[Guide]Dell Inspirion 17R SE (7720) Installation Guide

* * * * * 2 votes Dell 7720 17r SE Mountain Lion OSX86 Installation Retail Guide

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

FelipeZé

FelipeZé

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Tried both solutions. 

The display will not wake up, not even in legacy mode, was worth a try.

About the function keys, it's just the brightness keys that do not work. I tried your solution, but it makes no difference. Also, the voodoops2controller breaks the touchpad.

You tried RehabMan's ps2controller with his fakesmc, service running and everything??? it's very strange because his ps2controller was the only way for me to get my touchpad's physical click working =~, have you added the name in the dsdt for the brightness as described in the topic and installed genericbrightness?? it's very strange that it is not working as we have simmilar specs...

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

His fakesmc is not relevant to the ps2controller. Service was running etc, did some thorough testing. Nothing wrong with the dsdt edits and kexts.

Although we have similar specs, the systems can, and as it seems, differ a lot. 

john.katzenbach

john.katzenbach

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

So after some trouble with my usb Stick ML is running with some questions...i installed it with iaktos ML2 USB Stick removed the USB Kext which makes trouble "no root device" after that booting fine :-) installed all Kext from this thread but couldn't find the dsdt.aml in the extra folder. I manually copied the dsdt.aml after that i got a system error. Removed system boots again.

My problem the Graphics are running on the right resolution but without the correct graphics adapter shown as unknown. Sound doesn't work too. 

Bluetooth works fine i use my smartphone with bluetooth tethering to get an internet connection. no need for buying an wlan adapter :-) keyboard works fine too. 

trackpad is ok too. are there any kext for the HD4000, or for the sound chip? DSDT.aml i have no idea. I need some help to get the rest working.

squeffrey

squeffrey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Lan, only with specific settings. Official Realtek driver.

Can you say more?  What settings?  What do I need to do?

I'm not getting any network (ethernet), at all.

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

So after some trouble with my usb Stick ML is running with some questions...i installed it with iaktos ML2 USB Stick removed the USB Kext which makes trouble "no root device" after that booting fine :-) installed all Kext from this thread but couldn't find the dsdt.aml in the extra folder. I manually copied the dsdt.aml after that i got a system error. Removed system boots again.

My problem the Graphics are running on the right resolution but without the correct graphics adapter shown as unknown. Sound doesn't work too. 

Bluetooth works fine i use my smartphone with bluetooth tethering to get an internet connection. no need for buying an wlan adapter :-) keyboard works fine too. 

trackpad is ok too. are there any kext for the HD4000, or for the sound chip? DSDT.aml i have no idea. I need some help to get the rest working.

Hi,

The method on how to get this system up and running is in my opinion well explained in the first post. For that, i do no support the use of distributions, since i do not know what you have selected. The DSDT.aml, audio and video kexts, can be found in the attached files.

Can you say more?  What settings?  What do I need to do?

I'm not getting any network (ethernet), at all.

Hi,

Ignore the file, and just read the post, correct the settings according on your system, should solve the problem: http://www.insanelym...-realtek-8105e/

squeffrey

squeffrey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Ignore the file, and just read the post, correct the settings according on your system, should solve the problemhttp://www.insanelym...-realtek-8105e/

Thing is, when I go to Network, there's nothing listed in the left pane.  If i click the "+," I get only VPN, PPoE, and 6 to 4 as interfaces.  There is no Ethernet.

Thanks.

As a seperate issue...

I'm having a little trouble installing Clover or Chamelon, because I left my Dell 7720's hard drive the way it came from the factory.

This means a few things.

First, the hard drive is setup as Intel Smart Response in the BIOS.  In order to get anything to work, I needed to change this to AHCI.  This does allow me to successfully install OSX as per the instructions.  However, this also means that I can no longer boot into Windows 7.  If I try to do so (just by starting the machine with the HD the primary boot device), it says that there is no operating system.  I need to go back to iSRT in order to boot to Windows.

If I boot from my MacOS install USB drive (as built from above) and select the "C" drive, it still fails.  Worse, if I then reboot to the USB drive, it doesn't load Chamelon any more.  It's as if the USB drive was written to, somehow, by Chamelon to say "don't boot Chamelon from this drive any more."  Does this make sense.

So, now I'm stuck not being able to boot into OSX any more.

