• Please log in to reply
686 replies to this topic

spang1974

spang1974

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Interesting. One question: With what devices did you try to measure the speed?

For the software side I used the following apps to measure speed (i would be happy to use any suggested though):

Aja System test

Black Magic Disk Speed Test

The hardware side of things was done by using the the integrated USB 3.0 ports and:

Touro USB 3.0 500Gb external drive

SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive

I am aware I will get varied read and write speeds, but the results I get are below what I would get with ML installed or if I used USB 2.0 ports. I get write speeds on my USB 3.0 below 20MB/s and read speeds above 80MB/s with Mavericks. I have a test Drive with Mountain lion 10.8.5 installed on the same system and get Write speeds on my USB 3.0 ports above 160MB/s with the same hardware and bios settings when selecting that test Drive at boot. As soon as I upgrade the test Drive system to Mavericks I lose those write speeds. 

I realize this problem is not a big deal for most but figured I would throw the info out there as there has been a lot of work done on getting USB 3.0 to work and even updating it for Mavericks specifically.

Spang1974

ila225

ila225

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Thanks for the through reply.

I asked because I also had issues with some pen drives and slow speeds, but I had maximum speed with USB 3.0 external HDs.

Now, one more thing that I don't know if everybody noticed, is that in most cases, with the "suggested / optimal" configuration guides out there, if I let my machine sleep and then turn it back on, all the USB 3.0 devices I had connected become USB 2.0.

I tried changing the XHCI mode with every option, but it is either that or when the machine awakes I have nothing connected to my USB ports.

I didn't try the GenericUSBXHCI kext since all my ports work aside from the sleep problem, but I wonder if that would also happen with it. I might have to give it a shot.

Anyway, the reason for me to write is just to be sure that you're not having the same problem and thus reporting slow speeds. Does it make sense?

I asked because I also had issues with some pen drives and slow speeds, but I had maximum speed with USB 3.0 external HDs.

Now, one more thing that I don't know if everybody noticed, is that in most cases, with the "suggested / optimal" configuration guides out there, if I let my machine sleep and then turn it back on, all the USB 3.0 devices I had connected become USB 2.0.

I tried changing the XHCI mode with every option, but it is either that or when the machine awakes I have nothing connected to my USB ports.

I didn't try the GenericUSBXHCI kext since all my ports work aside from the sleep problem, but I wonder if that would also happen with it. I might have to give it a shot.

Anyway, the reason for me to write is just to be sure that you're not having the same problem and thus reporting slow speeds. Does it make sense?

spang1974

spang1974

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Makes Total Sense:) I only put my mac to sleep.....never, so I am not sure if this has anything to do with my (and the others whom I have had feedback from)problem. Lots of restarts since I was trying different solutions and BIOS settings, but no Sleep. I think what really convinced me is that if I boot into my ML 10.8.5 test drive I have a complete working system with USB 3.0. Looks like I can only hope this problem affects enough Hackintosh's or a Mavericks update suddenly has a native fix. Thanks for the heads up, I have been looking for a solution and asking for 3+ months now and have not had that much response from most.

Spang1974

ila225

ila225

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Got it. Just to make it clear, here is what happens here.

These shots are from System Information. Command+R once there refreshes what you see.

First, this is my USB Device Tree:

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 4.47.01 PM.jpg

Don't ask me why, but the only real USB 3.0 speed is the "USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus", which is where I have attached my card reader.

Even though the USB Receiver and the Bluetooth are USB 3.0, they are not "super speed".

So when I plug in the DataTraveler 3.0, after a refresh (command+R) here is what I get:
Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 4.53.31 PM.jpg

If I remove that drive and plug in a USB 2.0 one, on the same port and refresh, here is what I get:

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 5.02.30 PM.jpg

Now, I'll put back the DataTraveler, refresh, and I just confirmed it is still 5 GB/s. However, after a sleep / wake, I'm greeted with warnings that the volumes were not ejected properly, but more importantly, here is what I have now in System Information:

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 5.09.10 PM.jpg

As you can see, everything is messed up right now, DataTraveler isn't even recognized anymore. Removing it and reattaching it doesn't make it show up again, but the other pen drive USB 2.0 does show up if I plug it in there. The controller has gone completely mad, or OS X's XHCI drivers, I don't know.

What I do know is that if I change the bios settings for XHCIMode from "Auto" to "Enabled", forcing it to be on, when the computer comes back from sleep there is no USB at all.

Perhaps there is something to the setting in your bios too.

I'm posting this more for information purposes and to try to help you identify how your devices are being seen by the OS. I don't know if you checked how your devices were recognized or registered, either with Apple's XHCI or GenericUSBXHCI, but it might help you find a solution, or in other words, perhaps your devices were never even recognized as USB 3.0 SuperSpeed.

If you tried it all, sorry for the lengthy post, if not, well, perhaps it helps.

Attached Files

ila225

ila225

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Just would like to add that I just did all the tests I mentioned in my previous post with GenericUSBXHCI and the results are the same, leading me to think that there is something wrong with the freaking UEFI / BIOS implementation.

Joy... now I almost wish I had not bought a Gigabyte with their "improved" usb stuff.

And one more thing. At one of my attempts to connect an external HD, somehow, one of my case ports is not working as well as it should. At once the connection was made as USB 3.0 only, then I remove the drive, curse it, put it back on and it gets USB 3.0 SupperSpeed.

Once again, System Information is the way to go to know how fast the device was recognized.

spang1974

spang1974

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

My drive is always recognized as USB 3.0 Superspeed Bus, it just doesn't actually transfer at speeds greater than USB 2.0. It doesnt matter if I use Apple's Kext or Zenith's generic one. I have tried ALL the different Bios settings available with no success.

