, with either Lion 64-bit or Mountain Lion. nVidia suggestions, Intel or Snow Leopard/Lion 32-bit will be deleted without previous notification. Counting on you, guys! This topic will help AMD users to weight better their options facing an upgrade to Mountain Lion or to the 64-bit version of Lion, since graphics is a very important issue to be considered, specially with OSX.

Important: please post the exact model of your card, preferentially with the device ID. Sometimes a slightly different version of the same model won't work the same way, as you can see here, starting with post #92: http://www.insanelym...80#entry1901192

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, c'mon: this topic is crucial for someone looking to run Lion 64-bit/Mountain Lion on his/her AMD machine. Let's help the newcomers!

Please use the format below as a model. It's an update of my card's current status with Mountain Lion/Lion 10.7.5 64-bit:

Card: Saphire HD5450 Silent 1024MB

Device ID: 0x68F91002

Ports: DVI - HDMI - VGA (from left to right): only HDMI tested

System: 10.8.3, 10.7.5 (both 32-bit and 64-bit)

Performance: Works with minor to no glitches in Chrome and with expected performance with many games tested with maxed settings, including Bioshock, Galaxy on Fire, Crow and Amnesia. Benchmark results inside the range expected from the card. Full screen apps, videos and flash movies work with no glitches at all. DVD player complais about no recognized device. Safari heavily corrupted, unusable. HDMI audio working with DSDT, an AppleHDA kext made by Mirone, PCIRootUID=0 and GraphicsEnabler=No. Wake from sleep works.

Method to get it working: injected my device id 0x68F91002 inside the AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext and Ati5000Controller.kext (under Cedar). For sleep and HDMI audio to be properly working, it's important to boot with GraphicsEnabler=No, PCIRootUID=0, to have a working and loaded AppleHDA and to have DSDT edits for HDEF and HDMI audio.

Card: Sapphire HD 4850 1024MB 75hz/85hz /no 60hz

Device ID: 0x94421002

Ports: DVI / HDMI / VGA

Performance: Red pixel bug in Cinebench 11.5. QuickTime and VLC work fine. For gaming, it is not working, as well as Unigine-Heaven benchmark.

Method to get it working: device id 0x94421002 in ATI4800Controller.kext/info.plist

;)

• Like 1

Card: XFX HD4890 1024MB (standard, not X.X.X version)

Device ID: 0x1002 0x9460 i think?

Ports: DVI - S-Video - DVI (from left to right): S-Video doesn't work

System: 10.8.2, 10.8 (dp1),10.7.4 10.7.3 (64-bit) :)

Performance: NO GLITCHES AT ALL

at the osx versions i tried.

Method to get it working:

-Installed Exotic patch for qe/ci

- HDAenabler for HDMI audio

• Like 1

Card: Powercolor Radeon HD 6570

Device ID: Unknown (I no longer have this setup), not needed

Ports: DVI - HDMI - VGA, only VGA tested

System: 10.8.2, 10.7.5 (64-bit)

Performance: Works with minor to no glitches in Chrome. Safari, Notification Center, and a few others are unusable on 10.8.x. No glitches at all in 10.7.5 or 10.7.2 with ATY_Init.

Method to get it working: Move the ATI6000Controller.kext out of /System/Library/Extensions on the USB stick, install Mountain Lion.

boot the installed system (without graphics support) and reinstall the kext.

If this is not done, white screen on boot.

• Like 1

Card: ATI FirePro V4900

Device ID: 0x67491002

Ports: 1 DVI, 2 Standard DisplayPort, HDMI (HDMI not tested yet, need to find best audio kext solution)

System: 10.7.5 - 64-bit, Bronzovka 11.4.2 kernel and RC 10

Performance: Works with Safari, Grab, Preview, iCal, etc. The CineBench red pixel problem prevents OpenGL test execution. The CPU test runs though. Wake from monitor sleep works.

Method to get it working: Injected my device id, vendor id combination 0x67491002 inside the ATI6000Controller.kext prior to installing Lion 10.7.5 with 2187 Chameleon. GraphicsEnabler=No, PCIRootUID=0. no mods to AppleHDA or DSDT - HDEF, DSDT - HDMI yet. After completing the initial screens for a new OS X install, some basic details, reboot, and the resolution settings are in the System Preferences | Displays. Driving two monitors (1 DVI, 1 DisplayPort to DVI adapter). Both monitors are running per resolution and refresh rate settings, screen saver, and wake from monitor sleep.

• Like 1

Card: XFX HD4890 1024MB (standard, not X.X.X version)

Device ID: Unknown

Ports: 2x DVI, S-Video (DVI Works, haven't tried s-video

System: 10.7.5, 10.8.3 (iATKOS L2 and ML2 with AMD kernel)

Performance: No glitches except when using Google Chrome. Chrome pages occasionally become corrupted but that's easily fixed. It could also be a Chrome issue, not a GPU issue. Video playback is fine using VLC. I haven't tried any games other than Nimble Quest (it was a fast download) but that works fine. Will be trying with WoW later.

