GenericUSBXHCI USB 3.0 driver for OS X with source

928 posts in this topic

Hi,

sorry for my ignorance: I had genericusb running on a genuine mac pro. Now, since I installed 10.10.3 today it does no longer work. I tried to put that apple usb kext into /System/Library/Extensions but got an incorrect installation message.

Well, is there a separate patch tool to apply the changes to the file - it seems that clover does not do that. Also, I sort of suspect that he patches llnked here deal with functionality inside the code but not with version mismatches.

• 2 weeks later...

You use this kext with the right boot arguments?

Let's see.

Some kernel flags

- "-gux_nosleep" forces Sleep to always use the shudown/reset method.

- "-gux_nomsi" forces use of pin interrupt instead of msi.

- For Intel Series 7 chipset only (Panther Point.)

"-gux_defer_usb2" causes the xHC to defer the management of USB2 ports and their devices to one of the EHC controllers on the PCH (south-bridge). This option can usually also be configured in the BIOS for Intel Series 7 chipsets.

"-gux_no_idle" disables some feature for idle-mode on Intel's chip. I couldn't test this, so I added an option to disable it.

- I don't think, that "-gux_nosleep" is for me, because I don't have any problem with sleep.

- "-gux_nomsi" is not either, because I don't have any usb device on PCI express >2.2 bus.

- The rest won't do it for me, as I don't have Intel chipset.

Any idea or any other boot flags?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am using the latest build of Clover with 10.9.5 on an Asus X99 Deluxe board. I've installed GenericUSBXHCI.kext 1.2.7 because I was told it was necessary for Fusion to load my Windows virtual machine. Without it, Windows would never finish booting - something about a very high number of interrupts, I believe.

However, with that kext installed, my USB audio interface (a Scarlett 2i2 which uses Coreaudio) loses audio output. iTunes or any audio application will still be 'playing,' but the audio will simply cut out. To fix it I have to unplug the audio interface and plug it back in again, at which point the issue will occur again, seemingly random. I've looked through the Console output but there's nothing that would point to the issue.

If I remove the kext, I have full USB3.0 speeds, but then of course I can't launch my virtual machine. Any help? I have some USB options in the BIOS, but I'm not sure if any of them would be helpful.

post-1360292-0-76280500-1432141809_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have a asm1042 usb3.0 motherboard, with GenericUsbXhci the usb3.0 port work great and with -gux_nosleep the sleep work good.

I have only a problem: when i wake osx the usb3.0 port no longer work.... i need to physically change the port! Reboot or unplug/plug not help, only method for restore the usb3.0 is swap the port (i have two usb ports). Suggestions?

I have fully worked Yosemite 10.10.3 system installed on hardware from signature. But there is one annoying nuance.

My system wakes up immediately after going to sleep. I like to find out why.

I used syslog |grep -i "Wake reason" in Terminal to find out why

Terminal said:

Jun 19 04:20:22 xxx-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: PXSX PXSX

As I understood after Googling PXSX is USB 3.0. I'm using GenericUSBXHCI.kext to get work my ASMedia1042 USB3.0 Controller. As I know this is the only kext that make ASM1042 work, but cause my system wake up immediately from sleep. 
Please help me to fix that!

Try remove this methods on your DSDT:

Device (PXSX)            {
                Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
                Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)  // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake
                {
                    0x09, 
                    0x03
                })

Try remove this methods on your DSDT:

Device (PXSX)            {
                Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
                Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)  // _PRW: Power Resources for Wake
                {
                    0x09, 
                    0x03
                })

I have 17 references to PXSX in my DSDT that looks like https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5dcpxxax20qddg/Screenshot%202015-06-19%2006.28.26.png?dl=0

Tried to remove selected blocks everywhere https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dvviz7ybs09dgg/Screenshot%202015-06-19%2006.52.32.png?dl=0

but no success, system wakes up immediately after going to sleep.

Now Terminal says: kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: pci1b21,1042 pci1b21,1042

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgf339ur4mih05b/Screenshot%202015-06-19%2007.10.05.png?dl=0

what exactly I need to remove?

Here is my DSDT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv7x2l967ymi9cs/DSDT-3.aml?dl=0

& xhcdump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ad7zpyevxq6vzx/xhcdump.txt?dl=0

I have 17 references to PXSX in my DSDT that looks like https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5dcpxxax20qddg/Screenshot%202015-06-19%2006.28.26.png?dl=0

Tried to remove selected blocks everywhere https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dvviz7ybs09dgg/Screenshot%202015-06-19%2006.52.32.png?dl=0

but no success, system wakes up immediately after going to sleep.

Now Terminal says: kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: pci1b21,1042 pci1b21,1042

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgf339ur4mih05b/Screenshot%202015-06-19%2007.10.05.png?dl=0

what exactly I need to remove?

