GenericUSBXHCI USB 3.0 driver for OS X with source

928 posts in this topic

Hi all !

Firts of all, thanks to Zenith for working on this driver.

I want to buy an USB 3.0 Expresscard adapter for my Macbook.

I will probably use this driver.

I can choose a card with either NEC/Renesas, ASMedia 1042, or Fresco Logic chipsets.

My question is:

what is the most stable (not necessarily fastest) chipset that thus driver supports ?

Thank you !

Fresco logic can use the apple native drivers (they are what the new mac pro has) so though the generic driver is really great now, i do generally suggest people get a fresco logic based card if it suits their needs. I have both Asmedia and NEC controllers, and though the NEC are generally better regarded, i have to say that after the last few driver updates my ASM1042 is rock solid with everything I attach. So that is my recommendation out of the two.

g\

I searched the web and I could not find an Expresscard/34 adapter using the FL1009 or FL1100 chipsets.

I found one using FL1000 (the older version, which may not be supported  by Apple drivers).

Any suggestions ? I may need to go to Renesas, since these are easily available.

Hi

I a couple of months ago I bought an External USB card. It's hardware information is
Device ID: 0x0194
PCI Revision: 0x0004
PCI vendor: 0x1033

I've tried everything. I tried the generic USB driver but also updating the firmware, changing the device ID and then again the Generic USB driver. But 
i had no success at all.

The system profile shows the card, but no drive get mounted when I connect it, not even USB2 drives....

what am I doing wrong?????

I searched the web and I could not find an Expresscard/34 adapter using the FL1009 or FL1100 chipsets.

I found one using FL1000 (the older version, which may not be supported  by Apple drivers).

Any suggestions ? I may need to go to Renesas, since these are easily available.

Here is à 15 $ card with Fresco FL1100 chipset 100 % compatible MAC !

http://www.amazon.com/ExpressCard-Express-Adapter-Converter-5-0Gbps/dp/B008XUFJIM

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,
I was hoping for an explanation of what the boot arguments listed in the OP do (in noob language). I get force ejected USB 3.0 drives on wake and if I knew what the arguments did, I could better asses if they should help this issue. Thanks again.

Hello All,

After discovering my own USB 3.0 ports were no longer writing at the correct speeds, and spending a good 3 months trying to figure out a solution I have given up looking. It seems that Mavericks 10.9.0+, the genericusbxhci kext, and Gigabyte motherboard GA-B75M-D3H (GA-B85M-D3H as well) will allow the ports to be used and even appear as USB 3.0 ports, but they will not write or read at speeds above USB 2.0.. I have verified with others using the same board as me and they have the same result. I was first hoping it was just a cable problem or even drive malfunction, but after switching out both for different cables, and alternate drives but got the same result. I have also tried different Bios, different Bios settings, using the genericusbxhci kext, not using the genericusbxhci kext same result. I had correct write and read speeds with USB 3.0 along with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 , but not with Mavericks:(

I am wondering if the affects a small number of boards or is it more widespread. One of the biggest things I have come across is persons not realizing their USB 3.0 was not functioning properly because they either dont use it or dont use it for large amounts of data, I only noticed it after I got a new drive to use for my Time machine backups, and realized it was going to take 9+ hours to backup my machine.

I am very happy with my machine, but there is that part of me that let's these little and almost meaningless problems bug me.

Regards

Spang1974

Hello All,

After discovering my own USB 3.0 ports were no longer writing at the correct speeds, and spending a good 3 months trying to figure out a solution I have given up looking. It seems that Mavericks 10.9.0+, the genericusbxhci kext, and Gigabyte motherboard GA-B75M-D3H (GA-B85M-D3H as well) will allow the ports to be used and even appear as USB 3.0 ports, but they will not write or read at speeds above USB 2.0.. I have verified with others using the same board as me and they have the same result. I was first hoping it was just a cable problem or even drive malfunction, but after switching out both for different cables, and alternate drives but got the same result. I have also tried different Bios, different Bios settings, using the genericusbxhci kext, not using the genericusbxhci kext same result. I had correct write and read speeds with USB 3.0 along with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 , but not with Mavericks:(

I am wondering if the affects a small number of boards or is it more widespread. One of the biggest things I have come across is persons not realizing their USB 3.0 was not functioning properly because they either dont use it or dont use it for large amounts of data, I only noticed it after I got a new drive to use for my Time machine backups, and realized it was going to take 9+ hours to backup my machine.

