GenericUSBXHCI USB 3.0 driver for OS X with source

928 posts in this topic

Ok.

What version of OS X and GenericUSBXHCI are you using?

About USB3, you can use this boot arguments for help:

-gux_defer_usb2 -gux_no_idle

And try mark all this options in config.plist:

attachicon.gifUSB.png

Finally! i have been messing around with this for days. I went so far as to take apart my machine and move cards around. I booted into Windows to make sure tha card was working which it was. I tried every version of the kexts I could find.

Finally I settled on the Yosemite version and put a check mark next to all the USB settings in Clover and VOILA! Its works and works well. I can even plug my USB 3 hub into the card and it still works.

FYI, I have a Renesas uPD720200a version USB 3.0 card with 4.0.1.5 firmware.

• Like 1

Is this an older version? I think I already tried all of them, except you have a "special build" or something.

Or try add this patch in your USB3 entries in DSDT:

Hmm. Seems that this patch is not for my mobo. Where is it from?

For example, I have no devices called XHC1, my USB3 devices are named like PEX1, PEX2 and so on. So I think I won't try to adapt this, I also wouldn't know how to do it ...

Is not a "special build" but works for another guys.

This patch works with most of motherboards, but if you don't want use, try another patchs for USB3, maybe you can find in RampageDev's page.

If USB3 is that important then the best option is to just buy an addon card with a compatible chipset. Both of my boards have ASM1042 for USB3 and I have them somewhat working with the Oyen Digital driver and a DSDT edit.

Third-party drivers from the likes of CalDigit, LaCie and Oyen are designed for storage devices. So anything else like audio or mobile device syncing is likely to fail. I can charge my iPad fine but syncing fails. I tend to do that over WiFi anyway so no loss there. Similarly my Windows Phone won't sync in OS X if connected to a USB3 port but will with USB2. Again, not an issue for me as I just drag and drop my music to it in Windows.

So I have USB3 for iPad charging and storage devices, USB2 for everything else.

Riley, that almost sounds like you have similar problems with mobile devices. Yes, syncing is an issue. Funny thing is that here, syncing via iTunes (mostly) works with USB3, but if I want to sync my pictures using iPhoto I have to switch to USB2, devices are not recognized in iPhoto or Image Capture. Can you tell me how you did it using the Oyen driver? What DSDT Edit?

​And yes, unfortunately I need a whole army of reliable working mobile devices for my development work, including Android and Windows Phone devices, which also exhibit problems especially in USB debugging mode, sometimes I get a crash when only plugging in.

​USB2 is not an option, since charging support is not enough, and I do not want to change cables all the time. (also I have already a lot of devices hanging in the USB2 tree)

​Meanwhile, I also tried Shilohh's DSDT Edits (which are different than rampage devs, and also adress USB3), but no apparent changes in behavior. There is also a new upcoming USB3 driver with clover, but I doubt this will help in my case.

​So what to do? Which USB3 card can I use that _really_ works OOTB, with indentical support as a real mac? Does such a card exist at all?

Most mac's work with native intel USB 3.0 ports, something you will only have on a newer motherboard. So if you are unwilling to upgrade your platform your best bet is a fresco logic based add-in card. The new mac pro, which also lacks chipset USB 3.0 support uses the fresco logic chip and the native apple drivers work with FL1XXX based cards just like they do on the new mac pro-- and before you get all excited the new mac pro has more USB 3.0 issues than the other real macs that have native intel chips so if you are looking for a "perfect" USB 3.0, if it even exists, buy a new mac mini.

g\ 

• Like 1

Would be also interested in these .... depending on the chipset they support. Is that ASM1042?

​And after BOTH(!) my iPad and my iPhone were nearly bricked (I got a "Error: detected missing packet.") during iOS update, and only could be rescued using a "real" Mac, I am actually interested in ANY solution that's not GenericUSBXHCI. Let's face it, this kext SERIOUSLY needs some work, at least on my machine it is buggy, shaky and highly unreliable.

Any chance it will be further developed? Any idea what else I could do to finally solve my endless USB woes? is there any X79 Mobo with an USB3 chipset that is ​natively   supported in OSX? My impression is that as soon as you need an extra kext, you loose. And while I would totally hate it , maybe I even need an addiotinal card ...

​And finally, my reward offer is still valid! So I would be really really really happy about some help.

It appears to be a Fresco Logic 1100 chipset, so it would not help us here. Only Fresco Logic USB 3.0 is natively supported in OS X, as far as I am aware.

Riley, that almost sounds like you have similar problems with mobile devices. Yes, syncing is an issue. Funny thing is that here, syncing via iTunes (mostly) works with USB3, but if I want to sync my pictures using iPhoto I have to switch to USB2, devices are not recognized in iPhoto or Image Capture. Can you tell me how you did it using the Oyen driver? What DSDT Edit?

​And yes, unfortunately I need a whole army of reliable working mobile devices for my development work, including Android and Windows Phone devices, which also exhibit problems especially in USB debugging mode, sometimes I get a crash when only plugging in.

​USB2 is not an option, since charging support is not enough, and I do not want to change cables all the time. (also I have already a lot of devices hanging in the USB2 tree)

​Meanwhile, I also tried Shilohh's DSDT Edits (which are different than rampage devs, and also adress USB3), but no apparent changes in behavior. There is also a new upcoming USB3 driver with clover, but I doubt this will help in my case.

​So what to do? Which USB3 card can I use that _really_ works OOTB, with indentical support as a real mac? Does such a card exist at all?

Yes, and it is cheap. Works in 10.9.2+: Orico PFU3-4P PCI-e card (molex power required) It has the same Fresco Logic chipset as the nMP.