Here is my DSDT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv7x2l967ymi9cs/DSDT-3.aml?dl=0

& xhcdump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ad7zpyevxq6vzx/xhcdump.txt?dl=0

Simply add -gux_nosleep in the kernel flag not help you?

Simply add -gux_nosleep in the kernel flag not help you?

Yes, it helps but after waking up system says that Disk that was attached to USB 3.0 "Not Ejected Properly"

I worry about damaging the data on my external drives.

Yes, it helps but after waking up system says that Disk that was attached to USB 3.0 "Not Ejected Properly"

I worry about damaging the data on my external drives.

I have the same problem, the only solution is eject before sleep.

Your usb device continue to work after the sleep? I need to change port....

Want to mention this Generic driver (from sourceforge, not patched) works with my SYBA SD-PEX50055 on my old hackintosh D975XBX running 10.10.  A 2TB iTank was mounted.  Unaccountably, my flash drives are not seen, not sure why USB2 not working on the SYBA but the USB2 ports on motherboard still work.

When I first booted, the pair of sata6 devices on the SYBA where shown, but the pair of USB3 did not show up.  I tried the Etron mac drivers for this board, but they didnt work on 10.10.  This generic usb works fine and sleep seems to working fine so far.

There are 40 pages in the thread and I didnt read thru all of them but perhaps there is a way for the generic to work with USB2 flash, it would be useful to me.

HTH someone

Try without gux_nosleep

Without gux_nosleep osx autowake after the sleep.... and another options not help  :( The problem is the same.

Is very strange... I power on the pc, at osx desktop i power-on my usb3 device... but not it appears on the desk. I unplug the usb cable from the port 1 and reinsert at the same port... and not work! If I plug the usb cable at the port 2... now work! If I sleep osx, when i wake it my usb disappers! Plug/unplug not work, if I plug the cable at port 1 all ok  :wacko:

Is not hardware problem, with windows work without a problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx. I had used those patches in the past till Zenith released his Generic USB3 kext which was much more elegant in usage than patching. But as everyone is finding out, that kext does not work with 10.10.

The patch you posted above does not work as it has bugs (missing </dict> and missing "Find"string).

I fixed those and and cleaned up and now works on the Acer notebook (which also has the nec 720200 chip).

I am on 10.10.3.

Attached is a section of my working "Kext-to-patch" for the USB3.0.

No issues with CPU performance or power management.

If the disk is attached to the usb3 port during sleep, then there's an error on wake (usual "You removed a usb device without first detaching") but reattaches it on wake and all looks OK.

Speed is good too (just like the Generic kext that used to work).

Only question is whether these patches work on the next update release ?

UPDATE:

Attached file updated to include binary patch for Mavericks AND Yosemite (as I dual boot). Having patches for both do no harm. If you only boot one OS then take out the patches for the OS you do not boot.

Hi There,

I'm very new to this. Can you direct me on how I can apply your patch in Yosemite (or point me to a link with instructions)? I downloaded Clover but couldn't figure out how to use it, the Wiki was not helpful to me (total newb). I've already installed the latest 10.10.2 version of AppleUSBXHCI.kext using Kext Utility. Thanks a million!

I have a Renesas D720202 Chip.

What do I do here in Clover? Do I check or uncheck "InfoPlistPatch" column? and do I have to save this somewhere? HELP! :S

post-1282361-0-47692500-1435636082_thumb.png

I add my gratitude and thanks to Zenith. This year I decided to revive my old Mac Pro 2.1 Dual Quad 3 Ghz and now have a HD 5870 ( also a MSI HD 5770 ) ( both with EFI DVI-VGA ) running on 10.9.5 flawlessly. I even found a used FireWIRE 400 card as my Apple FireWire mysteriously died.

Today here in Japan I bought a locally made AREA USB 3.0 card for ¥1,800, threw in Zenith's kext and ! Viola ! I now also have USB 3.0 up and running. This old MP still has a few more good years left in her.

I add Zenith to the honours list which includes Netkas and Tiamo. Thanks a million guys.

All I need to get tomorrow is a USB 3.0 HD dock and a genuine USB 3.0 cable. Total cost for all of these upgrades will be around US$ 150.

Next purchase will be a 4,1 MP with all the above goodies shoved in. Then I'll need to put my seatbelt on prior to bootup.

Cheers.

Without gux_nosleep osx autowake after the sleep.... and another options not help  :( The problem is the same.

Is very strange... I power on the pc, at osx desktop i power-on my usb3 device... but not it appears on the desk. I unplug the usb cable from the port 1 and reinsert at the same port... and not work! If I plug the usb cable at the port 2... now work! If I sleep osx, when i wake it my usb disappers! Plug/unplug not work, if I plug the cable at port 1 all ok  :wacko:

Is not hardware problem, with windows work without a problems.

You can try use DSDT path for USB3/2.