I am very happy with my machine, but there is that part of me that let's these little and almost meaningless problems bug me.

Regards

Spang1974

Interesting. One question: With what devices did you try to measure the speed?

Interesting. One question: With what devices did you try to measure the speed?

For the software side I used the following apps to measure speed (i would be happy to use any suggested though):

Aja System test

Black Magic Disk Speed Test

The hardware side of things was done by using the the integrated USB 3.0 ports and:

Touro USB 3.0 500Gb external drive

SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive

I am aware I will get varied read and write speeds, but the results I get are below what I would get with ML installed or if I used USB 2.0 ports. I get write speeds on my USB 3.0 below 20MB/s and read speeds above 80MB/s with Mavericks. I have a test Drive with Mountain lion 10.8.5 installed on the same system and get Write speeds on my USB 3.0 ports above 160MB/s with the same hardware and bios settings when selecting that test Drive at boot. As soon as I upgrade the test Drive system to Mavericks I lose those write speeds. 

I realize this problem is not a big deal for most but figured I would throw the info out there as there has been a lot of work done on getting USB 3.0 to work and even updating it for Mavericks specifically.

Spang1974

Thanks for the through reply.

I asked because I also had issues with some pen drives and slow speeds, but I had maximum speed with USB 3.0 external HDs.

Now, one more thing that I don't know if everybody noticed, is that in most cases, with the "suggested / optimal" configuration guides out there, if I let my machine sleep and then turn it back on, all the USB 3.0 devices I had connected become USB 2.0.

I tried changing the XHCI mode with every option, but it is either that or when the machine awakes I have nothing connected to my USB ports.

I didn't try the GenericUSBXHCI kext since all my ports work aside from the sleep problem, but I wonder if that would also happen with it. I might have to give it a shot.

Anyway, the reason for me to write is just to be sure that you're not having the same problem and thus reporting slow speeds. Does it make sense?

I asked because I also had issues with some pen drives and slow speeds, but I had maximum speed with USB 3.0 external HDs.

Now, one more thing that I don't know if everybody noticed, is that in most cases, with the "suggested / optimal" configuration guides out there, if I let my machine sleep and then turn it back on, all the USB 3.0 devices I had connected become USB 2.0.

I tried changing the XHCI mode with every option, but it is either that or when the machine awakes I have nothing connected to my USB ports.

I didn't try the GenericUSBXHCI kext since all my ports work aside from the sleep problem, but I wonder if that would also happen with it. I might have to give it a shot.

Anyway, the reason for me to write is just to be sure that you're not having the same problem and thus reporting slow speeds. Does it make sense?

Makes Total Sense:) I only put my mac to sleep.....never, so I am not sure if this has anything to do with my (and the others whom I have had feedback from)problem. Lots of restarts since I was trying different solutions and BIOS settings, but no Sleep. I think what really convinced me is that if I boot into my ML 10.8.5 test drive I have a complete working system with USB 3.0. Looks like I can only hope this problem affects enough Hackintosh's or a Mavericks update suddenly has a native fix. Thanks for the heads up, I have been looking for a solution and asking for 3+ months now and have not had that much response from most.

Spang1974

Got it. Just to make it clear, here is what happens here.

These shots are from System Information. Command+R once there refreshes what you see.

First, this is my USB Device Tree:

post-17972-0-43862000-1399585726.jpg

Don't ask me why, but the only real USB 3.0 speed is the "USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus", which is where I have attached my card reader.

Even though the USB Receiver and the Bluetooth are USB 3.0, they are not "super speed".

