ATI 4570 on sony vgn-nw160j, weird results!

pheonix137

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I've been working on getting the kinks out of my first hackintosh for the past 3 weeks, and the majority of the time has been spent on trying to get the video card working. I was following the new method in crazybirdy's post here:

http://www.insanelym...n/#entry1655903

I added my device id to the 4600controller kext and installed that and the other necessary kexts with kext wizard, and then installed the chameleon 2.1 for peregrine given in the post (I later updated chameleon and just used AtiConfig=Peregrine which worked the same). This got my HDMI port working with full QE/CI, flickering on my LVDS/laptop monitor, and no VGA output. Since I wanted at least my LVDS working as well for dual screens I decided to edit the Shrike personality using the various methods pointed out by bcc9/rampagedev/mucha/crazybirdy, but this usually gave me blank screens upon boot. Instead, I got the idea to edit the Peregrine personality since I at least had HDMI working in that one. Upon doing a little research I found that the Peregrine personality has been removed from the 4600controller kext in the latest versions and using ati-personality on the kext I'm using shows only Flicker, Gliff, and Shrike present. So I'm wondering how exactly I have full QE/CI on my HDMI port with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Peregrine when no Peregrine personality exists! So as a test I boot with AtiConfig=none and GraphicsEnabler=Yes and I got the same results as with AtiConfig=Peregrine!

Since then I tried fixing up my modded Shrike personality and have been using that with AtiConfig=Shrike and I have the same results as with AtiConfig=none/Peregrine.

Can anyone explain what's going on??

Here's my vga bios dump:

http://www.mediafire...ae9e5bj3qmw1jip

and the modded Shrike I'm using:

02 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 09 01 00 00 12 04 00 07

10 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 10 01 01

00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 10 00 02 05

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Chess does not work, the application opens then everything freezes except I can still move the mouse around (oddly enough it works with GraphicsEnabler=No but then I get graphics artifacts when moving pieces). I also found out that If I have VGA plugged in when I start up the laptop it will be detected and this stops the laptop display from flickering but the backlight is still on. So I guess VGA is working but still no LVDS and no Chess. Also, I get slight flickering on both HDMI and VGA.

UPDATE2: According to tonymacx86's wiki I have a working frame buffer but this does not mean I have full QE/CI

http://legacy.tonyma...cs_Acceleration

Edited by pheonix137

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

I'm still trying to work on this, does anyone have any suggestions?

Recently, I tried editing my shrike personality in ATI4600controller.kext and then just set graphics enabler to yes. This didn't do anything upon reboot. I checked the IOReg and it said I was still using the ATIFramebuffer so I tried adding the value AtiConfig=Shrike to my com.chameleon.boot.plist and got the same results.

I then tried using the ATY_Init kext for Shrike personality for 0x9553 posted by crazybirdy. This seemed to work as it gave me a black screen on both LVDS and VGA/HDMI and when I checked the IOReg remotely it said I was using Shrike framebuffer.

Can anyone use my dump and see if I have edited my personality correctly?

Edited by pheonix137