GenericUSBXHCI USB 3.0 driver for OS X with source

928 posts in this topic

@Zenith432,

I installed UniversalUSBXCHI Kext using the installer by the name I cannot speak here, it returned with annoying error. It does not show up in finder nor desktop.

I replaced with your updated one, it worked like a charm. Thank you for your nice work and help to the community. :thumbsup_anim:

Working on 10.10 yet?

So I've been able to load and use this driver for USB 3.0 on my 10.10 installation. It works fine until my system goes to sleep, when I wake back up it doesn't work anymore. My 3.0 is dead until reboot.

Any suggestions?

Ok lol I lied. It's something to do with Clover, because I've always booted Mavs with Chameleon and now that I'm booting with Clover, USB3 is broken after sleep on Mavs too. I'll figure it out, thanks anyways! Thanks for the driver!

Hi, Zenith432,

first of all thanks for your great work!

i have a 8 Series Mobo and i'm using GenericUSBXHCI.kext with boot flag: -gux_defer_usb2, so that my Laptop won't wake automatically after sleeping.

and recently i found a bug:

with GenericUSBXHCI +  -gux_defer_usb2, it works fine in most cases.

but when i set the "energy saver": display never turns off, then after several hours, the laptop can't shut down, if i click the shutdown button.(normally it can)

what's stranger is that when i click the restart button, but the laptop shut down actually...

do you know how to fix it probably? 

Thanks in advance 

• 1 month later...

Is the VLI chipset currently support by the GenericUSBXHCI driver?

I'm interested in this card: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORICO-2-Ports-USB-3-0-20-Pin-PCI-E-to-USB3-0-Express-Card-Hub-Adapter-for-PC-/161363777610?pt=US_Internal_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item259207d84a

But Mac OS support is not specified.

This card looks similar but uses the FL1100 chipset. It is made by Orico but the seller doesn't ship overseas and it is pretty hard to find. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORICO-PME-4UI-USB-3-0-2-Port-20PIN-PCI-Express-to-USB3-0-Card-For-MAC-PC-/161363804570?pt=US_Internal_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item259208419a#shpCntId).

I'm in the 20-pin connector which can be connected to the built-in USB 3.0 ports of my casing.

Thanks

Your kext works like a charm. Thank you. The only problem is that when I plug in my usb 3.0 in the usb 3.0 after 5 minutes it gets really hot. Before usb 3.0 support, only usb 2.0, it didn't get this hot even after stress testing it. Any ideas?

Your kext works like a charm. Thank you. The only problem is that when I plug in my usb 3.0 in the usb 3.0 after 5 minutes it gets really hot. Before usb 3.0 support, only usb 2.0, it didn't get this hot even after stress testing it. Any ideas?

Assuming you're talking about a HDD, that wouldn't surprise me. In my tests, a usb 3.0 capable external drive was providing about 30mb/s under usb 2.0, but jumped to 90mb/s or more when I plugged it into usb 3.0. It is 3 times the speed and the workload way higher.

Now, if the drive keeps hot even when you're not accessing it for anything, that could be a problem, but if it only keeps hot while you're using it, that is probably normal.

That's the problem. It's normal to get hot when it's in use but it gets hot even when it's not accessed. Only in the usb 3.0 port. More strange is that anything that's usb 2.0 does not get hot in the usb 3.0 hub. :)) Maybe if I patched my dsdt for usb 3.0 native support...

There is another problem with this driver.

If I use iPhoto or Image Capture, my device is not properly recognized on USB3. Takes about 30 secs for the device to appear, and I cannot load (or see) ANY photos. If I attach it to a USB2 port, it promptly works.

As there are also other problems with this driver, I wonder if / when they will be fixed.

Or does anyone have an alternative, ie by NOT using genericusbxhci? I have the ASM1042 chipset for USB3.

Hi I got it working on DP4 but it involved some things

1. sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

2. download source

3. download xcode, signing in with apple developer account and requesting certificates

4. removing _onThunderbolt functions from source as xcode 6 raised like 8 errors on it.

5. signing with my mac developer account and then build/compile.

6. after installing the resulted .kext with kextwizard i rebuild the mkext with:

7. sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

8. reboot & working for me.

I can attach my .kext if that is allowed......

Edit: kext attached

Edit2: Thanks @Zenith of course!

GenericUSBXHCI.kext.zip

• Like 15

2. download source

3. download xcode, signing in with apple developer account and requesting certificates

4. removing _onThunderbolt functions from source as xcode 6 raised like 8 errors on it.

6. after installing the resulted .kext with kextwizard i rebuild the mkext with:

7. sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Thanks a million bro!  Working for me on DP4.  Awesome.  Back to work I go!  Haha

• Like 2

2. download source

So Zenith's prebuilt kext does not work with kext-dev-mode=1 in DP4, while your build works with kext-dev-mode=1?

• Like 1

Is this driver compatible with Asm107x ? I have an issue with a USB Jabra biz2400 that is not mounting, getting a message in console "kernel[0]: USBF:    244. 67    IOUSBCompositeDriver(Jabra BIZ 2400 USB)::ConfigureDevice SetConfiguration (1) returned 0xe00002bd" repeating over and over again.

2. download source

I can confirm that this works in Yosemite Public Beta as well! it needs to be in /S/L/E and boot with kext-dev-mode=1 (I'm using Clover as bootloader)

Thank you man, saved the day!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2. download source

This is the only kext that make my usb 3.0 work, but cause my system wake up immediately from sleep. Please help me to fix that!

Doesn't work on clover.

It is a kernel flag for GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Has nothing to do with Clover.

my syslog

Aug 15 11:47:05 Chissangas-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason = pci1b21,1042 pci1b21,1042

Find out what device that is...