So when I plug in the DataTraveler 3.0, after a refresh (command+R) here is what I get:
post-17972-0-00005600-1399586400_thumb.jpg

If I remove that drive and plug in a USB 2.0 one, on the same port and refresh, here is what I get:

post-17972-0-79122100-1399586692_thumb.jpg

Now, I'll put back the DataTraveler, refresh, and I just confirmed it is still 5 GB/s. However, after a sleep / wake, I'm greeted with warnings that the volumes were not ejected properly, but more importantly, here is what I have now in System Information:

post-17972-0-93733200-1399587060.jpg

As you can see, everything is messed up right now, DataTraveler isn't even recognized anymore. Removing it and reattaching it doesn't make it show up again, but the other pen drive USB 2.0 does show up if I plug it in there. The controller has gone completely mad, or OS X's XHCI drivers, I don't know.

What I do know is that if I change the bios settings for XHCIMode from "Auto" to "Enabled", forcing it to be on, when the computer comes back from sleep there is no USB at all.

Perhaps there is something to the setting in your bios too.

I'm posting this more for information purposes and to try to help you identify how your devices are being seen by the OS. I don't know if you checked how your devices were recognized or registered, either with Apple's XHCI or GenericUSBXHCI, but it might help you find a solution, or in other words, perhaps your devices were never even recognized as USB 3.0 SuperSpeed.

If you tried it all, sorry for the lengthy post, if not, well, perhaps it helps.

post-17972-0-43862000-1399585726.jpg

post-17972-0-00005600-1399586400_thumb.jpg

post-17972-0-79122100-1399586692_thumb.jpg

post-17972-0-93733200-1399587060.jpg

• Like 1

Just would like to add that I just did all the tests I mentioned in my previous post with GenericUSBXHCI and the results are the same, leading me to think that there is something wrong with the freaking UEFI / BIOS implementation.

Joy... now I almost wish I had not bought a Gigabyte with their "improved" usb stuff.

And one more thing. At one of my attempts to connect an external HD, somehow, one of my case ports is not working as well as it should. At once the connection was made as USB 3.0 only, then I remove the drive, curse it, put it back on and it gets USB 3.0 SupperSpeed.

Once again, System Information is the way to go to know how fast the device was recognized.

My drive is always recognized as USB 3.0 Superspeed Bus, it just doesn't actually transfer at speeds greater than USB 2.0. It doesnt matter if I use Apple's Kext or Zenith's generic one. I have tried ALL the different Bios settings available with no success.

Spang1974

post-1113976-0-93662600-1396204298_thumb.png
post-1113976-0-10296000-1396204297_thumb.png
post-1113976-0-24968100-1396204106_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

I finally figured out a workaround to getting my usb3 drive to work without getting kernel panics. It's a dirty hack, but at least it works. Basically I just removed GenericUSBXHCI, created an Extensions folder in my user library, and put it in there... Then I just used an applescript that kextloads it to run as a login item:

delay 10
do shell script "sudo kextload /Users/MyUserName/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext" password “mypassword” with administrator privileges

At least I can use my drive at 3.0 speeds without having to worry about unplugging it before I login. BTW this is on 10.9.3 with a Etron EJ168 and a WD My Book 114.

Anybody have any better ideas?

Hi and thanks. My USB3 works on the H77N-WIFI.

I have this messages in the console, and just wonder if it is related :

01/06/2014 19:14:37,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    1.659    AppleUSBEHCI::CheckForSharedXHCIController timed out waiting for muxed XHCI controller
01/06/2014 19:14:37,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    1.665    AppleUSBEHCI::CheckForSharedXHCIController error getting XHCI controller
01/06/2014 19:14:37,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    1.671    AppleUSBEHCI::CheckForSharedXHCIController - unable to find the correct XHCI xhciBitmap(0x00000000) assertVal(0x00000001)

Hi, I'm not sure if this was answered in a post yet but I have an Asus P9X79 deluxe mobo and for some reason I can't get the two SS USB 3.0 ports next to the intel Ethernet adapter to work. I have tried this kext and installed the SSDT from rampagedev in an attempt to optimize my PC. Can anyone shed some light on my problem?