I should note that I have OSX on the same physical drive.  Since the 7720 is a laptop, I cannot add a second drive (although there is a SSD used for cache).  I've tried installing Clover to a USB hard drive.  However, the instructions for Clover talk about creating a new boot option in the BIOS.  My BIOS does not let me create a new boot option, and doesn't even show the USB hard drive as a choice to boot from.

There's really several things here.

First, is there a way I can repair my USB flash drive to un-do the "don't boot from Chamelon any more" problem I've run into?  Or do I need to rebuilt it from scratch?  I suspect the later, since when I plug the flash drive back into a real Mac, it tells me "The disk you inserted was not reable by this computer."

Second, other than reformatting my hard drive, any way to get a boot loader that will permit both OSX and Windows?  If not, I'm OK with needing a "key" (in the form of a flash drive) to boot one or the other. 

When I built a Hackintosh a few years ago (dual boot to Windows XP), I recall using a Microsoft boot manager that let me pick which OS to run.  Does that no longer work?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Hi,

Install the driver from here, reboot, and follow the instructions in the previous post: http://www.realtek.c...3&GetDown=false

Boot with -f to skip kernel cache. 

Since the 7720 is a laptop, I cannot add a second drive

This statement is false. you can remove the cover on the bottom of the laptop, and install an extra 2,5 inch HDD. This will not void your warranty. 

About Clover, if you go in to the bios, and select the boot options, set it to UEFI boot, this will allow you to add boot options. As long as it is in Legacy mode, you will not be able to do so. 

About Chameleon and the USB, i recommend rebuilding it, from what i see from your explanation, somehow the USB has been corrupted, what and how, i do not know, and the error you are describing is something i have not come across yet, so i do not have a solution for that. 

I recommend getting Chameleon back to work on the USB device, since you have access to a real Mac, this should not be the problem. 

Replace the contents of the USB device with my package for Chameleon, and you should be able to boot from the HDD. (At least OS X) 

After that, you can install any bootloader you like. My guess is that you are using Legacy boot, and so is Windows, so i recommend installing Chameleon to the HDD. 

If you can not boot Windows after installing Chameleon, mark the Windows partition active in OS X. Boot from the Windows DVD/USB, and run the startup repair. 

Now boot back in to OS X using the USB device, and set the partition on which Chameleon is installed to active. 

Now you should be able to boot OS X and Windows using Chameleon.

I do recall the method, it had something to do with adding the boot0 file to the Windows bootloader, i have no idea if this still works with the current version of OS X and Windows, in theory it should. But it is outdated, and there are easier/better methods available.

Hope this helps.

squeffrey

squeffrey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi,

Install the driver from here, reboot, and follow the instructions in the previous post: http://www.realtek.c...3&GetDown=false
Boot with -f to skip kernel cache.

This statement is false. you can remove the cover on the bottom of the laptop, and install an extra 2,5 inch HDD. This will not void your warranty.

About Clover, if you go in to the bios, and select the boot options, set it to UEFI boot, this will allow you to add boot options. As long as it is in Legacy mode, you will not be able to do so.

About Chameleon and the USB, i recommend rebuilding it, from what i see from your explanation, somehow the USB has been corrupted, what and how, i do not know, and the error you are describing is something i have not come across yet, so i do not have a solution for that.

I recommend getting Chameleon back to work on the USB device, since you have access to a real Mac, this should not be the problem.

Replace the contents of the USB device with my package for Chameleon, and you should be able to boot from the HDD. (At least OS X)

After that, you can install any bootloader you like. My guess is that you are using Legacy boot, and so is Windows, so i recommend installing Chameleon to the HDD.

If you can not boot Windows after installing Chameleon, mark the Windows partition active in OS X. Boot from the Windows DVD/USB, and run the startup repair.

Now boot back in to OS X using the USB device, and set the partition on which Chameleon is installed to active.

Now you should be able to boot OS X and Windows using Chameleon.

I do recall the method, it had something to do with adding the boot0 file to the Windows bootloader, i have no idea if this still works with the current version of OS X and Windows, in theory it should. But it is outdated, and there are easier/better methods available.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. The network driver worked (took a few tries to get it to install without error),

A big thanks on the HDD. I had no idea there was an extra drive slot. I had a spare drive, so I was able to install it and put OSX on that.

Unfortunately, my BIOS has no such options. No mention of legacy mode, no EFI. But since I can boot to my second HD with Enoch (I know the warning). I'm good for now.

Thanks again.

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Hi,

Well, we have the same system, so your bios should also have those options. Perhaps you should update it. Dell provides an application to do so from Windows. 

Glad it worked out so far.

john.katzenbach

john.katzenbach

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

The Realtek Network Driver is only working with manual configuration!!!

Hardware Register:

manual

10BaseT UDP

Full Duplex

MTU Standard 1500

only these settings work. My Network interface is running fine, with these configuration

IP Adresses manuall too!!

Coasterghost

Coasterghost

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Just wondering, has anyone gotten 10.8.4 or Mavericks on the system yet, also any solution ATM for the intel wifi?

squeffrey

squeffrey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Just wondering, has anyone gotten 10.8.4 or Mavericks on the system yet, also any solution ATM for the intel wifi?

I just used 10.8.4 (what is currently available in the Mac App Store) to make my install flash drive. No problems. Haven't tried Mavericks, but I've found (after weeks of struggling to install) that I have a very stable system.

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Hi Coasterghost,

There is and will not be a solution for the Intel wireless cards anytime soon. The iwidarwin project has been stopped years ago, and i have not found anything about future development yet. 

For reference: http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

I'm running 10.8.4 with the files provided in the first post. 

About Mavericks, it does run, but unfortunately, only with Chameleon, somehow when i use Clover as bootloader, it will stall on patching the boot.efi, it seems to be an uncommon problem, which i have not found a solution for yet. 

Mavericks runs with the intelcpupm patch, the Intel HD 4000 is recognized as 512mb without editing, only injecting the ig-platform-id in the DSDT. Wifi injection through DSDT did not work anymore, so it will need kext patching, i inject the Atheros AR9285. (Patching the kexts is not that big of a deal.)

I have not tested further, this was with DP1, think a lot has changed in the meanwhile. 

Coasterghost

Coasterghost

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Have you done your's so it's Windows on HDD1 then Mac and Linux of HDD2?

Hi Coasterghost,

There is and will not be a solution for the Intel wireless cards anytime soon. The iwidarwin project has been stopped years ago, and i have not found anything about future development yet. 

For reference: http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

I'm running 10.8.4 with the files provided in the first post. 

About Mavericks, it does run, but unfortunately, only with Chameleon, somehow when i use Clover as bootloader, it will stall on patching the boot.efi, it seems to be an uncommon problem, which i have not found a solution for yet. 

Mavericks runs with the intelcpupm patch, the Intel HD 4000 is recognized as 512mb without editing, only injecting the ig-platform-id in the DSDT. Wifi injection through DSDT did not work anymore, so it will need kext patching, i inject the Atheros AR9285. (Patching the kexts is not that big of a deal.)

I have not tested further, this was with DP1, think a lot has changed in the meanwhile. 

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

I have to update my signature, i do not run Windows and Linux anymore.

But in the past, OS X was on 1 HDD, Linux and Windows on the other. 

Coasterghost

Coasterghost

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

I have to update my signature, i do not run Windows and Linux anymore.

But in the past, OS X was on 1 HDD, Linux and Windows on the other. 

I cant for the love of me make the Bootloader USB, My only other hackintosh wont run Pandora, and the best i can do an a VMWare Mac from SoulTeamDev is make the DVD. 

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

What error do you receive when starting or running Pandora? 

Coasterghost

Coasterghost

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

What error do you receive when starting or running Pandora? 

In VMWare I can't mount the USB stick becuase of the SoulteamDev and 3.0 and Pandora won't even run, The other hackintosh I have is running Leopard. I think I'm first going to have to make a DVD iso installer, Install it to an old HDD on the system then make the proper USB installer.

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

It will only run from Snow Leopard and up, could be Lion. 

About the SoulDevTeam, i have no idea... Why not create your own vanilla VM? 

Coasterghost

Coasterghost

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

It will only run from Snow Leopard and up, could be Lion. 

About the SoulDevTeam, i have no idea... Why not create your own vanilla VM? 

It was from a while ago from SoulTeamDev for VMWare. It's 10.8.0 and It really was a test to see if Mac worked on my system. How should I go in making the Bootdisc?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dell, 7720, 17r SE, Mountain, Lion, OSX86, Installation, Retail, Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy