[worklog] The PowerMac G5 "Talulah" Project

SirKeldon

21 posts in this topic

Well, here begins my second mod of a G5 case. I got a very sweet deal - all the inner components and an A-/B+ outside grade for just 60 EUR from a local seller. This time i wanted to accomplish two main things with my mod:

1. The inner layout is as beautiful as the out one, so why not maintain it? And that's exactly what I want to do, leaving as many original items as possible.

2. Budget components. I wanted to profit from the old Q8200 and Q6600 processors that I already have and keep the LGA775 architecture for 2 more years as a spare PC (mainly built for folding/crunching) … apart from the motherboard my goal is to use components that could be also be used in a future rig.

IMG_1842.jpg

Total cost: 301EUR (~ 390USD$)

But let's focus on the first point which has the real juice. To maintain the inner layout I knew I had several things to do. Since I had spare fans out from an old neighbor G5 that was gonna be thrown I decided to start rewiring the original fans following Badouin's diagrams that were so helpful.

Here are some pics of the process, including the original CPU connection:

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

CPUFanRewiring.jpg

Next step was to rehouse the G5 PSU. I don't have pictures of the disassembling since i was a lil bit nervous (last time messing with a PSU i got zapped) … but once the original PSU was safely placed into a shoe box, i took pictures of how i placed the SFX PSU into the original cage:

PSUPart1.jpg

PSUPart2.jpg

With that thing covered i could move on to the disassembling of the original inner components. I managed to route the SATA cables to their original spot as well as adapting the top fans that are gonna be regulated with the Lamptron FC2 fan controller (as well as all the original ones)

IMG_1818.jpg

Then i tested to see if the MB was fitting properly, which it did, also providing room under it for cable management.

IMG_1816.jpg

After all of this, we arrive till today. I JB welded the original stand-offs out of a ghetto-template that i did with a DIN-A4 sheet, and right now they're still curing for the first 2 hours with some books on the top to apply the initial pressure.

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

Next steps:

- Test if the mo-bo is properly fixed and apply more JB weld to ensure the joints are solid

- Do a minimal cut on the back to allow access to USB and audio connections.

- Measure the original PCI divider to cut a small hole to avoid touching RAM and Mo-Bo heatsinks (then i'll be able to place CPU+GFX fans as well as the original G5 CPU cover)

- Build a cage for the fan controller to securely fix it using the original CD/DVD spot (regulators will be accessible opening the front-sliding door)

Still a lot of hard work to do … so stay tuned, hope you like it as much as i enjoyed doing it.

Cheers to everybody!! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by SirKeldon
  • Like 2

Someone needs to tell Aldous Huxley that his book is still being used and appreciated in 2013 :hysterical:

Seriously though, this is really starting to come together nicely! Great work not killing yourself with the PSU - who else would I complain to on Skype?!?!

Nice job, congrats for the 60 euro deal. Do you plan to keep the original G5 back plate or cut it ?

Thanks Badouin!

Regarding the back first what i will try is to use a couple of USB and audio extensors that i have and see if they fit to avoid cutting anything ... but if not, i will just dremel a little part of it to access that MoBo IO part. I will check tomorrow, do you have any ideas? :)

Someone needs to tell Aldous Huxley that his book is still being used and appreciated in 2013 :hysterical:

Seriously though, this is really starting to come together nicely! Great work not killing yourself with the PSU - who else would I complain to on Skype?!?!

Yeah, Aldous is gonna be happy his book is used to build a "brave new G5" lol, talking seriously, thanks for all your help with the PSU and guiding myself in the most important steps!!!

Tomorrow "more and better" (as we say in Spain)

Cheers buddies!

Edited by SirKeldon
  • Like 1

If you use extensors for audio, usb, ethernet and DVI, you don't need to cut. I intend to do so until I finish to solder the piece of Mobo I cut with the connectors. Or you can buy the back panel wires here on the site.

Mas y mejor???

Exactly that :D

If you use extensors for audio, usb, ethernet and DVI, you don't need to cut. I intend to do so until I finish to solder the piece of Mobo I cut with the connectors. Or you can buy the back panel wires here on the site.

For the ethernet i really i'm not gonna use it, i'm planning to get a PCI-E Wi-Fi DWA-556 or DWA-543 (hackintosh OOB compatible) ... DVI is not needed neither since i'm gonna use the connector out of the GTX 650 remaining in the original PCI spot (stand-offs were already glued to accomplish that purpose), only needed thing will be the USB's as well as the two audio connectors, i'm a lil bit affraid that maybe now is not enough room to do that and maybe i'll have to cut, but since i only need the 4 USB's and audio ... the hole shouldn't be that big.

