[Guide]Dell Inspirion 17R SE (7720) Installation Guide

WaldMeister

207 posts in this topic

Bit late to the party, but still:

Guide works for my "Dell Capitan"!!

got it working using your guide and some modifications to a install USB (the EFI zip file).

currently dual booting windows 10 and mac OS X El Capitan on my dell inspiron 7720.

shame to hear yours broke down... its a great machine to run Hackintosh on!

thanks!!

• 1 month later...

After updating my OS X to 10.10.5, HDMI out is not working and the amount of RAM is set to 1024 MB. I Applied the AIFC patch again but this doesn't help. Any sugestions ?

-------

Hackintosh Vietnam - Ultimate AIO Tool Was helpfull

-----

2nd thing:

i still got problem with wake from sleep. On AC Power my Dell wouldn't wake up from sleep but there is no problem when it's running on battery. Any ideas?

• 6 months later...

After updating my OS X to 10.10.5, HDMI out is not working and the amount of RAM is set to 1024 MB. I Applied the AIFC patch again but this doesn't help. Any sugestions ?

-------

Hackintosh Vietnam - Ultimate AIO Tool Was helpfull

-----

2nd thing:

i still got problem with wake from sleep. On AC Power my Dell wouldn't wake up from sleep but there is no problem when it's running on battery. Any ideas?

Rebuild you caches for the HDMI issue. The patch has been tested by me till 10.10.2, if something has changed in the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext, which breaks the patch, please attach the binary file or kext so i can adjust the patch.

​The wake from sleep issue, i managed to fix this in the past, a small correction in the DSDT file under device _LID is needed to resolve this issue. Remove the power entrie under it.

​Late response, sorry for that.

• 1 year later...

I'm currently trying this with High Sierra to see if it works.
Any ideas of what files to use and not use to get it to work?
I'm currently trying a few of the kexts from the EFI zip with latest clover.

Currently stuck with ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB.BAT0.BST] (NodeFFFFFF801803bba0) 
Any Ideas?

If I get this working I will upload the new clover EFI folder here for anyone interested. 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello,

I also got a Dell 7720 SE and I like it, OSx86 works fine.

I'm using 10.9.5 with legacy boot (don't ask why) and a modified version of WaldMeister's EFI folder. I modified some of the kext because Apple libraries higher than 8.0.0 were neccessary, so all kexts are working. AppleALC.kext is loaded, I also added the IDT 92HD91BXX (Codec ID: 0x111D76E0 / 287143648), but during booting it's displayed that the pinout is wrong. How can I create a new one? VoodooHDA works, but main volume control is not possible. It's a bit annyoing to use the volume control of each program. EDIT: VoodooHDA is patched, now volume works.

Other issues:

- Sometimes the computer stops for a second.

- No HD4000 Graphics HDMI output. I need it for my Wacom Cintiq.

- The battery is wrong calculated, when it shows 7% and 6 minutes remaining I still have about 25 minutes in normal use.

- If the battery is empty, it switches off without warning.

- Voodoo Trackpad is loaded, but not shown in System Preferences. I have an older version which did.

- The HD is extremely slow - less than 40 MB/s sequential reading.

- Is there progress with getting the nVidia GPU to work?

- Cardreader has drivers using modified Sinetel-rtsx.kext (loaded) and AppleUSBCardReder.kext (not loaded), but still no success.

Otherwise the Dell is a nice laptop, two SSDs and one HD possible, sleep is working. Would be nice to get the last issues solved. In the attachment is DisplayMergeNub.kext (based on Macbook Air) and a color profile for the display. Copy it into /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays.

EDIT: I added a second profile which is better when you have the laptop on your knees.

Greets, naquaada.

Dell 17R SE 7720 Color Profiles.zip

Edited by naquaada

So, here's again a listing what's working. It's everything important for an OSx86 machine.

- Sleep

- Battery has to be tested

- Intel HD4000 brightness

- WLAN using Atheros 9285

- Sound via VoodooHDA

Headphones isn't shown usually, but when you plug in a headphone it'll switch automatically and disables the speakers. Then in the output list 'Headphones' is shown. Volume control via buttons is working.

The Dell 17R Special Edition 7720 is often available for around 300 Euro, that's not too much for what you get. Even the CPU is upgradeable. The 17" display has good quality and is very bright, it's also not glossy. The fan is used very rarely. You can use one mSATA SSD and two harddisks. However, the second harddisk is directly next to the CPU's heatpipe, so it's best to use a M.2 SSD with a 2,5" adapter. Multiple hardrivers are very useful for multiboot: You can use one drive for OSx86-related stuff with GPT, EFI and a nVidia-disabled graphics ACPI, another drive for other operating systems using a MBR partition block which is more flexible. Windows, Linux and Android-x86 are working on the Dell 7720.

Edited by naquaada