Method to get it working:

-Installed Exotic patch for qe/ci

• Like 1

Card: Asus HD5450 (Silent) 1024MB

Ports: DVI - HDMI - VGA (from left to right): HDMI & VGA Tested

System: 10.8.3 64bit

Performance: Good performance can handle 1080p videos and all ui animations are smooth just working on trying to get rid of artifacts and solve the jumbled or missing text.

Method to get it working:Downloaded special kexts for my device with already injected device id but you can do by injecting device id 0x68F91002 inside the AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext and Ati5000Controller.kext (under Cedar) if you have the same device id. .

• Like 1

Card: Sapphire HD 5450 1024MB

Ports: 1 DVI, 1 VGA, 1 HDMI (HDMI for Toshiba TV, VGA for Monitor, DVI for nothing (doesn't work on my system). Multidisplay is OK

System: 10.7.5 - 64-bit, Bronzovka kernel RC 12

Performance: Works with everything but CineBench I didn't test yet. Chrome makes artifacts sometimes but not a big problem. Wake from monitor sleep works. Single problem on me is audio. First 2-3 seconds of any audio makes stuttering after that no problem. Sound comes from coax or spdif.

Method to get it working: Injected my device id, vendor id combination 0x68F91002 inside the ATi5000controller.kext and ATiReadeonx3000.kext installing Lion 10.7.5 with 2189 Chameleon. GraphicsEnabler=yes, AtiConfig=Zonalis, arch=i386, AtiPorts=3. no mods to AppleHDA or DSDT - HDEF, DSDT - HDMI yet. If you have AppleEFIRuntıme.kext+Latest Cheamaleon+i386 bug(In this case KP), install chimera 2.1 reboot and install Cheamaleon latest SVN. It will be fix this bug.

Card: Sapphire HD 5450 1024MB

Device ID: 0x68E11002 ( Flashed to 0x68F91002 )

Ports: 1x DVI, 1x VGA, 1x HDMI

System: 10.7.5 ( Bronzovka Kernel ) 10.8.3 ( Andy's Kernel )

Performance:

ML: Working with minimum graphics glitches. Full screen apps work. QuickTime and VLC work. All ports work and tested DVI and VGA with dual screen which works great. System wakes from sleep unless its left for some time.

Lion: Works 100%. No errors and everything works.

Method to get it working: Flashed card BIOS with atflash from DOS USB drive using theconnactics bios file. Added device ID's to ATI5000Controller.kext and

AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext Using latest Chameleon trunk revision with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. HDMI Audio works with VoodooHDA.

Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 17.50.07.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't updated my profile yet.

Lion 10.7.5 updated from iatkos Lion 10.7.1.

I am using an ATI Radeon HD 4350.

The Chameleon revision has updated it's list of graphics cards, and the 4350 gets reported as a 4600

from System Profiler:

ATI Radeon HD 4600:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4600

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x954f

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

M260VA:

Resolution: 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number:

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Acer AL1914:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Display Serial Number: ETL2302204

I have discovered that I need to have the ATI4350.fix.kexts in /E/E in order for this ATI card to give me this.

• Like 1

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.2 (11C74)

Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2

Boot Volume: New 10G Vol

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: pete’s Home-Made-Mac

User Name: pete (pete)

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

Time since boot: 27 minutes

The above was before. I reinstalled onto a 20G ATA IDE drive ( it was a 10G IDE drive). Below is the current as of May 7, 2013:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)

Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2

Boot Volume: MAC20G

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: pete’s Mac Pro

User Name: pete (pete)

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

Time since boot: 5:05

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mountain Lion is installed. My ati video card is no longer recognised, so I am hunting for ways to run a RadeonHD 4350 card in ML.

Thinking about dropping back to Lion 10.7.5 so I will have all that back.

Plus 2gigs of memory is not enough anymore, it would seem.

Gotta get more memory.

• Like 1

Video card is an ATI Radeon HD 4350 Controller reports: ATI RV730 (vendor ID: 1002, device ID: aa38)

and also ATI SB600 (vendor ID: 1002, device ID: 4383)

the second is sound output, I think.

SystemInformation reports:

ATI Radeon HD 4600:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4600

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x954f

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

M260VA:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Display Serial Number:

Main Display: Yes

Interlaced: Yes

Television: Yes

Acer AL1914:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Display Serial Number: ETL2302204

• 11 months later...

Card: XFX Radeon HD 6450 2GB

Computer: Mac Pro 3GHz 2xDual Core Xeon (Mac Pro 1,1)
Device ID: ????
Ports: DVI - HDMI - VGA 
System: 10.7.5
Method to get it working: Just plugged it in to PCIe bay 1.  At first Mac Pro was sluggish, like it was freezing, and thought there were to displays connected.  Removed original nVidia card, rebooted and everything is working properly.  System profiler recogonizes video card properly and shows full 2GB of memory.  No EFI boot.  Will be upgrading OSX and will update this post to include missing data and test results. 

• Like 1