How can I select Kernel on Kalyway 10.5.2 and inject & rebuild kexts?

omero72

3 posts in this topic

Hello

I'm trying to install Kalyway 10.5.2 on my Asus Motherboard & AMD64 2GHz (2 core) processor & ATI Radeon 9600 Pro computer and I have several issues:

1- During installation from Kalyway DVD, in Customize menu, there are multiple Kernels and all of them are selectable:

sleepkernel (intel/amd/sse2/sse3)

speedstepkernel (intel/amd/sse2/sse3)

nforcekernel (intel/sse3)

modbinkernel (intel/amd/sse3)

vanillakernel (intel/sse3)

kabylkernel (intel/sse3) with sleep support

I was wondering how I will know which Kernel is the most suitable for my computer. And what's the point of selecting more than one kernel during installation, and if I ever selected several kernels during installation, how will I be able to select the kernel I want during startup after the installation. I actually made one installation by selecting those 2 kernels: sleepkernel and vanillakernel but I 'm unable to select any of them during startup. Pressing cmd+S doesn't give me the opportunity to do that.

2- During startup I guess the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro causes error and it hangs in a line which says: AGPGart ... I guess the Radeon 9600 Pro is incompatible with the stock DVD. I wonder how to solve this problem. I tried injecting new AGPGart kext externally by using Terminal and 'kextcache' command, because the computer couldn't boot into the Leopard desktop and ##### on my other Mac works only for the Kexts on the Desktop. Is there a practical way to make Radeon 9600 Pro work, any tutorial or links on this problem are appreciated.

3- Vanillakernel is said to be the original kernel of Mac OS, so is it the same as /mach_kernel ?

1) modbinkernel.

I was wondering how I will know which Kernel is the most suitable for my computer.
Intel only kernels will only work with Intel CPUs (obviously).
And what's the point of selecting more than one kernel during installation
Testing. Test which kernel works best. It is possible to chose what kernel to use. Either during boot up by specifying kernel flag such as:
-v modbin_kernel

or by specifying the same kernel flag in *.*.boot.plist file like:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>modbin_kernel</string>

Note that modbin_kernel is an arbitrary name, the actual naming might be different.

2) You should replace the card, as it's too old...

3)

Vanillakernel is said to be the original kernel of Mac OS, so is it the same as /mach_kernel ?
Vanilla is a slang name for the genuine original OS X kernel which by default is named mach_kernel. So yes, it's the same.

Please read up http://www.insanelym...faq-start-here/

Edited by 3.14r2

Ask help here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forum/318-amd-development/

If you replace you card with a newer ATI one, you can even try Lion and Mountain Lion. Your CPU is the time when AMD knew how to make them. I'd like to know how it would fare with a newer iteration of OSX. If you can, upgrade also your RAM.

You can ask help with AMD installations also in the chatroom #legacykernel, server chat.osx86.hu (IRC).

Best regards!