I know terrorgen at the forum is offering prebuilt rear mobo's but i'll have to ask him the exact size. Idk, still unsure on what to do with the back, honestly.

Edited by SirKeldon

I know terrorgen at the forum is offering prebuilt rear mobo's but I'll have to ask him the exact size. Idk, still unsure on what to do with the back, honestly.

Not sure if that is vaporware or not... too may times have I been foiled by big plans and no execution on the part of others... time will tell there.

--Regardless, it wont fit. When you put your MB in like you did (like I did as well) by reusing the original PCI expansion slots, it's about a half of an inch between the MB and the original G5 I/O area. His PCB is wider than 3/4 of an inch. And if I remember correctly, the components he is sourcing are that size. someone could maybe find smaller components, but damn its tight back there. I ran one USB extension cable out thru one of the holes to a hub. I still don't know what to do back there and I 'finished' my mod 3 months ago!

• Like 1

--Regardless, it wont fit. When you put your MB in like you did (like I did as well) by reusing the original PCI expansion slots, it's about a half of an inch between the MB and the original G5 I/O area.

LOL, thanks for the bad news. I just realized that I have the same issue with my USB 3.0 extension cables at the back of my project. Bearer of bad news and all that...

*Edit: :D *

Not sure if that is vaporware or not... too may times have I been foiled by big plans and no execution on the part of others... time will tell there.

--Regardless, it wont fit. When you put your MB in like you did (like I did as well) by reusing the original PCI expansion slots, it's about a half of an inch between the MB and the original G5 I/O area. His PCB is wider than 3/4 of an inch. And if I remember correctly, the components he is sourcing are that size. someone could maybe find smaller components, but damn its tight back there. I ran one USB extension cable out thru one of the holes to a hub. I still don't know what to do back there and I 'finished' my mod 3 months ago!

Ummm, so you cleared myself out, i saw my current G5 mod and i see it's gonna be hard to use the extensors with that spacing, anyway, as i said, the hole it's not gonna be so big if i cut the space for the USB's and two audio connectors. (as you can see in the mobo picture)

Thanks for clarifying and pointint that out

LOL, thanks for the bad news. I just realized that I have the same issue with my USB 3.0 extension cables at the back of my project. Bearer of bad news and all that...

*Edit: :D *

tumblr_l3842vRihZ1qzel9oo1_500.jpg

I know you're gonna get out with a nice idea, cutting is not part of your plan, go w/o doing it ninja! :ninja:

Edited by SirKeldon
  • Like 1

Hello everybody!

So today was a busy day but at the end i reached to do a couple of things and almost manage to finish my proof of concept.

First thing was to see if the motherboard was safely fixed, after 24 hours epoxy should be good so i tested to place the RAM sticks and see if it was able to hold the pressure, it did so it was safe to go on.

After that, i needed the placeholder for the PCI divider which is the rear fan mounting, and with this i faced a problem. The result of using original standoffs and disposal makes that the back top clip of the fan mounting to hit the audio connectors, i thought my plan was over (since i also had the problem in the previous mod) but then i found a solution, i was going to cut that part, carefully and just a little bit, losing half clip at the most. Here is the result fitting like a charm:

IMG_1867.jpg

Next step was to route the fan plug under the motherboard, also i unpacked the BlackCH cable for the original front-panel which i also managed to route it under the mobo.

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Cutting the PCI divider was long, first cause that steel is pretty hard (it ate a whole reinforced dremel disk) and second because i had to take "visual" measures ... and i had to readjust the cut a couple of times but it finally did the job w/o touching RAM or heatsink:

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

Once accomplished, it was time to insert the rest of the hardware kept in the original spots such as hard drive and graphics card.

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

Then i placed the G5 CPU cover and this is the final result of the Proof of Concept, w/o and w/window:

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

Of course, it's still not finished, at the end i didn't cut the back at all as i had in plan, i was unsure as i said yesterday and till i decide what to do with it i will use some PCI bracket USBs.

Next will be arrange the fan controller, it will be oriented to control the fans opening the DVD slide door, so i have to turn and fix it. I'm planning to profit a 5,25" cage and sort it out to hold it as well as to hide some cables, i'll see.

Of course cable management will be reviewed again :D and also i'm thinking to use the free gaps to stick some LCD screens showing system info ... but i'm unsure, if you have any other ideas, please share, i'll be glad to hear them and maybe consider to do it. Let me know what you think.

Cheers and best regards!

------

Like it!

But why use a SFX PSU which would fit inside the G5 PSU case and still open it up?

I'm glad you like it, thanks!

