Help choosing Graphics for 10.7.5 on a mATX HTPC setup

theconnactic

9 posts in this topic

Hi, folks!

The title is quite self-explanatory: currently i have a G210 running. It works pretty OOB, even with the HDMI out. Audio is provided by the use of the latest VoodooHDA. This card, though, seems to be ending its lifetime, experiencing random crashes, specially with graphic-intensive games, but since some time ago, even with full screen movies and flash videos.

I need a replacement for it, and i thought about the Zotac GT640, since it's newer, more powerful and fits in my board (since it's mATX, the PCI slot i use for ethernet is quite close to the one i use to my graphics, so any replacement has to take that in mind) and doesn't need that 4-or-six pin to work, drawing power from the PCI-e slot only. Unfortunately, i also use an AMD CPU with this HTPC, meaning that i cannot update to Mountain Lion without losing QE/CI because of a bug in the kernel (unless with some ATI cards, but its hit-or-miss and, given the use for this machine, this kind of uncertainty puts Mountain Lion out of question for now). Therefore, i'm in Lion, running in 32-bit kernel mode (because of the same QE/CI bug that affects Mountain Lion kernels for AMD), and i read somewhere that the drivers for Kepler are 64-bit only, so i'm out of luck.

So, i need a graphics card that works OOB with 10.7.5 in 32-bit kernel mode, has a working HDMI out under OSX, and that fits in my motherboard, regarding the limits described above. I though about a GT240, which i also read elsewhere it's recommended for HTPC setups, but any alternative suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Best regards!

Thank you very much for the suggestion, iFire! I'll google it to see if it fits in my motherboard.

Best regards!

Update: too big! I need one that's thinner: with the HD5770, i won't be able to use my ethernet card, since its slot is the next one from the PCI-e slot reserved for the video card. I need one which factory form is closer to the G210 and Zotac's GT640. Besides this, the HD5770 needs to be powered with a power source cable: i need one which can draw the power from the PCI-e slot only, just like the said cards.

But thank you very much anyway! :)

Besides being too big for my slot configuration. I'll consider it, though, as a future replacement to my 9800 GT that's in my i5 rig, which lies in a full-ATX Gigabyte board. For now, i need a smaller card, in the likes of the G210, ZotacGT640 or EVGA GT240 (but that one starts to be a bit on the big side).

Best regards!

UPDATE: What about the HD 5570? Will HDMI work? It seems to fit in my motherboard: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5570/Pages/hd-5570-overview.aspx