Uninstall GenericUSBxHCI otherwise it will run instead of the ApplexHCI driver and gimp performance.

I am not a mobile developer, so no idea about syncing or the host of minor (to me) issues that I never encounter. I can say that the FL chipsets allow me to use RAID'ed USB 3.0 arrays, which is more than I can say for GenericUSBxHCI.

Hi, people just want to share with you I'd success installing this card, and I would like to make a question for you:

GMYLE® ExpressCard 34mm to USB 3.0 Adapter (Dual Port)

at Macbook Pro 17 mid2010

with OS X Yosemite 10.10

(I didn't update yet for last ver. because I made a clean install)

First I installed this pkg:

CalDigit_USB3_Driver_10_10_X_1.4.4.pkg

But it doesn't function:

System report says ExpressCard driver is not installed

next I installed only this kext:

CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext ver.1.3.8

using 

Kext Drop.app ver.1.1

I didn't installed this kext that usually install together

CalDigitFastIO.kext  ver.2.6.1

Do you think I need to install it?

I'm not an expert and fear to mess it all.

I attached  my system report screenshot:

post-1485967-0-72715600-1423482817_thumb.png

iTunes sync tested and OK with 3 iDevices  AT REGULAR MACBOOK PORTS, NOT AT CARD 2 PORTS THAT EVEN CAN'T CHARGE THE IPAD.

File transferred from USB3 external hard drive with success and apparently fast than USB2 port

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Most mac's work with native intel USB 3.0 ports, something you will only have on a newer motherboard. So if you are unwilling to upgrade your platform your best bet is a fresco logic based add-in card. The new mac pro, which also lacks chipset USB 3.0 support uses the fresco logic chip and the native apple drivers work with FL1XXX based cards just like they do on the new mac pro-- and before you get all excited the new mac pro has more USB 3.0 issues than the other real macs that have native intel chips so if you are looking for a "perfect" USB 3.0, if it even exists, buy a new mac mini.

g\ 

THANKS!

I buyed an fresco logic chip  FL1XXX based card and USB 3 worked out of the box (OS X 10.0.2) ! Called inateck KT4006 (2 Port , germany).

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting that ASM1042 working for me on X79 mob OSX10.10.3 with RehabMan-Generic-USB3-2014-1016 kext (after adding this arguments in Clover: -gux_defer_usb2,  -gux_no_idle, -gux_nosleep) 

• Like 1

Any chance you've got stale {censored} laying around in the lockdown folder1? When I've had inconsistent sync or device connections on my Hac my first steps are to blow that folder's contents away (devices will re-prompt for "Do you trust this computer") and disable Sync This Device over WiFi in iTunes because it pollutes libimobiledevice too much (libimobiledevice tools will not know which device you want to talk to when they're all phoning in over WiFi to usbmuxd).

1: The "lockdown folder" is `/var/db/lockdown` and has the device certs for devices that form trust relationships with that system.

fffeee,

thanks for the hint, that helped!

Meanwhile I have finally switched to Yosemite and I was really surprised that at the beginning, my iDevices worked correctly again, but I did also make another clean install and rebuilt the whole System.

But after a while, things started acting weird again. For example, I suddenly had devices in Imagecapture that weren't even connected at that time!

However, after deleting the folder you pointed out, my devices are suddenly reappearing again.

Hmm, so what the ....  still wondering what's going on. But I will keep an eye on this folder for now.

Maybe I have even done wrong with "blaming" GenericUSB... and the problem lies somewhere else. Hmmmm.

If you happen to have Intel USB 3.0 controllers in your mobo (HM77 here), USB 3.0 support is native, but multiplexing (= usb 2.0 devices working on these 3.0 ports) is not.

So maybe you are using this USBGenericHXHCI kext to enable multiplexing.

In my case (as in many other, I read), on 10.10 this kext is very unstable.

What I experienced:

- Very often devices do not work when first plugged, and have to be plugged again in another port to work

- USB devices very slow to be recognised sometimes (usb audio cards, for example)

- Delayed shutdown (computer shuts down but stays powered for another 10 secs with black screen before shutting down)

- Sudden wake from sleep in certain conditions

Good news!

Follow this guide to the letter, patch the DSDT and forget about this problematic kext!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287901-how-to-get-intel-7-series-usb-30-fully-working-step-by-step-guide/

Good news!

Follow this guide to the letter, patch the DSDT and forget about this problematic kext!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287901-how-to-get-intel-7-series-usb-30-fully-working-step-by-step-guide/

Looking at the ACPI code this was only a transplant from the SSDT-2.aml of a 3 year old  real MacBoookPro10,1 (Ivy bridge):MacBookPro10,1-ACPI.zip :wink_anim:

Does it work correctly in windows? Maybe try with a shorter/thicker cable, from what I know power negotiation is related to the client choosing how much to draw (based on the response by the host), not the contrary. Am I wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

After owning an ASUS  P8Z77-V Deluxe machine for a few years I only now need to get USB3.0 working. I have the generic driver installed but nothing happens when I connect a device to it. Refreshing the system info shows no detection. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I tried connecting my Lenovo USB 3.0 dock and my Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 drive but I can only detect and use them when they are connected to the USB 2.0 hubs

Connecting a USB 2.0 device does not work either, it doesnt even get powered up.

Running Yosemite 10.10.2 btw

Omh04Qe.png

xhcdump.rtf

• 3 weeks later...

I have the generic driver installed but nothing happens when I connect a device to it. Refreshing the system info shows no detection. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong. It's just that the generixusbxhci kext no longer works with reliably (or at all) with 10.10.XX.

There's no solution and no one is working on it.

If your board has standard Intel USB3.0 chipset then the apple native drivers work fine and no need for this generic kext.