It's not fitting at all, G5 PSU cage is 60mm high at the outside, inner height is about 57-58mm while SFX is 63,5mm ...my initial idea was just to remove the cage and bend both sides so i will correct that 5mm difference ... but as i wanted everything to fit (cables included) i saw that i had to cut one of the sides. Did you manage to place an SFX PSU inside the G5 cage w/o cutting it?

Edited by SirKeldon

have you tried removing it from the original case and then mounting it to the TeslaConverter shell? I bought some standoffs (binding posts they are called at Home Depot) and used the same method for mounting the PSU as I did the MB. Worth a look-see!

• Like 1

have you tried removing it from the original case and then mounting it to the TeslaConverter shell? I bought some standoffs (binding posts they are called at Home Depot) and used the same method for mounting the PSU as I did the MB. Worth a look-see!

Not really, i didn't want to mess a lot with the PSU removing it from its original case since this implied {censored}/unscrewing near the capacitors and that's one of the things i try to avoid if i can. You can notice it at the first post when i talk about rehousing PSU :unsure:

I saw some works as the one you did and mention (btw, can you link to yours? i'd love to see) ... and they're looking really professional, and for the airflow it's even better ... but still not encouraged as that to do that kind of mod, if i go with it someday, i'll ask you for help and safety guidance.

Thanks for the tip! :D

I love that you are making the insides look close to stock, reusing a lot of the original parts. Thought, what if you cut down the original G5 motherboard so that it fit next to your PC motherboard, attached to the standoffs, hiding the cables? You might have to make a small kind of "bridge" that covers the seam between the two motherboards, something dark so it blends in. That would complete the new stock look.

Where the front fans used to plug in you could cut out a small area from the G5's motherboard and have the new plug sticking out.

post-831025-0-39552500-1362362857_thumb.jpg

I love that you are making the insides look close to stock, reusing a lot of the original parts. Thought, what if you cut down the original G5 motherboard so that it fit next to your PC motherboard, attached to the standoffs, hiding the cables? You might have to make a small kind of "bridge" that covers the seam between the two motherboards, something dark so it blends in. That would complete the new stock look.

Where the front fans used to plug in you could cut out a small area from the G5's motherboard and have the new plug sticking out.

Thanks for your words and tip, in fact i still didn't throw any of the original internals so i could cut the parts you say to hide more cables (WhatTheTech can tell you how obsessive i am with cable management, even the pictures you're seeing, being a PoC, i tried to manage all the wires i could in a smart way, did my best since the hole under the motherboard is less than 1cm but can be improved on next revisions) Though that, being honest i wanted to make it more functional (that's why i said LCD temp monitors or some other internal nice stuff) as well as stylish, but i'll give it a try in Photoshop and see how it looks.

Only part that i won't apply any styling is the CPU fan mounting, as i say in the first post, i rewired the original plug, not the fans itself in that one so they're truly deattachable and that part is not really visible since it's covered with plastic too.

Thanks again!

I saw some works as the one you did and mention (btw, can you link to yours? I'd love to see) ... and they're looking really professional, and for the airflow it's even better ... but still not encouraged as that to do that kind of mod, if i go with it someday, I'll ask you for help and safety guidance.

Actually, if you look in the [tutorial] that WTT made, he shows and discusses both methouds. Rather than doing my own, I asked if he could include both ways in the excellent one he had already written up - gives a good compare and contrast.

Actually, if you look in the [tutorial] that WTT made, he shows and discusses both methouds. Rather than doing my own, I asked if he could include both ways in the excellent one he had already written up - gives a good compare and contrast.

Oh, i saw WTT work previously, but looking further ... the image of the naked PSU ... is it yours then? Cause i know what WTT did and that one was among the plans. Btw, the third method which is forthcoming in the tutorial ... imagine who is it from, hahahaha.

You did a good job, but as i told you, i wasn't feeling that encouraged to do that kind of mod ... less to maintain it having to do the cable management with all that naked components lol

I'm glad you like it, thanks!

It's not fitting at all, G5 PSU cage is 60mm high at the outside, inner height is about 57-58mm while SFX is 63,5mm ...my initial idea was just to remove the cage and bend both sides so i will correct that 5mm difference ... but as i wanted everything to fit (cables included) i saw that i had to cut one of the sides. Did you manage to place an SFX PSU inside the G5 cage w/o cutting it?

Thanks for the explanation! No I didn't manage it, just read the about the regular heights of th SFX PSU… a pitty that it doesn't fit naturally, that would have been awesome ;)

Thanks for the explanation! No I didn't manage it, just read the about the regular heights of th SFX PSU… a pitty that it doesn't fit naturally, that would have been awesome ;)

You're welcome and yes, it's really a shame that it's not fitting for just 3,5mm ... would be so awesome, though that, leaves way more room than a full ATX PSU for the cables as well to maintain the original airflow.

Cheers ;D