Spang1974

Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 17.59.57.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 17.59.25.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 17.04.34.png

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

I finally figured out a workaround to getting my usb3 drive to work without getting kernel panics. It's a dirty hack, but at least it works. Basically I just removed GenericUSBXHCI, created an Extensions folder in my user library, and put it in there... Then I just used an applescript that kextloads it to run as a login item:

delay 10
do shell script "sudo kextload /Users/MyUserName/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext" password “mypassword” with administrator privileges

At least I can use my drive at 3.0 speeds without having to worry about unplugging it before I login. BTW this is on 10.9.3 with a Etron EJ168 and a WD My Book 114.

Anybody have any better ideas?

The Real Deal

The Real Deal

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 930 posts

Hi and thanks. My USB3 works on the H77N-WIFI.

I have this messages in the console, and just wonder if it is related :

01/06/2014 19:14:37,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    1.659    AppleUSBEHCI::CheckForSharedXHCIController timed out waiting for muxed XHCI controller
01/06/2014 19:14:37,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    1.665    AppleUSBEHCI::CheckForSharedXHCIController error getting XHCI controller
01/06/2014 19:14:37,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    1.671    AppleUSBEHCI::CheckForSharedXHCIController - unable to find the correct XHCI xhciBitmap(0x00000000) assertVal(0x00000001)

tinkleton

tinkleton

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hi, I'm not sure if this was answered in a post yet but I have an Asus P9X79 deluxe mobo and for some reason I can't get the two SS USB 3.0 ports next to the intel Ethernet adapter to work. I have tried this kext and installed the SSDT from rampagedev in an attempt to optimize my PC. Can anyone shed some light on my problem?

Mohamed Khairy

Mohamed Khairy

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

hi Zenith432

after using os x 10.10 DP1

usb3 doesn't work now !

is there update for the new OS X ?

Attached File  Screen Shot 2014-06-07 at 11.57.34 PM.png   513.5KB   13 downloads

Phil511

Phil511

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

@Zenith432,

I installed UniversalUSBXCHI Kext using the installer by the name I cannot speak here, it returned with annoying error. It does not show up in finder nor desktop.

I replaced with your updated one, it worked like a charm. Thank you for your nice work and help to the community. :thumbsup_anim:

ADHDMedia

ADHDMedia

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
Working on 10.10 yet?
So I've been able to load and use this driver for USB 3.0 on my 10.10 installation. It works fine until my system goes to sleep, when I wake back up it doesn't work anymore. My 3.0 is dead until reboot.

Any suggestions?

ADHDMedia

ADHDMedia

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
Ok lol I lied. It's something to do with Clover, because I've always booted Mavs with Chameleon and now that I'm booting with Clover, USB3 is broken after sleep on Mavs too. I'll figure it out, thanks anyways! Thanks for the driver!

Demonbane

Demonbane

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Hi, Zenith432,

first of all thanks for your great work!

i have a 8 Series Mobo and i'm using GenericUSBXHCI.kext with boot flag: -gux_defer_usb2, so that my Laptop won't wake automatically after sleeping.

and recently i found a bug:

with GenericUSBXHCI +  -gux_defer_usb2, it works fine in most cases.

but when i set the "energy saver": display never turns off, then after several hours, the laptop can't shut down, if i click the shutdown button.(normally it can)

what's stranger is that when i click the restart button, but the laptop shut down actually...

do you know how to fix it probably? 

Thanks in advance 

MacWill

MacWill

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Can you help me on this problem? My external Hybrid SSHD-4TB not appear in Disk Manager or Finder.

Attached File  Captura de Tela 2014-07-01 s 21.02.58.png   578.04KB   6 downloads

mengshi

mengshi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Is the VLI chipset currently support by the GenericUSBXHCI driver?

I'm interested in this card: http://www.ebay.com/...=item259207d84a

But Mac OS support is not specified.

This card looks similar but uses the FL1100 chipset. It is made by Orico but the seller doesn't ship overseas and it is pretty hard to find. (http://www.ebay.com/...08419a#shpCntId).

I'm in the 20-pin connector which can be connected to the built-in USB 3.0 ports of my casing.

Thanks

@ROBASEFR

@ROBASEFR

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Fresco FL 1100 Chip is OOB( out of the box) compatible OSX,  no deed  for GenericUSBXHCI driver ! It's the same for (Fresco FL1009)

:thumbsup_anim:

falanx

falanx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Your kext works like a charm. Thank you. The only problem is that when I plug in my usb 3.0 in the usb 3.0 after 5 minutes it gets really hot. Before usb 3.0 support, only usb 2.0, it didn't get this hot even after stress testing it. Any ideas?

ila225

ila225

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Your kext works like a charm. Thank you. The only problem is that when I plug in my usb 3.0 in the usb 3.0 after 5 minutes it gets really hot. Before usb 3.0 support, only usb 2.0, it didn't get this hot even after stress testing it. Any ideas?

Assuming you're talking about a HDD, that wouldn't surprise me. In my tests, a usb 3.0 capable external drive was providing about 30mb/s under usb 2.0, but jumped to 90mb/s or more when I plugged it into usb 3.0. It is 3 times the speed and the workload way higher.

Now, if the drive keeps hot even when you're not accessing it for anything, that could be a problem, but if it only keeps hot while you're using it, that is probably normal.

falanx

falanx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

That's the problem. It's normal to get hot when it's in use but it gets hot even when it's not accessed. Only in the usb 3.0 port. More strange is that anything that's usb 2.0 does not get hot in the usb 3.0 hub. :)) Maybe if I patched my dsdt for usb 3.0 native support...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xHC, USB 3.0

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy