[Guide]Dell Inspirion 17R SE (7720) Installation Guide

WaldMeister

207 posts in this topic

Hi and first of all, thanks a lot for your guide!

I got everything working fine, even the stock touchpad and keyboard - BUT, every start I get the "No keyboard found"-message although its working. Okay, not too bad, I just could disable that. But what is really annoying is, that the key ("greater than") next to the shift key is not working, thus making it impossible to code in obj-c ;) can you help? 

Hi, it's a german QWERTZ and the only problem is the stock keyboard.

If I use a Logitech K200 via a Display Link "Dockingstation (USB3.0)" it's working fine... but as you know, it's not that smart to travel with a laptop and an extra keyboard ;)

Hi,

Just looked at the mapping, the key is at the same location as with Belgian AZERTY. The Logitech K200 is also QWERTZ? 

Only thing i can think of, is that is has something to do with the appleps2controller, you could try the voodoops2controller, be sure to have a usb mouse/keyboard present when trying this. (These 2 kexts are responsible for the internal keyboard/touchpad devices)

Had the same problem on an Belgian laptop, could not test further, since the laptop had to go in to repair, can't find the problem on any fora also, so the above would be my best guess. 

Sure, 

Open terminal and type: kextstat

In the terminal window open search, and search for Voodoops2, and/or appleps2

If you find both, or only the appleps2controller, navigate in finder to /System/Library/Extensions

Look for Voodoops2controller.kext, if it is there, delete the applps2controller.

Now reboot, using the following flags: -v -f

Voodoo should be loaded now. If not, you will need the external keyboard and mouse to remove the kext, and reinstall the Appleps2controller. 

Also remember to use an application like Kext Wizard, to install the kexts. 

• Like 1

Here's what I found by searching "ps2":

com.apple.AppleACPIPS2Nub (1.6.1)

com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Controller (2.0.0)

com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Keyboard (2.0.0)

com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad (2.0.0)

org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller (1.8.5)

I'll try removing now ApplePS2Controller - is it everything I have to remove? - and hope you'll hear back from me pretty soon ;)

Should be all. 

I do not know if Voodoo uses AppleACPIPS2Nub, should be integrated in to the kext, so if it is in the Extensions folder, you could also remove that if any errors occur after removing the appleps2controller.

• Like 1

Two things about your tutorial Lejenk, i've read you did not managed to get FN keys working for brightness... I also have a dell running ivy bridge HM77 and it works for me, so, maybe u can make it work for you the same way, you can use the patch i attached in yout DSDT (it is for Ivy bridge notebooks in general) to get FN keys working, then, use the GenericBright.kext and do another patch to the DSDT will make FN for brightness work:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/236835-updated-2012-genericbrightnesskext/

(I use the first method)

I also use RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller maybe it has something to do with the key mapping...

About the sleep, you can not wake, it is a well known issue on UEFI mode of clover, we need a UEFI video bios to solve it, I manage to get wake working by just changing to legacy boot... I wanted to use UEFI but it is better legacy with working sleep...

Hi FelipeZ,

I was looking for a more native solution for the brightness keys, but i think i'll try the kext for now, hopefully it works without the voodoops2controller.

I'll try the legacy boot this evening, somehow i have never gotten legacy boot mode to work with Clover, so have to look in to that.

Thanks for the info. 

Hi FelipeZ,

I was looking for a more native solution for the brightness keys, but i think i'll try the kext for now, hopefully it works without the voodoops2controller.

I'll try the legacy boot this evening, somehow i have never gotten legacy boot mode to work with Clover, so have to look in to that.

Thanks for the info. 

That's strange, to make it work I just installed clover In the MBR of another hard drive and replaced the CLOVER folder with the one I use for UEFI boot, never had to patch anything...

Tried both solutions. 

The display will not wake up, not even in legacy mode, was worth a try.

About the function keys, it's just the brightness keys that do not work. I tried your solution, but it makes no difference. Also, the voodoops2controller breaks the touchpad.

Tried both solutions. 

The display will not wake up, not even in legacy mode, was worth a try.

About the function keys, it's just the brightness keys that do not work. I tried your solution, but it makes no difference. Also, the voodoops2controller breaks the touchpad.

You tried RehabMan's ps2controller with his fakesmc, service running and everything??? it's very strange because his ps2controller was the only way for me to get my touchpad's physical click working =~, have you added the name in the dsdt for the brightness as described in the topic and installed genericbrightness?? it's very strange that it is not working as we have simmilar specs...

His fakesmc is not relevant to the ps2controller. Service was running etc, did some thorough testing. Nothing wrong with the dsdt edits and kexts.

Although we have similar specs, the systems can, and as it seems, differ a lot. 

So after some trouble with my usb Stick ML is running with some questions...i installed it with iaktos ML2 USB Stick removed the USB Kext which makes trouble "no root device" after that booting fine :-) installed all Kext from this thread but couldn't find the dsdt.aml in the extra folder. I manually copied the dsdt.aml after that i got a system error. Removed system boots again.

My problem the Graphics are running on the right resolution but without the correct graphics adapter shown as unknown. Sound doesn't work too. 

Bluetooth works fine i use my smartphone with bluetooth tethering to get an internet connection. no need for buying an wlan adapter :-) keyboard works fine too. 

trackpad is ok too. are there any kext for the HD4000, or for the sound chip? DSDT.aml i have no idea. I need some help to get the rest working.

So after some trouble with my usb Stick ML is running with some questions...i installed it with iaktos ML2 USB Stick removed the USB Kext which makes trouble "no root device" after that booting fine :-) installed all Kext from this thread but couldn't find the dsdt.aml in the extra folder. I manually copied the dsdt.aml after that i got a system error. Removed system boots again.

My problem the Graphics are running on the right resolution but without the correct graphics adapter shown as unknown. Sound doesn't work too. 

Bluetooth works fine i use my smartphone with bluetooth tethering to get an internet connection. no need for buying an wlan adapter :-) keyboard works fine too. 

trackpad is ok too. are there any kext for the HD4000, or for the sound chip? DSDT.aml i have no idea. I need some help to get the rest working.

Hi,

The method on how to get this system up and running is in my opinion well explained in the first post. For that, i do no support the use of distributions, since i do not know what you have selected. The DSDT.aml, audio and video kexts, can be found in the attached files.

Can you say more?  What settings?  What do I need to do?

I'm not getting any network (ethernet), at all.

Hi,

Ignore the file, and just read the post, correct the settings according on your system, should solve the problem: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/55-realtek-8105e/